1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cecil Cooper - What to watch for?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by DaDakota, Aug 28, 2007.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Cecil said he had some ideas on how to do things differently. I wonder what that means, does it mean more youth? More veterans?

What do you guys think will happen to:

Biggio
    Scott
    Wiggington
    Lamb
    Everett
    Loretta
    Ausmus

I wonder how he will manage the team, at least I am not more interested in the last 31 games.

What do you guys think he will do differently?

DD

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

he is going to buy them all a copy of Herman Edwards classic autobiography, "You Play to Win the Game".

3. A-Train

A-Train Member

Three words:

Nude...

Batting...

Practice...

4. msn

msn Member

Long live the 80s!

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

I hope he brings much-needed fire and heart to this team.

6. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Casey Candale !

7. gotrock?

gotrock? Member

I mean really--what did you expect him to say, "I have some ideas on how we can do things the same"?? :p

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The only things he has indicated he will do differently is bat Pence leadoff and keep Berkman at first base. He also told Lamb he won't play as much because Wigginton is the third baseman.

9. msn

msn Member

I'm going to miss Lamb and Loretta next year. Heck, I've missed them this year.

10. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Member

i wonder if the team's stance on wiggington will change now that purpura is gone. he strikes me as yet another in purpura's long-line of league-average white guys who don't excel at any one thing.

i wouldn't have a problem with him being my third baseman next year; but i wouldn't necessarily be thrilled by it, either. nor would i let his presence steer me from signing or trading for a better one (should one come available).

that's one of the reasons cecil doesn't really, necessarily thrill me - he seems too status quo; too "company." i want a fresh, virgin perspective. if you're going to fire your GM *and* manager, then clean house completely. get new sets of eyes all over your organization. let's have someone else's take on chris burke; let's vanquish ourselves of jason lane; let's critically assess what the old regime was building, etc.

i also think the GM should be allowed to pick his manager; i think it's important they understand each other and get on the same page.

11. leroy

leroy Member

Apparently they've decided on making Wiggy the everyday 3B, telling Lamb that he won't be playing much for the rest of the season.

12. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Member

yeah, saw that which is what got me thinking. who's mandated that, i wonder?

they need a fresh set of eyes.

13. weslinder

weslinder Member

Someone with really bad eyes? Probably Milo.

14. Nick

Nick Member

Biggio/Burke are out of the leadoff spot in favor of Hunter Pence.

Pence represents an interesting dynamic... as his OBP is continuing to improve, but he's still a valuable component of RBI opportunities (which he gets less of in the leadoff spot).

Obviously, this is Cooper's call.

I'm still more interested in how he manages the rotation... and helps the development of Patton, Albers, recovering Backe, and recovering Sampson.

EDIT: So much for taking away Pence's RBI opportunities... 3 run HR.

#14 Nick, Aug 31, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2007
  15. MadMax

MadMax Member

and a 2 run HR later. 5 RBI's on the day, if you're scoring at home. ;)

16. Nick

Nick Member

Why all the crying for a leadoff hitter who can play CF? Look who we've got! ;)

17. Big Shot Bob

Big Shot Bob Member

What position players do you guys think the astros will realistically sign this winter? What do ya'll think our pitcing rotation will look like?

18. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I like how he is playing Pence as the leadoff and getting Scott more ABs, and anyone else notice that Berkman - despite all his struggles - is now up to .280?

DD

19. Major

Major Member

On PTI today, they said Bug Selig was talking to a Houston TV station yesterday and campaigning for Cecil Cooper to get the permanent managing job, publicly backing him and hoping he gets it. What the hell?

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

Probably because of the racial diversity thing.

I like what I've seen from him so far. Having Pence leadoff and keeping Berkman at first are good ideas.