1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cecil Cooper Fired

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by raw10628, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Mattj

Mattj Member

Quick question, who was the Astros manager in 2008 when the team won 86 games and was in the race? I forgot his name.

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

White managers get fired all the time when a crappy team plays crappy, Cooper is no different.

He made a lot of bad decisions and his players turned on him completely. He is not to blame for the team sucking, but he isn't a bonus either. Why not move on? They fired Phil Garner when he had a bad team as well.

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

oh yeah and i'm defending him because he won 86 last year with big mouth, excuse me big puma having an epic slump

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

He didn't win 86 games. Managers are so overrated...

5. MadMax

MadMax Member

did you honestly believe cecil cooper would keep his job after this season??

6. rockets934life

The same guy who lead this years team to 70 wins, has been the only manager to walk anyone to pitch to Hanley Ramirez, destroyed his bullpen and refused to play younger players when his vets were tired.

Can't fire the players remember...

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

ok...I'll admit I am a little pissed off and should have chosen my words more carefully but I guess his deal is so screwed up that I can't rule it out, sorry this world sucks that way.

and I am not a middle aged hot Black woman so don't get any ideas.

8. msn

msn Member

seconded.

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

OMG he walked some guy Hanley Ramirez in some game two months ago I'm such a great arm chair manager fire Coop

some of you guys are hilarious. I know he wasn't a great strategist, but Jimmy Williams supposedly was. Look where he is. its more than in game managment. and if you justify this sorry ass group of players talking behind his back being chosen over coop, well i guess that's your perogative

10. Mattj

Mattj Member

His best players sucked this year, and he was handed one of the worst rotations in baseball. Maybe the team shouldn't have been paying a SS $15 million or a DH $18.5. Who made those calls? Tal F'ing Smith, that's who. Tal Smith is the root of the problems. He's why Gerry left, and he's why their personnel moves suck. This organization is crippled by the fact that Drayton only listens to Tal.

11. rockets934life

This I agree with..big time!

P.S. can you tell Rich to stop being such a Debbie Downer...the Texans WON!

12. Plowman

Plowman Member
    Supporting Member

Loved Coop as a player on that great Brewer's team....

As mentioned by someone before......See him as top hitting instuctor....

But as manager, Cecil was overmatched.

That said, Uncle Draytie is wielding the axe with a smile.

13. Depressio

Depressio Member

Regardless, the impression I was getting is that the players in the clubhouse didn't like playing for Cooper. They sucked this year, and if you don't want them to suck next year, perhaps getting a manager they want to play for is a start in that direction.

Cooper wasn't playing the young guys, he was wearing out his bullpen (even with the expanded rosters), and a lot of the veteran players did not like him (according to folks like Richard Justice). Why on earth would you keep him?

14. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

None of that makes Cooper any good.

1 person likes this.
  15. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

I always thought of Cooper as nothing more than a transition manager. Good enough for the short term, but not a guy I would trust running the club in a 5-year period or so.

16. msn

msn Member

Excellent! Thank you.

by itself, that's reasonable. But if you have a look at the rest of the facts, it's absolutely inane to arrive at this conclusion:
    * Phil Garner, a League Champion manager, received the same treatment from the same owner
    * The organization has all races, including black, all over the place up-and-down from the field to the minors to the front office.
    * The Astros, owned by Drayton McLane, were the first franchise in MLB history to hire a black GM.

So, do yourself a favor and move on from the race card. Like you say, "this world sucks that way," so it's bad enough where real racism rears its ugly head--give yourself and the rest of us a break here, where it does *not* come into play.

:cool:

17. Depressio

Depressio Member

Oh, and I'm not disagreeing with firing Tal Smith. I'd be all for that, as well.

18. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Member

drayton hates black people :)

19. sammy

sammy Member

He's still getting paid. Nothing raw about that..

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

can't argue with that.