1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CBS Sports] Morey's contract is also up, status described as "questionable"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Apr 6, 2011.

1. yuisakata

yuisakata Member

Cuz he laughs funny?

2. TheFreak

TheFreak Member

I think Pop and maybe D'antoni make twice that, and Phil makes twice what Pop makes.

Anyway, we're talking about the guy who tried to fire Calvin Murphy when he took over, and fired Turbo (and would probably send Yao onto the court in a wheel chair if he could get away with it). I don't think those guys made near what Rick will be asking next year.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

I don't think Turbo and Calvin were fired to save money-- nor were Rudy T and JVG (in each instance, Les replaced the hold coach with a pretty expensive option). If Adelman gets fired, I don' think it's about the money, either. I don't agree with all of Alexander's decision, but he's not a Donald Sterling-type cheapskate.

Feigan says Ricks makes $4 mil to $5 mil. Not chump change, but then again, they spent more than that buying the draft rights to Sergio Llull and Jermaine Taylor. If Adelman gets replaced, it's probably going to be more about "creative differences" than about the cash.

4. TheFreak

TheFreak Member

JVG and Rick were taking over playoff and contending teams. That won't be the case next year as it stands now. Less would have to pay top dollar for a coach for an average team. Maybe he's willing to do it but I could see him not wanting to. Why were Calvin and Turbo fired then?

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

Wasn't there some incest accusations from Calvin daughter?

http://www.click2houston.com/news/3979374/detail.html

As for Turbo: I believe Alexander wanted a more cuddly, "family friendly" mascot. Thus, Clutch the Bear. And I don't think they are paying Clutch less than they did Turbo.

As far as not wanting to pay high $ when your team isn't top notch-- The team that JVG got paid to take over won 43 games the year before and 45 games in JVG's first year. I don't think these were "contending" teams any more than the current team is.

6. TheFreak

TheFreak Member

I meant that the team JVG took over was a playoff team and the team Rick took over was supposed to be a contender. Oh well, I guess we'll see what happens. I'm just looking for an explanation other than the owner is an idiot.

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

My guess is that the owner has been on the analytics path the last few years with Morey running basketball operations, and may now think that he might as well go all-in with it and see what it takes him. It might be the wrong thing to do and they may fail miserably, but if it's worth trying, it's worth going balls-to-the-wall in that attempt.

This is why I've been thinking the person replacing Adelman might be, like Morey, someone whose hire surprise everyone in the basketball world because his (or her?) resume doesn't have the traditional NBA headcoach items.