1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CBS Sports] Morey's contract is also up, status described as "questionable"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Beavis

Beavis Member

basically if morey leaves he will be admitting failure. why would you come here then bolt when the team misses playoffs? job isnt done. he wants to be loyal to yao, but if he leaves for money then he isnt loyal to houston.. good riddance.

2. CXbby

CXbby Member

That is interesting to hear.

I've been on the fence about Adelman. His biggest fault if there is one is he can let stubbornness or loyalty get in the way of more levelheaded decision making. Then again, many coaches his caliber are like that and can afford to be like that due to their success.

The biggest red flag for me on this was in an interview late last year when someone ask him if Lowry could ever be the starting PG of the team. He kind of scoffed at that suggestion and just stated that Lowry was the backup PG. While I did not agree with that at the time, I wanted to see how it played out since who am I to say. Since then it was an injury that had to force his hand, and then Morey had to be the one to pull the trigger to finally settle it. Even immediately after the trade Adelman was visibly "disappointed".

That whole episode was a bit of a red flag for me because as we all know Adelman has been credited with the Brooks "pick" when he was drafted. Was there some unfair bias or loyalty or stubbornness there when it came to who would be the primary PG of the team? Did Lowry really get a fair crack at it? Obviously there was some dissension in the front office since the guy they ended up keeping was not the one Adelman decided was his starter.

Anyways I'm probably just babbling off since the biggest reason why we won't bring him back might just be his age, not being on the same timeline as a rebuilding young team, with nothing to do with his actual coaching ability.

Thoughts, Clutch?

#62 CXbby, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I'm with CXbby on this too

The AB situation troubled me because Rick kept hurting the team way too many times with stupid late game lineups.

4. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Member

Free TWill!

5. CXbby

CXbby Member

Also, I think Adelman, looking at the total package, is a very very very good coach. But at the same time, to say what shambles this team would be without him is first untrue, and second incredibly disrespectful to the players on the team. People can't call this a "player's league" and then prance around telling me this is a 25 win team without Adelman.

1. There are plenty of other very good coaches out there.

2. There are plenty of other coaches that have a chance of becoming very good out there, given the opportunity.

3. Even the difference between a good and bad coach is only a handful of games. Not freakin' 20.

Since 1. is not very likely as most of those coaches are either tied up or have a bad relationship with Les, 2. might be our best bet. While a young up and comer might not be able to get as much out of the team as Adelman could, with 3. in mind, hopefully it won't be that big of a dip with room for growth and improvement.

6. CCorn

CCorn Member

You'll never get green with that attitude

7. CXbby

CXbby Member

Believe me, I have ragged on AB this year as much as the next guy, and still firmly believe he is THE biggest reason we are out of the playoffs(not that he did that on purpose). But to be honest I can see Adelman's justification for his rotations this year. He had the bigger picture in mind, and even if it cost him a few games he wanted to give Brooks the confidence to play himself back into shape, mentally and physically. Which in theory would have made us a better team in the end. As it turns out, it cost us more than a few games, with none of the reward. While it did not pan out I can't really fault his thinking process.

The far bigger offense IMO is, without an injury to Brooks, never giving Lowry a shot. I mean, he was firmly planted in the AB camp, which now in hindsight does not really reflect that well on his talent evaluation. Or should I say, who helps the team win evaluation. Kind of a big deal for the head coach in charge of who plays and who doesn't.

Again, I don't know if this is why he will likely be gone, or just the age thing. I would like to hear Clucth's take on it.

Also sorry for kind of derailing this thread. But as already confirmed, the OP on Morey is a non-issue. The much bigger story here is Clutch more or less confirming Adelman being canned.

8. javajoe

javajoe Member

I agree fully. I've not seen prior evidence of poor leadership/business skills; let's hope it doesn't start now. RA is a great coach. I hope he retires on his terms, after a run at the championship.

9. leebigez

leebigez Member

Cx- Adelman has his faults and I will be the first to say so, but if adelman switched places with gsw,indy,ny or some of those other teams, they would have the record the rockets have. Adelman is that good of a coach.

The difference between those teams and their records vs the rockets is adelman. There are some good coaching candidates availible,but without a talent upgrade, none will win as many games as adelman.

10. Mattj

Mattj Member

1 person likes this.
  11. worzel gummidge

The rumors the last few years has been Les looking to replace Adelman not Morey/Rockets FO.

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

I doubt this is true. For one thing, GSW, Indy and of course NY don't have the players Houston has. For one thing, Adelman's system requires players who have high b-ball IQ and an understanding of the game, isn't this why T-will and Gerald Wallace got nailed to the pine? Adelman considered them too dumb to get his system. Well guess what, teams like NY or GSW have chuckers as their main guys like Ellis and Melo.

Secondly, our record pre trade and our record post trade showed how much of an effect horrible substitution has on the same team. When Adelman can't play his favorites extended minutes, then we become a playoff team. The team HAD the talent to make the playoffs. Adelman just didn't use his resources wisely.

13. emjohn

emjohn Member

I've been saying this a bit, and it's not something that I really want or the BBS wants.....

I am pretty sure Les Alexander is eyeing Larry Brown and would put Morey's fate in his hands.

Les courted him hard post-Rudy, they are casual friends, and he made his desire to coach again clear the same day he left the Bobcats.

Brown is notorious for wanting GM power or a puppet GM and an owner with resources. In his best stops, it's been a workable back and forth between him and a front office willing to draw the line. In NY, it was a disaster because Isiah was doing his own thing. In Charlotte, he left because Jordan tightened the purse and made cost-cutting moves.

I think this is behind Les's major non-committals and the clear tension between all 3 heads. I don't think this will go well, because Brown needs checks and balances...and Les is likely to give him nothing but blank checks.

I could be wrong...but we'll see. This could shake down extremely soon if I am right.

14. eman

eman Member

"Why is he still playing Aaron?" and "why doesn't he call timeout already?" were questions my casual-observer wife asked an awful lot this year-- enough so that I'm ok with letting Adelman go. I'd like to see us go to something new, and unconventional, like Brad Stephens or Shaka Smart or player-coach Battier.

In Morey I still trust.

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Les would be out of his mind to let Morey go. This would be like amputating your head so you can say you lost weight. Morey is the Houston Assets! :(

1 person likes this.
  16. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Member

Morey isn't going anywhere. As MattJ just posted, Morey just got a 2 year extension.

17. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Member

Agreed. If he was going to be back, Les would have talked about giving him an extension like he did a couple years ago. We need someone to develop the younger guys which isn't one of Rick's best coaching traits. He is better at taking veterans close to contention and bringing them to title potential.

You can argue he "developed" the Blazers, but that team was just loaded in talent that was able to play well when the Lakers dynasty was on a downward swing and the Hakeem led Rockets and Barkley Suns were a few years away from being the top team in the West. Also, having arguably the 2nd best SG in league in early 90's helped.

18. jopatmc

jopatmc Member

Larry Brown is a great coach. Larry Brown can teach the game of basketball. Larry Brown is a great defensive coach.

I don't want Larry Brown.

He's going to keel over dead on the court. He's gonna come in and tell Morey to trade away over half the team. He's not going to play who Morey trades for. He's not going to play some of the good players we have now. He will throw a bunch of no-offense, limited talent players out there to play nails on defense and then have one guy to shoot the ball all the time.

I don't want Larry Brown.

19. durvasa

durvasa Member

Thanks. Updated the original post with a link to that article.

20. emjohn

emjohn Member

FANTASTIC news.

I can live with Adelman walking (he's good, but is he really going to take us somewhere? Have we seen any signs of that? He doesn't hurt the team, he gets plenty out of them....but are we ultimately gunning for 50 win seasons or becoming a contender?)...but I was going to start cutting myself if Morey was Gary Hunsicker'ed.