1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CBS Sports] Howard no lock for Lakers; interested in Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., May 19, 2013.

1. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I thought it was Kevin Martin; that and the fact that he doesn't believe in Moreyball and treating players like assets.

2. danielcp0303

danielcp0303 Member

This article has a point that I hadn't thought of before, Howard might want a 4 year deal with the final and 4th year being a player option. Then he could decide to get another max deal at 30. I don't know if the Lakers could do a 5 year deal with the final two years as player options, if they can then the point is almost moot. Interesting stuff nonetheless

3. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

No mention of our rising superstar, Lin?! Must be an LOH.

Meh ok, another story saying we might get howard. What's new?

Howard-Asik front court? Not sure that could work, but with Morey anything could happen

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

CBS has a poll about where Howard will end up. Here are the current results:

Lakers - 35%

Rockets - 36%

Mavericks - 29%

5. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Lakers fans freaking out in the comments of that article, lol

6. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

i see dallas likes to read CBS articles, because thats waaaaay optomistic...

7. WAYFARER713

WAYFARER713 Member

We have to keep Asik...Let Howard be PF...I really dont feel Howard is worth the cash

8. danielcp0303

danielcp0303 Member

That is entirely possible. They could play together a bit, depending on the matchup.

9. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>If I had to guess, I think Dwight Howard's free agency comes down to the Houston Rockets and Los Angeles Lakers.</p>&mdash; Alex Kennedy (@AlexKennedyNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA/status/336271527911755776">May 20, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>That was completely intentional. RT @<a href="https://twitter.com/the_outro">the_outro</a> @<a href="https://twitter.com/alexkennedynba">alexkennedynba</a> is Houston mentioned before LA for a reason? Or was that just coincidence?</p>&mdash; Alex Kennedy (@AlexKennedyNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA/status/336272281615622144">May 20, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

10. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I seriously doubt the Rockets make a major cap-clearing move on draft night just for the CHANCE of acquiring Dwight in July. Morey and company have likely already done plenty of due diligence--and will likely do much more--to line up potential trades to execute in July IF Dwight agrees to sign in Houston. No need to waste assets (i.e., dumping Robinson for a second rounder) unless absolutely necessary.

Interesting trade idea. Bosh certainly would be a great complement to Dwight. I just don't see Miami doing that particular trade. The Heat would obviously have interest in Asik, but they'd have little use for Lin--a pick-and-roll PG who doesn't shoot a particularly high percentage--when Lebron is their primary ballhandler. It would probably have to be Asik and a couple of young PF prospects (i.e., Motiejunas, Jones, Smith, Robinson), with Miami taking back less salary to mitigate its luxury tax bill. Otherwise, I doubt the Heat would break up "The Big Three".

11. nejyh

nejyh Contributing Member

I really do like the idea of adding Henson with or without Ilyasova, especially for a package centered around 1 or 2 of our PF Youngsters.

12. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

LeBron wouldn't agree to that...Lol...

Bosh will be a free agent next year and Miami probably wants to make another run at the championship this coming season.

13. cardpire

cardpire Member

love how he reduces parsons to a "budding 3 pt shooting threat".

wonder if he's ever watched him play

1 person likes this.
  14. bgrice

bgrice Member

too many of these threads, why just not add to cyberx's

15. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Pat Riley 101, Role players are assets, stars are not.

The personal relationships of such players playing together for long periods can't be understated, something i imagine OKC will learn in a few years.

16. amak316

amak316 Member

man if we get Dwight we will have far and away the longest games in the NBA. Hardens entire game is predicated around forcing fouls, and Dwight gets hack-A-Howard relentlessly. Add to that Lins attacking nature and we are in for a whole lot of FTA's

1 person likes this.
  17. hlcc

hlcc Member

Neither Asik nor Howard have any kind of range in their game, those two playing together will be a complete and utter disaster.

18. atomicanderz

atomicanderz Member

Excuse me while I really just don't give a crap anymore.

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Why don't you (among others in this thread) think Dwight + Omer can work?

20. Big Daddy Kane

Get ready for Dwight and Josh. Here it comes per my post in Doc Rocket's thread. If there is a sign and trade with the Lakers, Asik (and maybe Lin) will be the major piece(s) since Asik and Howard are redundant and it gives Rockets flexibility to sign Josh outright without the risk or delay of having to make additional deals. They will get their big three of Harden, Smith, and Howard to go with two very productive, affordable contracts in Beverly and Parsons. Then resign Brooks, Garcia and/or Delfino, and an inexpensive veteran back up center and you have a pretty formidable roster. Probably the best defensive team in the league (especially when Harden sits :))

PG - Beverly, Brooks
    SG - Harden, Garcia/Delfino
    SF - Parsons, Garcia/Delfino
    PF - J. Smith, Jones/TRob/DMo (one will be traded)
    C - Howard, G. Smith, ?

Originally Posted by Big Daddy Kane View Post
    Rockets2K, I understand what you're saying but the Lakers would actually be doing us a favor by taking on the contracts of Asik and possibly Lin. It frees us up to offer Smith a near max or max deal without the uncertainty or risk of having to make additional trades. If we can form a big three of Harden, Smith, and Howard, do you really think we care if the Lakers get Asik and Lin? With the big expiring contracts of Nash, Gasol, and Bryant coming soon, the Lakers could easily take on Asik and Lin's salaries. And both would fit nicely in D'Antoni's system assuming that's the route the Lakers choose. It won't happen if they bring back Phil Jackson but if D'Antoni stays it makes a lot of sense. It also frees up our risk of both Asik and Lin becoming almost untradeable if either gets hurt, struggles or back tracks from this year performances.

Although we can sign Dwight outright without a sign and trade, we will be competing with the Lakers and Atlanta to earn his commitment. The first team that's able to clear enough cap space to also sign Josh, probably will have the edge. If the Lakers are convinced they cannot create the cap room to sign Josh or if they elect to rebuild with D'Antoni, their next step will be to try to arrange a sign and trade with the team(s) of Dwight (and Josh's) choosing. Most likely Houston or Atlanta. Atlanta would give up Horford in a second and I think the Rockets would give up Asik and probably Lin (even though they don't have to) just to show Dwight and Josh the clear cut path of playing together on a desirable team. Get ready, it's going to be a real tug of war between the teams unless/until Dwight (and Josh) make it known and demand where they want to go.