1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CbsSports] Andrew Bynum suffers et back, might sit the rest of the season

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by devin23, Mar 2, 2013.

1. devin23

devin23 Member

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/e...fers-setback-might-sit-the-rest-of-the-season

No, this isn' t a recycled post. It's just the reality of life with Andrew Bynum.

Bynum suffered another setback with his problematic knees after practicing in a five-on-zero drill last week. He experienced discomfort and swelling in his right knee and, because of it, he hinted to reporters that he might just sit out the remainder of the season.

"It's getting late. I don't know [about playing this season]," Bynum told reporters. "I don't want to play in pain. ... I'm 25; it's my life."

The 76ers acquired Bynum in the four-team Dwight Howard blockbuster before the season that sent Andre Iguodala to Denver and rookies Moe Harkless and Nikola Vucevic to Orlando. Obviously a major commitment from the Sixers in Bynum, and something they saw as potentially elevating them to contender status.

Instead, the 76ers have slipped, losing seven straight games, falling to 22-34 and six games out of eighth in the East. From dark-horse contender to a team likely to miss the postseason.

Frustrations have boiled over, too. Coach Doug Collins laid into his team recently because of their failures. Some of that surely has to do with that big piece that's just sitting there on the bench in a funny hairdo and not contributing.

"I know it's tough on him; he wants to play," Collins told reporters on Thursday. "We traded for him to come in here and play, and he hasn't been able to and that's hard. Hard on him and hard on everyone, and so I feel badly."

Bynum's health has consistently been a question mark on his career. Though last season with the Lakers, he appeared in 72 of 78 games, including the postseason. He then had a procedure in Germany to try to strengthen his knees, but a bone bruise was discovered in his right knee in September. Then a similar bone bruise in his left knee, after an evening of bowling.

Bynum has a lot of career in front of him. Injuries have been a major problem so far, and it's a significant concern. And while the 76ers would certainly love to have him back, it's getting to the point that it might not be worth it.

There's a catch, though: Bynum will be an unrestricted free agent this summer. And while that means the 76ers aren't protecting an investment, it also means Bynum needs to prove he's still worth big money. Is anyone really willing to pay good money to him when he's coming off a season that he just sat out with knee trouble?

The 76ers don't have a reason to push Bynum because they're likely out of it. But they also probably want to have an idea if he's worth pursuing in free agency. Likewise, Bynum needs to prove something. But the prospects of a return are looking dim, making this situation an incredibly disappointing one for all parties involved.

Think about this: There's this very real possibility that Bynum might never play a game as a 76er. Think about that one.

2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Greg Oden, re-loaded. With a bonus: less humility, more temper, and a former LA Laker!

Where can the Rockets sign up to get this guy?

:eek:

3. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member