1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CBS] (Mistake) Williams will be pass rushing force. NO VINCE TALK WANTED

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Brando2101, May 26, 2007.

1. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Really cool article about Mario.
    http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10195551/1
    I like that he is eating better. It sucks that he has to make another transition but your big rusher has to be coming from the blindside of the QB. Hopefully with a healed foot, Mario will be an unstoppable force.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I hope that Mario and the new kid Okoye can really turn up the pressure, a good D-line can make up for a lot of faults in the secondary.

DD

3. Chance

Chance Contributing Member

Um...I am speechless. Given the parameters set forth in the title of the thread I suppose I have no comments.

Every now and then writers throw stuff against the wall to see what sticks...go against the grain on the hopes of being proven right. Mario was not the correct pick. Even if he ends up being a hall of famer he was the wrong pick.

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Wrong! If he helps us get some Super Bowls it will be the right pick.

5. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

I am speechless too. This might be the dumbest thing I have read from a VY only fan. Did you even read the article? Sorry they didn't take your guy, but saying even if he has a Hall of Fame career it was still a mistake? What? Why can't you just freaking accept it and hope the kid does well? Why is all the venom directed right at Mario? Did he force the Texans to take him? Be pissed at managment, but if you are a Texans fan, freaking give the kid a chance and hope he succeeds..........right?

6. thelasik

thelasik Contributing Member

Wow there really is something wrong with you.

7. sm0d

sm0d Contributing Member

LOL. :rolleyes:

8. Astro101

Astro101 Member

If he ends up a HOFer for the Texans, I'll be extremely happy.

9. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Chance is right, we shoulda traded down and taken DBrick and Mangold, dammit.

Or, as a second option, taken the best QB in that draft.

But he plays for Denver now, dammit.

However, I hope Mario kicks ass this year.

10. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

IF he ends up being a hall of famer, then that's like saying that Hakeem was the wrong pick. Indeed, we could have had Jordan, but you never hear anyone boasting that Dream was the wrong pick.

11. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

Ya know Chance I love your work, so I won't say this is idiotic. I might be thinking it though. You're saying that if Mario makes it to the HOF (which means he probably had a Michael Strahan/Reggie White type of career) he will forever be the "wrong pick" because they passed on the hometown guy who might end up as little more than a cleancut, larger Michael Vick (incredible athlete, mediocre coverage reading skills and accuracy)? This seems like myopia taken to another level. IMHO opinion, I'd rather take Mario/Schaub than Young/whoever we might have gotten in the second round (assuming we still would have cut Carr and gotten nothing for him). Personally, I am very excited over having a young, potentially very good defensive front 7. A strong pass rush courtesy of Mario and Obi Wan Okoye will also help improve our secondary, since they won't have to chase wideouts for 5 or 6 seconds.

Sorry for violating the "No VY" talk rule.

12. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

BTW mateo, was there ever anything more than a rumor that the Jets would have traded both picks for #1 that year? As I recall, the Texans were shopping the pick to anyone with a top 10 pick but no one would jump at it because the draft was so deep. Mort saying, "The Jets are in talks with the Texans!" doesn't count as concrete proof that the Texans blew it.

13. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Man, the Blazers would have LOOOOVED with all their hearts to have seen Sam Bowie turn into a Hall of Famer to justify their selection...

The handling of the pick was the most incorrect part of it all. Bush, Young, and Leinart were the early favorites and draft darlings. But if indications prior to the draft was that Mario was the Texan's guy, all the experts and fans would have been settled in with thinking that the same exact Mario is the "way to go". Instead of being seen as a party crasher, due the Texans basically pulling Mario "out their ass" the last minute.

You can say the Packers made the "wrong" pick taking AJ Hawk #5 while Demeco Ryans is looking like potential Hall of Famer. Or, the Colts made the "wrong" pick when they picked Edgerrin James instead of Ricky Williams. As long as the pick can develop to be one of the best at its position, its all you can ask for really....

- - - - ​

Still, that's saying alot for Mario, that he could be a defensive player of the year candidate in 2 years. I'll accept near-Pro Bowler/solid all around performance (like Gary Walker a few years back). Instead of the suckitude of every other d-lineman the Texans have always had.

14. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

The local media (I live in NYC) said that INITIALLY (weeks before the draft) the Jets wanted to move up for Bush and had sent out some feelers, but in the end, I think Casserly went to the Jets GM with an offer and the Jets GM said something to the effect of "how much will you pay me to move up".

Despite what all the hometown folks in Houston think, DBrick was considered by many as a better pick than Vince and possibly equal to Bush.... and the Jets knew they would they get him at 4.

Its too early to judge the draft, anyone who claims they know whats up at this point is just a homer.

15. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Mario wasn't a last minute "out of the ass" pick. He was steadily climbing up the charts until draft day. So much so that he was going to go in the top 2 picks. IIRC most mocks the day of the draft (or at least before we came to an agreement with Mario) had us picking Bush and NO picking Mario and it was still a tossup as to which QB was going to be taken first. Mario was going top 2 regarless (maybe top 3 if we had drafted VY). It really wasn't THAT big of a shocker. And at the time, the national media really didn't give a sh*t that we passed on VY. It was all about Bush.

16. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

With a messed-up foot, Mario Williams destroyed D'Brickashaw. D'Brick is a decent player, but he and Mangold aren't worth a #1 overall pick.

17. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

Um...you're speechless? Mario becoming a hall of famer would still mean it's the wrong pick?

Hahhahahahahhahhahaaa....

18. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Has anyone seen this Okoye guy? Is this another "potential" pick or is he already pretty good?

It would be nice to just have one part of the team that was at the tops in the NFL. If we can kill, even if it is just from the right side, it would be such a big boost to this team. With Sub-par safeties, we'll get burned downfield in the QB has a lot of time in the pocket.

It doesn't seem like there is anything better than a sack to pump up a defense.

19. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

Well, he's a DT so his sack nuimbers aren't huge, although 8 is nothing to sneeze at. The main problem is that before his senior year he had a total of 2.5 sacks. So, there was some concern that he might be a "one year wonder". Personally, I think it was more of him getting a more mature body and filling out completely, as well as learning a more refined pass rush (it may look easy, but pass rushing on the inside is anything but). He has a reputation as someone who can collapse a pocket quickly, so I think he and Mario on the same side will do wonders for the D.

20. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This has to be the stupidest post I have ever seen...."If he becomes a hall of Famer he is not the right pick ?" WoW I thought we always want to draft Hall of Famers..... :D