1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CD on 610am. Mike make less $$ but still choose Min.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Verbatim, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Verbatim

Verbatim Member

According to CD, the $$ is the same so the State Tax in Min will cost MJ more $$$.

He jacked with CD. Asked for a trader rider the last second. When CD say that the team have never done that and asked the agent to tell MJ and call back, the agent called back in 15min and said MJ going to Min. Done.

I think MJ was playing the team and got his revenge. If this team doesn't give it to the dream or Yao or Tracy, MJ doesn't get one period.

But in his defense, he wanted security and he got it... in Min.

2. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

source? CD?

3. Verbatim

Verbatim Member

The sourse is CD himself on 610am. He said it himself on the radio.

4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

CD was just on SR-610 and said that since MIN has a state tax (he guessed at around 8%) that the Rockets offer was more money.

I think the Rockets over estimate the importance of the tax differences when approaching FAs... doesn't seem to do much to sway where the players go...

5. prv1981

prv1981 Contributing Member

Thats cool....

He got what he wanted. At least the Rox have the hardest part down,two bonafide superstars.

He wanted to stick it to the Rockets, oh well. He wanted to get paid, good for him.

Things will work out for both parties, Rox do not need a player that dont want the Rox.....

6. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

Sounds like Mike just wants to know who loves him the most. Whoever gives him everything he demands (TK, etc) first gets his service. He just wanted it all to end at the end fo the day.

Besides, Garnett's phone call has to stroke his ego big time... KG is desperate.. Yao and Tracy, not so much. Rockets will move on without Mike, KG will likely shoot himself in the home lockerroom by January if they struggle again.

7. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I dont blame MJ for looking for security. Tradekicker was essential especially after what the Rockets did.

Word is getting around pretty fast in the NBA about JVG/CD being backstabbers.

#7 Zboy, Jul 12, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2006
  8. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Did anyone record the interview? I would like to hear it

9. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Mike James was clear and consistent. He wanted the security of the money, yes. But he also wanted the committment from a team to view him as a part of the core of what they were building. All he was asking for was a committment from a team to build with him and not use him as a piece of scaffolding or a prop that they just throw away when they get their team built. He was clear and consistent.

10. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Backstabber? So no team has ever traded a player? If Sura hadn't gone down James would probably still be here, or at least until he decided on who he would sign with, the team had a need, a real PG, and they addressed it. If that same same had a chance to get back the player they traded they'd pursue, most teams would do the same.

To be honest I don't think James had any intention of coming back, all the talk and then trade kicker BS was just his petty way of getting back at the team for his bruised ego

11. slowmustang

slowmustang Member

It's just funny/strange how nobody else asks for it. His ego definitely got stroked this offseason. You could tell from his comments. I'm definitely not blaming him though, it's his choice. The trade kicker works both ways, theres no way he can get out of MIN if he hates it too.

12. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Cant blame him for wanting that after what the Rockets did. Happy for James.

Rockets got what they deserved. Now they can go back to their winning ways with Rafer Alston and Juwan Howard. *laugh*

13. Verbatim

Verbatim Member

Rockets as a team reserves the right to trade anyone if the right deal comes along. Only 2 players currently is not in "no trade" list. And you know who they are.

Even if MJ signs with the Rockets, if there was a good trade for the team he would be traded again...in a NY second. That is the nature of this business.

Min gave him the "love" and KG strokes his ego. He is going to play at a place that will give him control and he feels needed. Good for him.

As for the state tax not really a problem. Let's see. 8% of 24 million is 1.92 million. Gee, I sure would like to have that useless change to though to the fine state of Min.

MJ is getting less but he is happy. And we move on.

BTW, sounds like the Greek guy, VSpan is the main target now. That's according to CD also.

14. cbb139

cbb139 Member

I think we all can see that in the end, James went for the money, and not the team. I dont care what team he chooses to play for, but dont talk about family, and winning a championship if you're going to decide based on $. Hell, he is NEVER going to win in Minny. Good luck.

15. Slick Rick

Slick Rick Member

I also heard CD on 610. We offered 3 years with a PO for the 4th year. The only differences was the trade kicker and 8% State Income Tax in Minnesota. Mike's team asked for the trade kicker at the last minute. I say F$%&&%%$ MIKE JAMES!!!

CD also said the Spanulis is on the radar screen (smoke screen??). Their biggest need is the backcourt. He feels confident in the Front Court of Yao, Battier, Howard, Novak and Hayes.

16. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

"Word is getting aroud pretty fast in the NBA about JVG/CD being backstabbers"

Where did you get this information?

17. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Contributing Member

Word is? Who Mike James ... wow thats a big sample to make such a ridiculous conclusion.

Poor MJ he got traded. Cry me a river. :rolleyes:

18. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

MJ said that MIN gave him a Player Option and trade kicker for the 4th year, but <a href="http://bbs.clutchfans.com/showthread.php?t=115198">on the KFAN Radio interview, he said HOU and DAL didn't. </a>

I think from listening to that radio interview, MJ just wanted to be appreciated and respected. Minnesota gave him that, CD didn't. I think James felt he showed his love for Houston, and his desire to live and play in Houston, even after he was traded, and he wanted a little love. JVG might have shown up at his house, but when it came to giving him what he wanted, only Minnesota gave him that.

Considering we really needed James, it would have been worth it to give him the 4th year option AND trade kicker. James deserved that after we traded him like we did.

I believe CD blew it ... again.

#18 Sherlock, Jul 12, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2006
  19. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

They are no different than most teams.

Dallas cut Finley, declined to bring back Nash, now traded M.Daniels after he was supposed to be a part of the future. Minny shipped Cassell out after he contributed. Memphis traded Battier after years of loyal service. PHX will deal anybody to stay under the luxury tax.

Same thing with players, Peja left Indy for more money, Mike James opted out his contract for more money, Lebron signed for 3 instead of 5 years becaue he can get more money..

Everybody looks out for their own best interst, you can't blame any of them for being "backstabbers".

20. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Contributing Member

CD said he matched Minnesota's option for the 4th year. He said no the the trade kicker only.