1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Celtics] Danny Ainge resigns; Brad Stevens moves into Front Office

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Jun 2, 2021.

1. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

What has Brad Stevens done in the NBA to warrant such a promotion?

2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I would have kept Stevens as the coach--give him a raise if you want--and throw everything at Ujiri to leave Toronto.

3. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

yep the problem was the roster makeup so that's on Ainge

Stevens' being promoted gives a feeling he was for trading for Harden while Ainge wasn't

4. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

the relevant question.

5. TimDuncanDonaut

I remember him from the show.

:D the resemblance is there. He did equipment management too if I recalled. Pack the balls in car trunks.

SamFisher likes this.
  6. steddinotayto

This is the third time since I started watching the NBA where a Rockets player has embarrassed Ainge. The first was when Elie almost lit Danny's ass up during the playoffs. The second was when Horry threw that towel in Ainge's face. The third time just happened where Harden sent his team packing when Ainge could have probably saved Boston's season had he traded for James.

Nook, clos4life, pippendagimp and 2 others like this.
  7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

He didnt' want to coach anymore anyway according to Woj.

I don't get the hype on Stevens, I don't think he's terrible either. He ovarachieved when the Celtics core was young and had no expectations and underachieved a bit once they matured and got more expectations.

I'd put more blame on Ainge for thinking they can grow organically in a fiendishly competitive league and thinking Kemba was going to be the budget Kyrie.

In this league, the Daryl "Go big or go home every year!" approach seems a better fit than the Ainge "let's pretend to make big trades but not do anything" approach. Like Daryl says, your window is very short and you never know when it's going to close.

Nook, FrontRunner, clos4life and 6 others like this.
  8. malakas

malakas Member

So the Celtics end up with a worse coach and an unqualified inexperienced green hand POBO?
    LOL

You hate to see it.

Anyway I thought that Ainge had trained his son for years to take his position.

clutchdabear and hakeem94 like this.
  9. Reeko

Reeko Member

confused why Lloyd Pierce would be a candidate...the difference between him and Nate McMillan in Atlanta was monumental

10. steddinotayto

I think the issue is the players Ainge have acquired over the past few years (Hayward, Irving, Kemba, etc.) couldn't offer any consistency because each of those players got injured. For Stevens to get Boston to the playoffs and make runs with Marcus Smart as your third best player is pretty impressive in my opinion, especially when the rest of your roster outside of 3 or 4 players are pretty mediocre at best.

raining threes likes this.
  11. J.R.

J.R. Member

“Gonna own the draft for the next decade and/or can trade for any star they want!”

“All I got was Jayson Tatum, Jaylen Brown and bunch of media leaks how close we were to acquiring [star player]!”

Kevin Garnett
    Paul Pierce
    Jason Terry
    D.J. White
    2017 1st round pick (Kyle Kuzma was later selected)
    2017 2nd round pick (Sasha Vezenkov was later selected)

Keith Bogans
    MarShon Brooks
    Kris Humphries
    Kris Joseph
    Gerald Wallace
    2014 1st round pick (James Young)
    2016 1st round pick (Jaylen Brown)
    2017 1st round pick (Markelle Fultz—>traded to Philadelphia for the 3rd pick(Tatum) & a 2019 1st round pick (Romeo Langford))
    2018 1st round pick (Collin Sexton—>traded to Cleveland as a future first with Jae Crowder, Isaiah Thomas, Ante Žižić & a 2020 2nd round pick for Kyrie Irving)

Celtics Tried To Trade For Nikola Vucevic

Celtics Were Far More Interested, Involved In James Harden Trade Talks Than Assumed
    Ainge: Price For James Harden Was Really High For Us
    The Celtics were similarly close to a deal for Jimmy Butler in 2017, but they were unwilling to include the No. 3 pick in that draft which became Jayson Tatum or the 2018 pick from Brooklyn included in the Kyrie Irving trade.

Boston also discussed a similar trade that month with the Indiana Pacers for Paul George, but Tatum's second workout convinced them otherwise.

According to Brian Robb of the Boston Sports Journal, the Rockets were asking for Jaylen Brown, Marcus Smart and draft compensation.
    Celtics 'Aggressively Pursued' Trade For Davis Bertans

Celtics Offered Gordon Hayward, Three 2020 First Rounders For Jrue Holiday

Warriors, Celtics Discussed Marcus Smart For No. 2
    Talks fell through for both parties as the Celtics rejected an unknown counteroffer. The Celtics and Warriors are not expected to pick up talks.​

Gordon Hayward 'Fully Focused' On Ending Up With Pacers
    Gary Washburn of the Boston Globe reports the Pacers are offering Myles Turner and Doug McDermott for Hayward, while the Celtics are seeking Turner and either T.J. Warren or Victor Oladipo. ​

Celtics, 76ers Decided Against Kawhi Leonard Trade Due To Belief He'd Sign In L.A. In 2019
    The Celtics were believed to also be saving their assets for an Anthony Davis trade that ultimately never materialized for them following the expected departure of Kyrie Irving.
    Suns/Celtics Trade For Terry Rozier Fell Apart Over Pick Protections
    The Phoenix Suns offered a protected first round pick to the Boston Celtics before the start of the season for Terry Rozier.

The Celtics demanded an unprotected first round pick in exchange for Rozier, who will be a restricted free agent this offseason.​

Celtics Reportedly Offered Several Of Their Best Draft Assets To Spurs For Kawhi Leonard

Celtics Offered Pacers 3 FRP (not Nets or Lakers/Kings), Jae Crowder, 2nd Starter For Paul George

Celtics Unwilling To Trade No. 3 In 2017 Or Brooklyn's 2018 Pick To Bulls For Jimmy Butler

Celtics Tried To Trade Up For Joel Embiid In 2014

Celtics Allegedly Had Draymond Green In Top-3 Before 2012 Draft

Celtics Targeted Trade For Jahlil Okafor
    The Boston Celtics targeted Jahlil Okafor shortly before the trade deadline, according to a source.

The Celtics also reportedly targeted Kevin Love and Al Horford.

Boston decided to keep the Brooklyn Nets' unprotected 2016 first round pick.​

Celtics Held Several Large Trade Talks Using David Lee's Contract
    The Boston Celtics were close to trading David Lee's expiring $15.5 million contract in a deadline deal.

The Celtics instead waived Lee.

“We almost had trades a few times, or thought there was a possibility,” Ainge said. “His contract was a good way for us to get into a lot of the conversations we had."​

Celtics Were Interested In Julius Randle From Lakers For Rondo
    The Boston Celtics had interest in acquiring Julius Randle from the Los Angeles in their trade discussions centered on Rajon Rondo. Randle is out for the season with a broken leg.

The Lakers have long sought to acquire Rondo from the Celtics.

Rondo was eventually traded to the Dallas Mavericks.​

12. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

does brad stevens run people into ground tom thibodou style with his insistence on defense and hustle?
    dont forget isaah thomas

14. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Boston gonna draft a bunch of mid major youngins now...

15. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

This is what I was about to comment. Kyrie did this.

Also, hate to racialize what is going on here, but the next Celtic coach will be Black. It's sad because the Celtics have a solid history in regards to race. The people of Boston just suck.

ExTexanNowEastCoast and hakeem94 like this.
  16. steddinotayto

I don't think so. Hayward's injury was unfortunate in that it was pretty much a freak accident. Isaiah's was something I think he dealt with since his Sacramento/Phoenix days. Kyrie and Kemba both had their own share of injuries before getting to Boston.

I mean it's been pretty unfortunate that a lot of their acquisitions have showed up and gotten injured but that shouldn't be on Stevens.

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. steddinotayto

The next logical step is to hire Kevin McHale, let him take that team through a few mediocre seasons.

Nook, clos4life, hakeem94 and 4 others like this.
  18. J.R.

J.R. Member

#38 J.R., Jun 2, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2021
  19. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Oh, wow, put some money on Becky Hammon. It would be awesome to see Sam Cassell coaching, though.

20. steddinotayto

I need to put $100 on Rick Pitino. Talk about a random (and infamous in Boston lore) name to put on the board lol

francis 4 prez and Patience like this.