1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CBS] Rockets, Warriors open to Dwight Howard rental

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 8, 2012.

1. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I really hope something big happens, I know Morey works hard but after the botched trade I think it's about time that something goes right for this team.

2. Asian Sensation

Simple 5 step process.

Step 1) Trade for Josh Smith.
    Step 2) "Rent" Dwight Howard.
    Step 3) Make the Playoffs (will be very easy).
    Step 4) Make deep run in Playoffs (Make it to the WC Championship at least)
    Step 5) Dwight sees potential in Rockets and signs long term deal.

A core of Lowry, Smith, Howard and hopefully getting to keep Lee should be enough to get us get to the Western conference finals with a hard fought battle against the Thunder. I could see Lowry, Smith and Howard all being close and developing a great chemistry. Slowily add other pieces in the off season and develop young talent and we're contenders for the next 5 years.

3. ihatekobe

ihatekobe Member

How do we have enough assets to get Howard and Smith while keeping Lowry and courtney lee? What would it take to get both of them?

4. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

The entire roster except lowry and lee. we would have a starting 5 with a d league bench

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I don't hate the idea of building around those 3, but we would still lack someone who can score when it counts. As good as they are, those 3 are primarily defenders, not scorers, and definitely not shooters. Same goes for Lee. You'd need someone who can actually put the ball in the hold consistently from the perimeter.

6. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Trade. Trade them all including clutch the bear.

7. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

You guys just got royally dissed again guys. Morey is scrambling his fingers at he watches another soon-to-be meteoric rise in yet another "mega pursuit" thread.

8. Asian Sensation

To get Smith... Give the Hawks Scola + Hill + Twill or Morris

To get Howard... Give the Magic Dalembert + Martin + Dragic + Patterson + picks

Work with Lowry, Lee, Parsons, Josh Smith, Dwight and whatever scraps we're left with and or get back from either the Hawks and Magic. Once the main pieces are in place everything else will come easily.

9. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

You are delusional if you think the Hawks will give up the best non-All Star player in the league for Luis Scola.

10. Metropolis777

Metropolis777 Member

Question: Can a team trade for a player and then amnesty that player that they traded for later on?

Specifically, could we take on Hedo's contract and then amnesty him in the offseason to make room for D-Will in this dream scenario?

11. hitman1900

hitman1900 Member

Why would the Hawks or Orlando give us their stars for our trash? :rolleyes:

12. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Same old stuff. Dwight is looking for a specific situation, that is to play alongside a top notch PG that is his age, in a larger market that he can dominate and win championships in, with a quality owner that is willing to spend the bucks to bring in the other pieces around him and his superstar point guard.

I guarantee you he'd sign a long term deal with the Clippers if he was paired with Chris Paul. And you know they could get him with Blake and Jordan if they wanted to. Will they do it?

Since the Clippers probably ain't happening, he is not going to sign a long term deal with the Lakers without the Lakers being able to acquire a Paul/DWill type point guard. And they just can't do it with Kobe's contract. They can rent him in a hot sec if they give up both Bynum and Gasol. But they're still not going to be able to keep him unless they can pair him up with DWill or somehow they win it all this season while they are renting him and they sell him on the future there. Long, tough road for LA and I think they are sailing away from all of it. March 15 will tell the story.

Orlando (if Otis is smart) is not going to sit there with Dwight and let him walk during the offseason. If they cannot clear out contracts for expirings so they can make their own free agent run this offseason or they cannot substantially upgrade the talent level around Dwight, they would be wiser to deal him along with other boat anchor contracts for the most talent available and the situation that leaves them in the best place for a quick rebuild to competitive since Devos allegedly doesn't want to be a lottery team.

Orlando also really doesn't want to trade Dwight to NJ. They don't like Lopez (who is injured again), the draft picks will be mediocre at best, and there is nothing else there. And they don't want to have to watch Dwight beat them in the East.

Orlando would prefer not to deal Dwight to the EC because they don't want to deal with him winning rings over there and then coming to town multiple times a year. It's bad pub, very bad pub, especially after Shaq.

If they can't get Dwight to commit by next Thursday, then they should trade him West. And there is no other team willing to rent Dwight without a commitment from him, with as much significant assets to help Orlando with a quick rebuild and remaining competitive than the Houston Rockets.

13. senter

senter Member

14. Asian Sensation

I agree. I thought of that weakness as well. But if we can some how magically get those three pieces together ... It's so easy to add perimeter shooting/scorers later on in the off-season. Kinda like how the Heat first got the main guys in James, Wade, Bosh and then added Battier, Miller etc. or going back a few years the Celts got the big 3 first and then added players to shore up other weaker spots.

15. Asian Sensation

I don't think it's entirely impossible especially if Smith is demanding a trade. A deal centered around Scola+ Hill/Twill or PPat seems like FMV to me for a talented yet mercurial player demanding a trade.

16. alverwi

alverwi Contributing Member

No. You can't do that.

17. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

The only way you give up the picks and lull and dmo is if he's going to resign, if howard is willing to resign, id throw everything at orlando, including the power dancers and paulskftisk for lulz

18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

It wouldn't be fair market value if Scola was younger and on a friendlier contract. Factor in his age and contract, and it definitely isn't FMV.

19. GotGame15

GotGame15 Member

This.

20. Mashing

Mashing Member

I forgot, what did we give up to get the reigning scoring champ in McGrady? Would it take more than that in a deal like this (also, did McGrady have years remaining on his contract or was it because McGrady wanted to come here and was willing to sign an extension?). I didn't keep up with basketball as much back then.