1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cecil Cooper Fired

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by raw10628, Sep 21, 2009.

1. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Member

Shocker!

Not.

2. TheFreak

TheFreak Member

Has it been written anywhere that McLane is committed to playing young guys now? To punish Cooper for not playing young guys is completely laughable coming from him.

3. E-Man

E-Man Member

Finally! Coop is poop!!! :D

Now can we get rid of Ed Wade and Drayton too!?

Anyone saw ESPN News? Peter Gamons called Drayton "rational" like he can't understand what kind of owner the Astros have. He even went on to say this team is a mess. Makes me sick that looking to next season Ed Wade said he won't spend any money on getting any players here. I mean, who would want to come in play for this team now? I'm willing to bet Roy Oswalt might want an exit way out of Houston.

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Dierker won 4 division titles in 5 years, including the year he was fired. that seems like a rawer deal.

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Wolf had a 3 year 28 million dollar contract on the table and he was too slow to sign it. The economy kept tanking and the offer was pulled.

6. Major

Major Member

Phil Garner made the playoffs in 2 of his 3 years and won the only 3 playoff series this franchise has ever won, and got fired 1.5 years after making the WS too.

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Dierker had a better team, that's the point

8. Major

Major Member

Managers get fired all the time on crappy teams. What did Cooper do to justify keeping him? Did he make his crappy team any less crappy?

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

he did last season, you can't expect him to do it two years in a row, especially when the team got crappier

10. hjg877

hjg877 Member

Ed Wade's philosophy (and him having job security) is the problem.

Ed Wade's tombstone will say:

"Mediocrity is rebuilding in denial"

11. Kam

Kam Member

i dont mind rebuilding.

12. sammy

sammy Member

Dude with the hill named after him should follow Coop out of town

13. No Worries

No Worries Member

That's great since that's exactly what Tal and Ed are doing.

We are probably two years away from seeing the last next wave of prospects hit the bigs. By then, all of the current players at AA and AAA will be flushed out of the system.

14. plee

plee Member

It has but at the minor league level and this will still take about 3 to 4 years to get to a respectable level.

I think if they could unload one or two contracts to get some pitching it will be fine. But if they want to just blow it up that's fine also...

15. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Member

Aaron Boone
    Darrin Erstad
    Doug Brocail, so-so

Minor signings not counted on to be big producers and every team has some end-of-lineup guys who dont work out but still...

16. Convictedstupid

I have his autograph somewhere around my house. We should bring him back. Just because I have his autograph.

17. rockets934life

Sorry but it seems I am the only person who actually doesn't blame Wade for everything...I mean wade was given orders by your owner, what do you want them to do? Isn't this why Jerry left and Timmy sucked so much.

Boone had OPEN HEART SURGERY how is that his fault?
    Brocail was solid last year until he got overused by our former leader.
    Erstad was very Solid and if I recall correctly EVERYONE was wanting him to replace Bourn.

Ortiz was a non-roster guy and Hampton was solid at the end of last year.

Wolf would have been a Stros EXCEPT someone pulled the offer and it wasn't Wade.

18. No Worries

No Worries Member

Then you should be upset that Coop got the axe; he did what he was told, right?

19. rockets934life

Different responsiblites really Wade was given the job to build a team WITH THE RESOURCES given to him by Uncle D while Coop's job was to work with them. Was it Coop's fault this team sucked, of course not but he made decision that MADE NO SENSE along with alienating the veterns which is asking for trouble. Overall, If Wade got fired tomorrow I wouldn't be sad but I just don't get what decisions he has made to cripple the team because remember he would have signed Wolf but for Uncle D pulling the deal so you can't blame him there.

What moves could he have made to make this team alot better?

20. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Member

i think wade's in a pretty difficult spot - building a competitive major league team while trying to rebuild a decrepit farm. those are very nearly counter-intuitive. i think baseball is one of the rarer sports in that's it kind of hard to presently judge a GM. look at the phillies: most of their studs were picked on wade's watch, if i'm not mistaken.

nature of the beast; its the only sports where "rookies" get 3-5 years of seasoning before tasting the big leagues.