1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CBS Sports] Howard no lock for Lakers; interested in Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., May 19, 2013.

1. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

That sentence just shattered my heart and all the hopes I had.

[​IMG]

2. jim1961

jim1961 Member

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/e...ving-meeting-with-dwight-howard-about-dantoni

Kupchak said he didn't want any D'Antoni talk from Dwight anyway given Mitch's insistence that Lakers won't have any player dictate the coaching situation.

Maybe not.

3. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

I don't feel as good about this now...

Seems like we are being used by DH..sucks.

1 person likes this.
  4. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Dwight really is the Coachslayer.

5. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I really don't see Dwight blinking, then.

I mean, the Lakers were supposedly on the verge of bringing Phil back in November... then did a complete 180 and hired his exact opposite, even after many on the team assumed that the deal was done. Given that and all the other experiences Dwight has been through in the past 18 months... I just can't see him signing away his next five years over an unenforceable promise. If the Lakers are that stubborn and proud, and I think they are, then he's headed to Houston.

6. htown1984

htown1984 Member

dont worry it'll change in 5 minutes... (noone knows what will happen)
    One story says Houston is the top choice, another story if Coach is fired than Lakers is the choice..

Im just happy that the Rockets are in the Mix... At the end of the day
    the Rockets will be set for the future either way...not sure the lakers will...

1 person likes this.
  7. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

yah never underestimate the arrogance and pride of millionaires....

If I was the owner of Lakers...id be like look dude. Either sign with us, and well handle the coaching decisions or see ya. We will rebuild one year draft wiggins and sign lebron in 2014.

haha

#747 megastahr, May 22, 2013
    Last edited: May 22, 2013
  8. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

haha....dude best user name ever!

9. Fighton

Fighton Member

i know you're an insider but i have a hard time seeing this happen without jimmy feeling undermined by a player. i just don't get the sense the dwight is someone that jim is willing to lose face over.

10. cyberx

cyberx Member

Jim is getting a reality check and learning... He is learning that this ego he has needs to be checked at the door.

Not saying it will happen, just letting you know he is getting a reality check.

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

CyberX, do YOU think Jim Buss will cave in on PJ

12. cyberx

cyberx Member

Eh... This one is tough... Knowing Jim, he is a tough hard headed ass.

But at the end of the day he needs to really need to make amends with his sister and do things right for the Lakers organization. Phil is always going to be in his life, he is marrying his sister.

I think time will tell, I really have no yes or no answer.

13. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

He only has to wait a year though. Everyone is off the books in 2014.

14. Convictedstupid

But you think if the Lakers hire Phil back as a the head coach, Dwight is for sure coming back?

15. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Cyberx, thanks for all your info, really appreciate it.

Since your first info, how do you feel the situation has evolved?

You seem to be working for the Lakers, how confident are they that they will resign Dwight? And are they ready to do it at any expense? (fire MDA).

16. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

This is where you lose me. I don't see LeBron leaving the family atmosphere that he has in Miami with Wade and Riley to go to LA. It also wouldn't be smart basketball wise to compete with Durant every year to get to the Finals. Meet him in the Finals.

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

LOL, sounds like a soap opera! Thanks for the 2 cents!

Too bad Free agency isn't next week. Having all this TIME to allow the Buss' to work things out could hurt the Rockets here.

At first I felt that JB wouldn't give in. But now I feel like it is 50/50. It's going to be a long 7 weeks.

18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Just throwing out my opinion on this question...I do think DH goes back to the Lakers if PJ is coach. So this will be a key development to watch.

Stick to your guns Jim Buss! :p

19. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

But given the fact that Phil is ALWAYS going to be in his life.....isn't that enough reason to NOT give Phil free reign at his job? I understand that Jim is getting a a reality check, and that he probably is starting to understand that handling these players is not as cut and dry as his father (and Phil) made it seem. However, he is the one who is being asked to give up EVERYTHING in the name of the team, and that's not easy to swallow. I could definitely see him telling Dwight to hit the bricks, and take his dickwad agent with him if he starts feeling like he's being bullied.

It's just a difficult situation to assess, which makes the Rockets all the more desirable if I was Dwight. No drama, no bull****, no head games, no power plays. Just a team that is primed to win RIGHT NOW, and be a contender for years to come.

20. Convictedstupid

Now we get to ponder over the next month whether Jackson was actually telling the truth the past few weeks when he said numerous times "I won't ever coach again".

Yaaay..