1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CBS Urged to Pull Tebow Anti-Abortion Superbowl Ad

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Jan 25, 2010.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Don't have too much opinion on this myself. I don't agree with the Tebow's position but think its CBS' call to air it. Am curious what the rest of y'all think about it.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Womens-groups-urge-CBS-to-drop-Tebow-Super-Bowl-ad-012510

Women's groups urge CBS to drop Tebow Super Bowl ad

NEW YORK (AP)
    A national coalition of women's groups called on CBS on Monday to scrap its plan to broadcast an ad during the Super Bowl featuring college football star Tim Tebow and his mother, which critics say is likely to convey an anti-abortion message.
    "An ad that uses sports to divide rather than to unite has no place in the biggest national sports event of the year -- an event designed to bring Americans together," said Jemhu Greene, president of the New York-based Women's Media Center.

The center was coordinating the protest with backing from the National Organization for Women, the Feminist Majority and other groups.

CBS said it has approved the script for the 30-second ad and has given no indication that the protest would have an impact. A network spokesman, Dana McClintock, said CBS would ensure that any issue-oriented ad was "appropriate for air."

The ad -- paid for by the conservative Christian group Focus on the Family -- is expected to recount the story of Pam Tebow's pregnancy in 1987 with a theme of "Celebrate Family, Celebrate Life." After getting sick during a mission trip to the Philippines, she ignored a recommendation by doctors to abort her fifth child and gave birth to Tim, who went on to win the 2007 Heisman Trophy while helping his Florida team to two BCS championships.

The controversy over the ad was raised Sunday when Tebow met with reporters in Mobile, Ala., before beginning preparations for next weekend's Senior Bowl.

"I know some people won't agree with it, but I think they can at least respect that I stand up for what I believe," Tebow said. "I've always been very convicted of it (his views on abortion) because that's the reason I'm here, because my mom was a very courageous woman. So any way that I could help, I would do it."
    Thirty-second commercials during the Super Bowl are selling for $2.5 million to $2.8 million. Gary Schneeberger, a spokesman for Focus on the Family, said funds for the Tebow ad were donated by a few "very generous friends" and did not come from the group's general fund.

Schneeberger said he and his colleagues "were a little surprised" at the furor over the ad.

"There's nothing political and controversial about it," he said. "When the day arrives, and you sit down to watch the game on TV, those who oppose it will be quite surprised at what the ad is all about."

The protest letter from the Women's Media Center suggested that CBS should have turned down the ad in part because it was conceived by Focus on the Family.

"By offering one of the most coveted advertising spots of the year to an anti-equality, anti-choice, homophobic organization, CBS is aligning itself with a political stance that will damage its reputation, alienate viewers, and discourage consumers from supporting its shows and advertisers," the letter said.

However, Schneeberger said CBS officials carefully examined Focus on the Family's track record and found no basis for rejecting the ad.

"We understand that some people don't think very highly of what we do," Schneeberger said. "We're not trying to sell you a soft drink -- we're not selling anything. We're trying to celebrate families."

The idea for the ad came from an employee in Focus on the Family's film department, Schneeberger said, and the Tebows "were thrilled" when it was proposed to them. The Tebows, including Tim, have been outspoken in discussing their Christian faith and their missionary work.

All the national networks, including CBS, have policies that rule out the broadcast of certain types of contentious advocacy ads. In 2004, CBS cited such a policy in rejecting an ad by the liberal-leaning United Church of Christ highlighting the UCC's welcoming stance toward gays and others who might feel shunned by more conservative churches.

CBS was criticized for rejecting that ad -- and perhaps might have worried about comparable criticism from conservatives if it had rejected an ad featuring such a charismatic and well-known figure as Tebow.

CBS noted that it had run some advocacy ads in recent months, including spots taking conflicting sides in the debate of a national health care overhaul.

Terry O'Neill, the president of the National Organization for Women, said she had respect for the private choices made by women such as Pam Tebow but condemned the planned ad as "extraordinarily offensive and demeaning."

"That's not being respectful of other people's lives," O'Neill said. "It is offensive to hold one way out as being a superior way over everybody else's."

A national columnist for CBSSports.com, Gregg Doyel, also objected to the CBS decision to show the ad, specifically because it would air on Super Sunday.

"If you're a sports fan, and I am, that's the holiest day of the year," he wrote. "It's not a day to discuss abortion. For it, against it, I don't care what you are. On Super Sunday, I don't care what I am. Feb. 7 is simply not the day to have that discussion."

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

People in this country need to grow some damn thicker skin.

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's up to CBS on whether they want to put a controversial ad up during the superbowl.

Remember the milk is evil commercial with the three breasted women? That was sick - thank goodness they pulled that one.

All in all, there's nothing inherently wrong with the Tebow ad....so long as he's not saying people who have abortion will go to hell...people should just grow thicker skin.

4. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

This.

5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

What's wrong with expressing your views freely?

6. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Agreed - but they've pulled far less offensive ads before.

7. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

If it is an apparent anti-liberal ad, then of course there is something wrong with it!

1 person likes this.
  8. rhadamanthus

I dunno. Sometimes people feel like expressing your views is worthy of spending the rest of your life fearing murder.

1 person likes this.
  9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

seems like cbs didn't like moveon.org or peta ads, i'm not sure why they would let this one air.

10. Steve_Francis_rules

But how can you know that it's offensive if you have no idea what's in it?

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Have you seen it? What is offensive about it?

12. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

Agreed. Seems to me that it's not so much an issue of being offensive per se, as it is being controversial. Personally, I would like to see more major networks taking a neutral stance on ALL of these issues since, it would seem, their goal is to appeal to ALL audiences. There are venues for bringing up this type of issue: the SuperBowl is not one of them.

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

It is impossible for every ad to appeal to every viewer. One of the goals of advertising is to reach people who aren't familiar or aware of the message. Should alcoholics be subjected to beer ads? Should folks be subjected to ads for condoms or KY jelly? What about Victoria's Secret ads...how do those appeal to ALL audiences?

14. rhadamanthus

Sorry - as BetterThanI alluded to, the appropriate term is controversial.

15. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

There should be no screening process beyond what is required by law. As long as the people pay their money, they should be able to put their ad on the air, be they NOW, FotF, the KKK, the NAACP, or Joe's Crabshack.

1 person likes this.
  16. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm in agreement with this. Furthermore the groups protesting should be ashamed. It's one thing to disagree with the message, but there is no need to try and keep it from getting out.

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

That's pretty much how it goes, but then you have the discretion of the network airing the ad.

In the end, it should and will be up to the network.

They decide who they want to do business with and what they want being put on their airwaves.

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

That's interesting - I found a gentleman who strongly disagrees with you, with respect to a moveon.org add during the 2004 Super Bowl:

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=71914&highlight=moveon

Can you explain the reason for this change of heart? :confused:

2 people like this.
  19. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Hereon referred to as the limbaughdermis.

20. rhadamanthus

Damn, Sam. ^^^^^^^ He shoots, he scores!!!