1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cecil Cooper Fired

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by raw10628, Sep 21, 2009.

1. msn

msn Member

Dumbass.... yeah, I said it. Dumbass.

Which franchise, under which owner, hired the first black GM in MLB history?

If you get the answer right, I'll upgrade your status from 'dumbass' to sincerely misguided.

2. Depressio

Depressio Member

I hope this opens the door for more Johnson/Maysonet/Manzella/Towles playing time the rest of the season.

Potential replacements?

Manny Acta, Bobby Valentine... those would be wonderful.

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

never seen a rawer deal.

i amazed some of justify this

4. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Member

I think Manny Acta moves to the top of the list.

5. Landlord Landry

I have to say, I am a little suprised.

Now if we can just fire the bullpen and Matsui. Miggy too.

6. leroy

leroy Member

I'd be willing to bet it had something to do with the mandate to play the youngsters and the fact that he was clearly resisting...that and he was a horrible manager.

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

you give him a singles lineup, a pissy ass staff, you wouldn't even resign wolf, then your best player has an off year, so does your best pitcher, but hey lets fire the manager

8. HeyDude

HeyDude Member

Sucks to be him, but the players never did like him much. And that'll usually get you fired, unless you're a very good manager...which in Coops case, he wasnt... :(

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

What?

10. HeyDude

HeyDude Member

Still, if you watched most of the games, Coop was a part of the problem as well.

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

you can can the team a dumbass all you want.

So the blame for players not doing their job and complaining about it the whole way is Coops?

So the fact that they inserted over the hill starting pitchers is Coops.

that they played AAA players since last week to end the season?

This is BS and you may not want to believe whats in your face so that's your fault but if its anyones fault this team failed so miserably it's ED WADE'S!

12. msn

msn Member

No problem with any of these statements. Perhaps Coop did get a raw deal. But to play the race card as the reason is myopic and stupid.

No upgrade in status for you.

13. leroy

leroy Member

Ed Wade gave him a mandate to play Johnson and Manzella more. Manzella hasn't seen the field since the 16th and Cooper said he wouldn't until after the St. Louis series. I'm wondering if they went back to Cooper and told him again to play the kids and he flat out said no. Why else fire him with only 13 games left in the season?

Why are you defending Cooper here? Yes, the players played like s*** for most of the season. It's pretty clear, however, that Cooper was a poor manager who had lost the clubhouse some time ago. I don't exactly agree with the timing, but this was going to happen one way or another.

14. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

That still doesn't excuse his terrible moves he has done. The IBB to pitch to Hanley Ramirez was the straw that broke my back.

Of course, the Astros still have the problem of being a terribly-run franchise.

15. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I third that.

16. msn

msn Member

I can think of several things Coop did this year that were real head-scratchers, so he is not without culpability, but...

...I certainly see where you're coming from. When was the last time these players were really held accountable? You know, for sucking?

The idiot that keeps ordering T-shirts needs to get cut or shipped out of town for a 1A-bench warmer and mebbe a six-pack.

Guys who don't run out grounders need to be immediately benched the rest of the game.

But yeah, Coop could have done a better job but it wouldn't have made this team not suck. Because they suck. :(

I wanted to see Coop succeed, too.

17. Major Malcontent

Drayton is an over-involved finger in every pie boss, who wasn't even a baseball fan before he bought the Astros. He loves the splashy, flashy big name signings, then tries to scrimp in other areas at the cost of wins. He doesn't really understand that unless you are the Yankees, or BoSox that sometimes you have to be bad to get really good again.

However, he does care about the team, and he is not, repeat not a racist. To imply otherwise is asinine.

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

hmm

:rolleyes:

19. MadMax

MadMax Member

Agreed. But that's not the point. You don't have to blame the season on him to still think he's not the right guy. I think his in-game decisions leave tons to be desired, regardless of who is on his roster.

I'm hoping this isn't the only change.

20. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

To go along with the horrible players????