1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Celtics emerge as serious suitor for Lee, Rockets open to sign&trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HMMMHMM, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Convictedstupid

2. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

3. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

recent video....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IfMDN-SQjRo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

One more quote --

4. AFS

AFS Member

Seems like it'd be harder to include Lamb in the Dwight trade now. At least, I certainly hope that's the case.

5. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

I have gotten the impression that players absolutely love Doc Rivers and he can sell anything to them.

6. konver5ation

konver5ation Member

Asking why a player would want to play in Boston is a silly silly question.

You can easily find better ways to use your ISP's bandwidth.

Boston is a historic winning franchise and Courtney has known Doc Rivers ten times longer than he's known McHale... But after getting to the NBA finals as a rookie, Courtney wants some playoff redemption and I don't blame him.

I wish him well, he'll be missed.

7. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

No. Base Year Compensation issues relate to when a player receives a massive raise over his prior year's salary. Marcus Camby was coming off a year in which he made over $11 million, so there were no BYC issues there. Lee is likely due to make considerably more than the ~$2.2 million salary he got last season in his new deal with Boston.

Roughly, yes. At least prior to the Lee S&T deal.

Not counting any guaranteed salary coming back from Boston, if the Rockets (1) waive all their fully non-guaranteed players (i.e., they keep Livingston and Smith), (2) renounce rights to Lee and Dragic and (3) don't sign any of the 2012 first rounders above scale, THEN the Rockets should have about $8.8 million in available cap room. That's AFTER adding both Lin and Asik. Again, that number goes down by the amount of any guaranteed salary (such as JuJuan Johnson's) coming back from Boston.

8. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

The fact that it's next year's second-round pick from Charlotte is encouraging. That's every bit as much of a first-round pick as, say, one from Miami. :)

9. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

More non guaranteed contracts and picks to send to Orlando.

10. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

2nd rounder, JaJuan Johsnon, E'Twaun Moore, and Sean Williams for Lee, not a bad hall

11. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

I meant Haul, I fixed it

12. Garner

Garner Member

Its a great point.

Every second round pick, I assume to be another Chandler Parsons. very exciting.

13. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Me thinks that Jeremy Lamb ain't going anywhere.

14. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

Bima, why are we keeping Dragic's rights on the books? Are we holding out hope for a S&T? If so, what might a theoretical trade look like?

15. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Until the Rockets absolutely, positively must have the cap room occupied by his cap hold, why WOULDN'T the Rockets hold onto Dragic's cap hold?

ACTUALLY... If the Rockets immediately waive Moore (there's some question as to whether his contract has become fully guaranteed as a Rockets vs. non-guaranteed as a Celtic - I'd like to check into that), they actually could extend the Asik offer sheet and STILL keep Dragic's cap hold on the books!

16. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

Is Phoenix unable to sign Dragic to the contract they offered him without us relinquishing his rights? I understand they won't make any moves that are not advantageous until they absolutely have to, but I'm just trying to understand what the potential pay-off might be.

17. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Not quite sure, but might allow PHX to use up a little extra cap room then make a trade for Dragic using 150% salary matching rights. That would be tricky, however, from the Rockets' standpoint, as there are BYC issues with trading Dragic with his new starting salary.

If the Rockets can squeeze an extra second rounder out of a Dragic S&T, that's plenty reason enough for me.

I'm not holding my breath, though.

18. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Cash or a 2nd rounder from the Rockets most likely, but yes the Suns could sign Dragic out-right, but they haven't yet as far as I know.

The Suns did introduced Dragic today, but I haven't read anything about him having officially signed, though.

19. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Wonder if this is the hold-up:

Steve Bulpett ‏@SteveBHoop
    Courtney Lee deal may be in trouble. Sides trying to keep it alive

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

CHA 2nd rounder should be a good one. And the primary motivation for the trade.