1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CBS Sports] Harden pushed for McHale's firing & angled for Howard trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Feb 25, 2016.

1. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

It's so sad that Rocket Organization even can't give this team a good coach....

Is that an impossible mission for them?

They still daydream that Rockets will win Championship with this scrub coach... LOL

2. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

with Josh back, we pretty much have the same supporting cast as lat year.. we went to the WCF with this group...

WHY now does (to use your term) "the rest of the roster sucks ass"

one or two guys have a dropoff.. hey it happens... but for such a widespread "sucking of the ass"? something is up, there is a reason...

3. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

They would never bring in a big name coach mid-season so JBB is a stop gap solution for this year.

4. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Harden is the cancer?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. dream2franchise

The Internet needs an NBA Media Watch website badly.

6. ibm

ibm Member

that's what i think, too.

the rockets perhaps was not truly conf.-final kinda good (some luck), but there's no way they should be playing this bad like this season, either.

if the goal is to improve the team, then, in a hindsight, firing mchale and succeed him with jbb sure has not achieved that goal. far from it.

and i want to argue trading away dwight isnt the cure, or at least not the first priority.

the problem starts with leadership and chemistry. technically it starts with team defense.

i'd repeat,,, i really cant see any possible way to contend for a title w/ harden as our #1, no matter how morey shuffles his cards.

7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Its very dense to look at it in those terms. Last year this team was very lucky. It was winning the 50/50 games, the game of loose balls. This year they are on the opposite side of those outcomes. Firing a coach a month into the season I'm sure doesnt do much for continuity, and then replacing him with an inept stopgap guy who the young players never responded to. My guess, not some dogma or agenda I'm pushing, but I do understand that people like scapegoats when things go bad it's convenient.

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Sounds like such bs.

Morey won't fire a coach and trade guys just because Harden said so.

Besides, we know it was Les

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

What? Are you kidding, Morey certainly WOULD cater to guys he is trying to keep happy so they stay in Houston.....

What we NEED is a good coach, that is in place for a couple of years that Harden respects.....because right now it is the inmates running the asylum.

DD

10. ibm

ibm Member

would thibs have already been here in houston, if harden respected him so much as asked morey to get him when mchale was let go?

11. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

We need to dump the idea that analytics will lead us to the promised land, lest we become the 76ers.

12. Mr. Clutch

Cater is one thing

Firing a coach and trading the second best player is another

The firing was a les call

13. PrawnJ

PrawnJ Member

Don't really know why that this forum has become a discussion about the coach..but my feeling is, the Rockets organization wants to give JBB a CHANCE to prove himself, considering he is someone that has stayed with the team, hence his loyalty is being rewarded.

However, I don't think he is very good job at the moment, and I don't see him lasting longer than this season. We should be getting a new coach next season

14. Mr. Clutch

Lest we become the warriors and spurs

15. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

You take away heart, a tenacious will to win, desire to play defense, and Harden is the exact same as Kobe. Nobody likes him.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

Not surprised. I believed this was the case from the beginning. Even if he didn't somehow get Mchale fired directly, he had a hand in it and definitely didn't care when it happened. That was evident after it actually happened

17. J Hard

J Hard Member

Who hasnt pushed for a mcfail firing?

Non story.

18. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Face it, whether fans liked him or not, whether he was great for the long term or not, and whether Harden or Howard liked him or not, firing McHale -when we did- without a better game plan moving forward was a bad idea. And that's not on JB. That's on Morey and Les.

The rest is just the fallout. Whether Harden pushed for his firing and for Howard's trade or not is irrelevant, timing was the more important factor anyway. We needed leadership, and displeased with the situation, we cut off our nose to spite our face.

If the front office did all of this (fire McHale at start of season, shop Howard) to make James happy, that's on them. If they did it to please whiny fans and sell tickets, that's on them. If they did it because they thought McHale with JB was worse than just JB, that's on them.

Neither of these things were done with proper thought to timing and how they would affect the team in the short term. We rid ourselves of a coach without a plan, and tried to shop DH when he basically couldn't be moved. Now, without a superior finish and a deep playoff run, the media has all they need to get their clicks by making us their whipping boy in worse fashion than usual, with scapegoats in place, rightly or wrongly... a James Harden who is painted as more petulant with each "misstep", and a Dwight Howard who draws "team chemistry problem" headlines wherever he goes.

Honestly, it's deserved, regardless what the impetus was or who thought it was a good plan, or more importantly, good timing.

1 person likes this.
  19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Just want to chime in that true or not, Ken Berger is generally full of bullsh** when it comes to Dwight (and therefore the Rockets). His Dwight-hate is second to none.

20. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

The Warriors and Spurs were not built with analytics -- they're solid systems not assets.
    Golden State drafted and developed Curry, Klay, and Green.
    San Antonio drafted and developed Duncan, Ginobili, and Parker. They developed Kawhi. And they recruited LMA on strength of their program alone.

Houston has drafted and developed Beverly, Capela, and Jones.
    Houston drafted, developed, and tried to trade D-Mo.
    Houston drafted Dekker and Harrell and put them to work in the D-League.
    We picked up Josh Smith whose departure improved the Clippers bench and worsened our bench.
    Our splash last season was multiple DUI winner Ty Lawson.

I am indifferent toward Terry and Brewer, and I like Ariza.

The only upside of Moreyball was we picked up 6th man of the year Harden for peanuts and signed an injured Dwight Howard after his rough LA vacation.

Analytics, even when considering last years dream run, has done **** for this team.

1 person likes this.