1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CBS: Some execs believe Courtney Lee-for-OJ Mayo would make sense

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Feb 16, 2011.

1. CCorn

CCorn Member

True I can't find anyway to balance salaries. What other teams are desperate for a SG?

2. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

$2M dollars is not going to stop Les Alexander from improving this team, now or in the future. We're talking about the same owner who pays $2M just to take a gamble on a 2nd round draft choice; it's a no-brainer he would do it to acquire a talent like Mayo.

3. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Dallas and Utah

I doubt the Rockets would trade with either of those, though.

4. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

You say that now like you'll be completely surprised whenever we make a deal or two on Feb 24th to get below the LT. ;)

...and I can't stress enough this isn't a "no-brainer". Again, evaluating Mayo as a player goes well beyond regurgitating what Dick Vitale said four years ago. I would do this deal (financial implications aside) simply because Mayo and Lee are close enough as players with maybe a little more upside on Mayo's end along with the glaring issue that Thabeet potentially addresses, to make this deal and see what happens.

For the 10-11 season, though? It doesn't make us any better -- and at an added cost of an extra $2M I'll understand why the decision was made to go in a different direction.

5. CCorn

CCorn Member

You know what I think could be possibly is, if New York and Denver can't make a deal for Melo and New York just waits til free agency. We could definitely get a nice piece from them for Martin. Wilson Chandler is only 23 and playing very well, and expendable if they get melo. Martin for Chandler Curry. New York gets a dangerous 3 in Melo Stoud Kmart(well 3 that can't play D)and we get cap relief and a great young player next season.

6. CaptainRox

CaptainRox Member

I prefer Lee especially for his D and the fact he doesnt care of coming off the bench

7. eman

eman Contributing Member

Courtney Lee's contract needs to be put in the DO NOT TOUCH lock box.

8. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I want to see a move at the 5, 3, and/or 1...in that order. Making a move (only) at SG or PF is going to make little to no difference, unless we end up with a TOP guy at those positions.

Also, Lee offers some very nice balances to Martin's game, most obviously his defense. I don't know that adding a scoring-focused Mayo (who is already somewhat displeased to be coming off the bench) to play behind Martin is a smart play.

9. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

thabeet is a bust. please stop dragging him into any rox trade. i like ojmayo. he is definitely a starter on any team. he is now in a bad situation.

10. mgraye2969

mgraye2969 Member

This.

11. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

before we can get a top notch center, martin will not save rox. DM brought martin for yao only. yao is gone so martin can be traded any time if we can get some good return.

12. MemphisX

MemphisX Contributing Member

Sorry, Morey is not allowed to call his bud Chris Wallace for the next 8 days.

Kthxbye

13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Mayo has potential

I hope the Rockets go after him, it's what they need on this team.

If Mayo comes here and scores 20ppg his value goes through the roof. Lee isn't going to do that, he doesn't have that same potential Mayo does. A risk for the Rockets, but these are the type of risks you take when you have no where else to go.

This dude has major scoring potential IMO and always has, may be a moody player but so what I say.

14. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

That's what I'm talking about.

15. ApuN

ApuN Member

OJ mayo is a me first ball hog and will not accept a role in coming off the bench

Its not a coincidence that Memphis fortune changed when he became a sixth man because him and Conley could not coexist as starters in the back court.

It also isn't a coincidence that the guy has been nothing but a distraction since then

C. Lee was somebody Morey wanted on draft day. I highly doubt that he would trade for an overrated troubled player that probably has never been on his radar.

This guy was a #3 overall pick and the only reason why Memphis traded for him on draft day and now they want to ditch him

That has red flags all over it

Thabeet could be a different story, but You really have to be wary of a teams lottery picks that after a couple of years the team wants to get rid of

16. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Mayo.......................is a point guard.

Memphis..................is stupid.

Mayo......................should be playing point guard and Memphis should be trading Mike Conley, who is not very good.

17. worzel gummidge

Didn't the Grizzlies waste a couple of seasons to find out Mayo isn't a PG?

18. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I think he's a SG all the way. You don't have to turn every guard who can pass into a PG (Terrence Williams; also not a PG).

19. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

wow this thread spans the entire gamut of opinions about Lee vs. Mayo, and they are all pretty convincing

I don't know what to think other than I trust our organization's ability to evaluate talent.

20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

How is Thabeet a different story?

Morey wanted Ariza too but he didn't last here very long. Morey, the best thing about him is he doesn't fall in love with players. I'm sure Morey loved Landry like we all did but he thought the offer was too good to turn down.

As for Mayo being a ball hog that's because he's a scorer, you want that. Besides Scola ball hogs all the time, going one on 3 in the post because he's so confident in that scoop shot.