1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CDRW Drive not appearing in My Computer

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by sourav004, Apr 9, 2005.

Tags:
  1. sourav004

sourav004 Member

I have windows xp and i have a CDRW drive and DVD drive. Both suddenly disappeared off of my computer folder. My Dvd drive came back but cdrw drive is still missing from my folder. I tried to install the hardware but it doesnt seem to be working. I dont know what to do so please help.

BTW. I have service pack 2

2. PhiSlammaJamma

I'm no expert, but I lost a drive once, restarted, and it came back.

3. sourav004

sourav004 Member

i tried restarting many time but still it didnt work. Man i really need my cdrw.
    Hope i dont have to get a new one.

4. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Do the drives show up in the BIOS? If not, try using a different power cable into the drive. Actually use the power and IDE cable that are currently running to the working DVD drive. See if that helps at all.

5. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

Does it show up under the Hardware profile?

6. sourav004

sourav004 Member

BIOS? How does that work?

7. Robert Snyder

Robert Snyder Contributing Member

If you have just installed a new CD Drive, you may have the Master/Salve settings wrong. Normally for my CD drives I just choose the 3rd option, Cable Select (may be abbreviated as CBL or CSL). On the back of the drive there is a pin setting for Master, Slave, & Cable Select. I have both of my CD drives on cable select, because if you choose the wrong setting the computer won't recognize the drives.

8. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

restart the computer and push del I think, or F5, I don't quite remember, it's being a while since I had to debug a computer. The new Emachines are surprsingly good computers.

9. sourav004

sourav004 Member

No the hardware doesnt show up on device manager but i dont know about BIOS. The CDRW isnt new it came with the computer. The computer doesnt seem to detect the CDRW so i dont know if i can install it.

10. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Have you checked the Device manager to make sure you do not have any kind of conflicts or anything with the IDE controllers or any device for tha matter with an exclimation point?

11. sourav004

sourav004 Member

There are no explanantion points and the CDRW doesnt even show up

12. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Your drive does have power though? If your comfortable with opening up your case check the cabling and make sure nothing is loose back there as far as the data cables and power cables.

13. sourav004

sourav004 Member

I had checked already and everything is fine back there.

14. sourav004

sourav004 Member

O man now my DVD player doesnt work either.
    Please help!
    Now i have no CD drives.
    I dont now what to do.
    :( :( :(

15. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Can you open your CDRW drive even though you can't see it in My Computer? Basically is it getting power? If so you may need to replace your IDE cable (the thick grey cable that connects the drives to the motherboard). You can get a new one for a few bucks at a computer store.