1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CBS: Howard admits "Hack-A-Dwight" has mentally scarred him

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rudy, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Rudy

Rudy Member

Wonder what songs Dwight sings to himself?

2. dje243

dje243 Member

I think the whole thought process of "If I miss this free throw what will everyone say about me?" is the same thought process when Dwight gets the ball in the post. He knows that people think he's terrible in the post and terrible at the line, so he overthinks it and tightens up. Just look at the way the ball comes off his hand when he's clearly 'feeling it' and then when he's trying to force it to happen. It's like night and day.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Like this?

[​IMG]

4. torocan

torocan Member

Fine motor skill actions have to be built through motor skill repetition and non conscious thinking. It's no different than driving or shooting a ball on a pool table.

If you're taking a pool shot and you think about how you're going to draw back the cue, where you're going to hit the ball, and the mechanics of how you move your arm, you're going to miss.

If you do a ton of reps, then just look at the hole and imagine how and where the ball will move, then your body and sub-conscious will take care of the rest.

The problem for Dwight isn't focus, it's that he's focusing on the wrong things. Instead of focusing on the mechanics and the crowd and expectations, he just needs to imagine the arc of the ball and exactly where in the hoop it's going to land, do a dry run through of his arm motion a few times to get the speed/pace of the ball to match up his arm movement, then do the shot.

This is why you'll always see good pool players make several "practice" strokes before they actually hit the ball. It's also why you'll see many consistent FT shooters take their stance at the line, run through their arm mechanics and arm speed *without* the ball in their hand prior to attempting the shot.

Focus on the end result and action of the ball, not on *how* you get that end result and action, and assuming you've put in the time to build the appropriate muscle memory, you'll get better results.

5. nachbarFTW

nachbarFTW Member

He is just not mentally tough. I don't blame him, neither am I. It's just that only the toughest of players get a ring.

6. hamsession

hamsession Member

Shaq was right. He can't handle the pressure.

7. roxxy

roxxy Member

LOL That would be hilarious.

8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Then he is weak mentally. What a shame.

9. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Maybe Dwight should go see Dr. White at the clinic for his freethrow anxiety

10. coffeelover665

give him a psychologist. Problem solved

11. RedDragon01

RedDragon01 Member

I know you're half-joking, but I think this is what his practices are missing. I wonder if the front office would organize a Dwight Free Throw practice session open to the public on a regular basis to get him used to the anxiety.

12. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

The should get him to shoot free throws randomly throughout practice if they don't already. Pull him aside, shoot 2-3, then go back to whatever he was doing every few minutes.

13. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

So what he is really saying is that he needs a coach that can help him with his free throws. Phil Jackson.

14. RedDragon01

RedDragon01 Member

As I read your suggestion, I thought of Patrick Beverly's free throws last night. Because that's exactly what he does. One dribble, quick shot. 85% accuracy.

15. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Definitely. It's all mental.

16. Fighton

Fighton Member

is he trying to hit a golf ball or shoot a free throw? somebody get bob rotella on the payroll.

17. RedDragon01

RedDragon01 Member

I'm pretty sure he had one while in LA, and it didn't help. There's more to it than this.

18. mario_v

mario_v Member

His freethrow woes are definitely psychological but I think his muscles and size also play a role in his low FT %.

He has massive boulder shoulders and he tends to "flick" the ball instead having it roll off his fingers.

19. Rox23

Rox23 Member

It's called being human. Everyone's got something.

20. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

He needs to learn meditation. Once he learns how to clear his mind whenever he wants, he can do it on the free throw line. Also, he may need to try shooting more quickly, not rushing the shot itself, but the routine prior to it. That will help him from having too much time for his mind to wander off.

He needs to stop focusing on where the rim itself is. The rhythm he's looking for comes from the body. The rim isn't going anywhere or moving. It's there waiting for him. Personally, i focus on the build up to the shot and shoot when it feels right, only looking at the rim right before the shot.