1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CDRW and DSL/Cable Router deals

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dr of Dunk, May 26, 2001.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I know some of you have been looking for CD-RW's and DSL/Cable Routers. I just got this off of anandtech :

CompUSA will be having a Memorial Day Weekend sale that starts Sunday (tomorrow).

They have a Netgear DSL/Cable router for $129 - $30 Manufacturer's rebate - $50 CompUSA mail-in rebate. So your final price would be $49.99. That's an incredible deal on a good router.

They also will have a 16x10x40 CD-RW made by Cendyne (a rebadged Teac) for $159.99 - $20 Instant Rebate - $40 Manufacturer's rebate. So your final price on that would be $99.99.

What most people are doing is buying these today and then going in tomorrow and asking for a price adjustment. CompUSA I think has a pricematching policy on their own prices valid for 2 weeks. Ask them before you make the purchase to be sure, but I think that's right.

The only thing I hate about CompUSA is their mail-in rebates either take forever to get or you don't get them. The manufacturer's rebate should be no problem.

------------------
    "If a nuclear bomb dropped on earth, two things would
    survive: roaches and David Falk." -- Kevin McHale quote courtesy of Patricia Bender's website.

2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

DoD or anyone else,

What is your opinion on the Cendyne? I was thinking about getting me a Plextor. I might pick this up if its a good brand.

------------------
    If Bill Gates had a dime for every time Windows crashed...
    Oh, Wait!! He Does!

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

The NetGear router is ok, but it is not for anyone who wishes to have more then 4 PC's connected, in other words it is not expandable.

The LinkSys is a better option.

DaDakota

------------------
    If you like RTS games, check out this one.

www.frontierwars.com

coming soon to a PC near you.

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The Cendyne drive is a rebadged Teac. As a matter of fact it may even say so on the bottom of the drive (or somewhere on it). It's a good drive from everything I've heard.

Also, I just read that they may have Teac 16x10x40 drives there, too for the same price. Either drive would be great, but most people prefer the Teac name.

They both apparently support the "Burn Proof"-type technology which is a must nowadays. Well, a luxury-kinda-must anyway. [​IMG]

If you don't get one today, be the first one in the door tomorrow as who knows how many they'll have on hand or how long they'll last.

------------------
    "If a nuclear bomb dropped on earth, two things would
    survive: roaches and David Falk." -- Kevin McHale quote courtesy of Patricia Bender's website.

[This message has been edited by Dr of Dunk (edited May 26, 2001).]

5. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

I use the LinkSys also. Less expensive and works great.

------------------
    Cohen

6. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Less expensive than what? Usually the Netgear can easily be had for under $100. The Linksys regularly costs about $20-$30 more (online) without rebates. I'd rather have the Linksys, too, though... and that's why I own one. [​IMG]

------------------
    "Light travels faster than sound, so some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak." -- Brian Williams (now Bison Dele) commenting on Isiah Thomas.

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

**** UPDATE ****,

I'm reading now that Best Buy may be trying to match CompUSA's price but with no rebates. Some, if not all, Best Buys are apparently selling the NetGear for $50 right off the shelf. Even better deal if you can find one.

Happy hunting. [​IMG]

------------------
    "Light travels faster than sound, so some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak." -- Brian Williams (now Bison Dele) commenting on Isiah Thomas.