1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Cell Phones] Google Pixel

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Snow Villiers, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

What a beautiful phone this is. Anyone get it?

2. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Probably wait for the follow-up. Hoping my 6P gets some longevity from 7.1

3. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

Gonna pass on the first version of most tech that comes out. I'll wait for the second one and weigh it against the S8.

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'm targeting the 2nd version, assuming my company will pay for it.

Should be able to survive another year with a Note 3. Looking forward to dumping Samsung. I'm almost glad the Note 7 "flamed out" and stopped me from getting one.

5. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Saw a friends snapchat with the most high red pic I have ever seen. Messaged me back just now saying it was the Google pixel

Snow Villiers likes this.
  6. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Yes, the camera sure is a thing of beauty.

7. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

There is a pretty lengthy discussion on this in 2016 Smartphones thread, everybody who owns it in there seem to love it so far

Snow Villiers likes this.
  8. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Wish they had a deal on the XL, hell wish it was in stock period on the website...

9. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

At that price it is a bit of a ripoff. I have Project Fi, and the Nexus 6P and would love a Pixel XL - but no way am I paying $750+ for it. Not when there are phones like the OnePlus 3T on the market for nearly half the price.

10. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

I'd have one if Verizon ever sends it to me. Ordered 10/18 and still waiting. EST date. 12/26 but now I've heard it's being pushed back to January. Lot of folks in this situation. While folks who ordered in November from the Play store have gotten theirs. What a crock-a-dile.

11. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

XL still not in stock. Looking more and more like I'm going to hold on to my 6P and just wait till next year. I still can't believe they have no Quite Black 128GB XL's in stock. It's been too long.

12. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Flash with Pure Nexus 7 Rom, thank me later.

I've heard the Pixel is a great device if you don't already have a phone in this cycle of new phones. It looks and feels like an iPhone. It also doesn't boast anything to make me throw away my 6P.

13. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Yeah, my cousin is in the same boat. Heard about the 12/26 had not heard about it possibly being pushed back til January. :eek:

14. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

i'm diggin' it quite a bit after having it for almost a month and a half. worth it alone for the cam imo though i'd be a liar if i said that i didn't miss the front-facing speakers. other than that, i have zero complaints thus far.

google's version of android in an iphone-ish body is what i wanted for a while. they delivered. :)

yikes! that's pretty messed up considering the xl goes in and out of stock a few times a week.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I am doing this and waiting on the competition

Rocket River

16. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Does Android pay still work? Kinda waiting for warranty to end before looking at rooting and putting a custom ROM. Of course that's the end of this month.

17. OmegaSupreme

Bump...

Seems like last year's Pixel was a stopgap. The Pixel 6/Pixel 6 Pro has leaked with a drastic redesign, it's own custom silicon (ditching Qualcomm), and supposedly a Pixel watch is in tow. Anyhow, Prosser (the leaker) sometimes gets it right, but another guy, Max, confirmed the leak and usually hits the nail on the head.

I'm game... anyone else?

Uprising likes this.
  18. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

The pixel looks good. I may ditch my iPhone. It's terribly boring and stagnant.

Jontro and OmegaSupreme like this.
  19. McNultyisDrunk

McNultyisDrunk Contributing Member

I'm down for the Geordi LaForge phone.

Hope they bring back the Neural Core with the WhiteChapel processor. The Pixel 5 really starts lagging when you take multiple photos at once.

And it's finally time for a new camera sensor. Fingers crossed!

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  20. OmegaSupreme

I tried IPhone again with the 12 pro max for a month earlier this year. I still have the same gripes that I had when I used the iPhone X for a quarter. Notifications needs an overhaul and there needs to be a back gesture that's uniform throughout the whole os. The latter is especially an issue with the wider Pro Max. Sometimes the back button is an arrow in the upper left corner, sometimes you have to tap "close" somewhere, maybe there's a x in the upper right corner to hit, or maybe you're in safari and swiping from the side will take you back. Annoying af. Again, with the aspect ratio being what it is, using two hands to simply navigate through the phone was a chore. Ending up trading it for the S21 Ultra, which will be gone come October.

Other than that I found that Apple's camera finally passed the Pixel 5 and it's predecessors. Also iOS widgets ran laps around Google's. That's pretty sad. I mean, even Google's iOS widgets are better than it's own Android widgets. And if course Apple's hardware isn't necessarily better, it's just that it's so polished that there's really nothing that compares in the Android world.

Yep... losing the neural core and the dated camera sensor were awful corners to cut. Processor wasn't too much of an issue though occasional launcher redraws were annoying. I still think that green and the symmetrical bezels made it the best looking Pixel to date, but gave it up as there was nothing really new about it.

Looks like Google will finally give a darn about their own stuff now. Looking forward to Fuchsia.