1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

CBS: Some execs believe Courtney Lee-for-OJ Mayo would make sense

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Feb 16, 2011.

1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Morey on 610 was talking about the disappointment in this season, how a young player hadn't stepped forward, hadn't taken that jump, like Aaron Brooks did last year.

Made me think that having 6 power forwards (hyperbole) and 7 shooting guards (hyperbole) doesn't lend itself to the sort of playing time that helps a player "take that jump".

As far as Lee for Mayo, why? Courtney Lee would "take that jump" if given the playing time. I'd rather trade Martin + Whomever for Granger + Whomever. Not that it's the superstar fix that Morey mentions, but it'd balance out the roster. Keep Lee. He's more dynamic, plays some D. Keep TWill and the point guards as backup 2's.

Maybe Morey knows these things, maybe an unspoken part of that "disappointment" is reflected in Clutch's post yesterday of "players with upside".

Trade Martin, you'll get a good haul, keep Lee, forget Mayo.

2 people like this.
  2. Petey-N-Htown

Petey-N-Htown Member

Lee for Mayo?....Yes please.

3. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Unless Lee for Mayo is in some manner tied to addressing a WC Finals-level C, it's a lateral move.

Then again, the current Rockets management is big on "collecting assets".

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Will be interesting to see if they trade for someone they really plan to build around and commit to...or if they just acquire another piece thinking about how they can ultimately flip it.

5. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

The whole "money ball" concept has been a failure. We need TALENT. Mayo has more tools than Lee, plus he's younger

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I like everything you just said. Martin gets you the biggest haul. Acquiring Mayo reeks of desperation.

7. JVL713

JVL713 Contributing Member

It's like reading my own thoughts. Very well said.

8. albuster

albuster Member

Incredible. In my previous post in this thread I sort of looked at the Rockets' needs similar to Morey's views. A good solid center and an all star/superstar. I am glad he is aware of the glaring needs of the team and the path to solve them.
    Trading here and there for some upgrade is not going to get the Rockets anywhere closer to the bottomline, and only goal, a championship. Nothing more, nothing less.

9. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Mayo is starting material, I dont think he would be very happy playing 15 minutes a night like Lee does.

10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

If I had written, "Trade Martin, keep Lee, hold the Mayo", I might have even got repped. :cool:

1 person likes this.
  11. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Not according to most posters in this thread.

We're nine pages in and so far I'm able to deduce a number of things including: 1) Mayo is flat-out better than Lee. This apparently requires no explanation, 2) He's a former top three overall pick therefore he has superstar talent, 3) Despite his obvious limitations, he's younger therefore his upside apparently gives him some sort edge in these discussions, 4) Even the pro-Mayo crowd agrees he probably wouldn't like coming off the bench (something Lee takes no issues with), and 5) Yeah, this is a total "no-brainer" trade.

I'm glad these guys are here to educate me.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Preach on Preacher !!!!

Playing time to make a leap forward - what a concept !

DD

13. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I repped you because you didn't use a Mayo pun. Actually I would have anyway because I agree 100% with your post.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

15. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

I would trade Lee for Mayo. Having several guys on the team that are potential All-stars is a reasonable way to get those two stars we've been talking about.

16. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

The only way I'm trading Lee for Mayo is if we have a trade in the works to get a legitimate big man as well. I just don't see how a straight-up swap without getting help inside makes us a better team.

17. thejav

thejav Member

How about a three team trade between the Memphis and Denver.. c.lee for mayo and nene for hill,jeffries and a pick...

Lowry
    Martin
    Mayo/Battier
    Scola
    Nene

Very nice line up

18. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Mayo isn't even close to being a SF...

19. eugeniu

eugeniu Member

How about trade martin for a center and trade c.lee + ... for mayo + thabeet

20. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

bro, mayo is a PG/SG or an undersized 2-guard. At 6'4" he will never play the 3.