1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cecil Cooper Fired

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by raw10628, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Depressio

Depressio Member

Congratulations Kanye, and I'm going to let you finish, but Joe Wilson hates more black people.

2. msn

msn Member

Dude. Hanley Ramirez is one the best hitters in the NL, and Coop walked the guy before Ramirez. That's just dumb.

I'm with you on their crap *not* being justified. That crap should be fined. Or cut them.

Titty-babies. I wish we could fire the lot of them--and that *includes* Berkman and Oswalt *if* they were part of the childish whining. "They don't want to play for him" is crap. If I don't like my manager, and I start slouching on the job, *I* get canned.

Nothing reeks like a $10M-titty-baby.

3. rockets934life

Sorry Drayton that was a great firing but Acta getting fired was the best of all time!

4. UTweezer

UTweezer Member

great guy, very good player, but crappy manager for a bad team.

now, can we fire the owner?

5. HeyDude

HeyDude Member

Nicely said :cool:

6. juicystream

juicystream Member

Poor game managing, and players your players didn't like him. Garner was similar in that his game decisions would leave you scratching your head, but the players loved him. Cooper poorly managed the pen/rotation. He screwed up the lineup card. He couldn't make the right moves with the game on the line.

7. leroy

leroy Member

pgabriel...the first COF

:)

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

Just another band-aid move by Drayton. OMG, I am going to go buy season tickets now!

9. No Worries

No Worries Member

I disagree. The backend of the Astros starting rotation ruined the bullpen. I blame Ed Wade for giving Coop an exceptionally bad hand to play.

What was Coop supposed to do when Ortiz et al can pitch their way out of the 4th or 5th inning?

10. Blake

Blake Member

Clearly Drayton's stubborness and Wade's ineptness are major problems, but you are all smoking crack if you think Coop was a good manager.

Lineup cards...

Intentionally loading the bases to face Hanley Ramirez

Disastrous use of our bullpen

Head scratching decisions

Yes, I admit he didn't have much to work with. I don't blame him for our record, but he really was not a good manager. However, Ed and Drayton are more of the reason why we suck than Coop.

But I won't miss him and his mistakes

11. Major

Major Member

It wasn't a band-aid move. Regardless of the talent level, Cooper brought nothing to the table, so why retain him? Part of the problem is that this franchise rewards mediocrity, and that's what Cooper was.

This doesn't fix any of the team's problems, but if they do get the talent, it will be better with another manager as opposed to Cooper.

Talent was a major problem. Cooper was a minor problem. Both need to be addressed.

12. weslinder

weslinder Member

You can't fire the team.

13. Blake

Blake Member

Does it piss you off that you can't talk over people here like you do to callers on the air when you disagree with them?

Just curious (and am a fan of the show)

14. Jet Blast

Jet Blast Member

Can't say I am surprised by the firing. Cooper seemed like a nice guy and we all know he isn't the sole reason for the team's lackluster play.

The Astros should bring in Brad Ausmus to be their Manager. He seems to have a good baseball mind.

Peter Gammons said the team wants Jeff Bagwell to be part of the organization in some capacity. Not as a manager but some other role.

15. Major

Major Member

Not to go down the silly "McLane is a racist" road, but what black GM have the Astros had?

16. No Worries

No Worries Member

Bob Watson?

17. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Bob Watson

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

Well, it sounds like you are agreeing with me. I call it a band-aid move because it doesn't fix the team's major problems and Cooper was only a minor problem.

When is Drayton going to address the major problems? It's been too long already. He thinks he can get away with just signing washed up guys like Tejada or firing the manager, but it won't work.

19. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

So there's all this talk about Drayton being racist. How come nobody has pointed out that he appointed a black man as interim coach?

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

Bob Watson