1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(CBS) Deron Williams wants to join Amar'e in NY.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rockets934life, Feb 19, 2011.

1. k-money

k-money Member

the nba.. where miami-boston-lakers-knicks-nets happens.

2. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

I am starting to get sick of this now. Real sick.

3. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

I don't see how this is good for the NBA. It's a shame really. I am pretty sick of all this, and I really don't see how things can change.

It is upsetting knowing that the only way we will probably ever get another superstar is if we draft him and others will finally want to come here..

4. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

Agreed.....

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

At least we're not utah....i just realize they're going to be in deeper **** than houston, if Deron leaves. FAs don't want to go to Utah. I don't think they don't want to come here, but just don't like the current situation. Once we clean up things and get some cap space I think it'll be different.

6. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Who isn't honoring their contract? The super friends left as free agents. Melo is not forcing a trade, but he is being upfront that he will only sign in certain places. That will be his right as a free agent. If the Williams rumor is true then it will be his right to go where he liked in 2012. So unless you have a problem with free agents deciding where to play then I don't see the issue. Build a competitive team and convince them to stay. It's not like they chose to be drafted there anyway. And it's not like the team has to honor their commitment since they can ship you out, ala Landry and Ariza.*

7. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Agreed 100%.

8. rju1986

rju1986 Member

I think it depends on personnel.. But I'd go with Deron Williams.

9. Nook

Nook Member

Why did he leave? Because a player had more say within the organization than the coach that had been there for 25 years.

It is a philosophical decision the Jazz made, they were more worried about appeasing there best player than the coach.

I used to agree with the tact the Jazz are now taken, and still do when you have a mediocre front office or coach.... but this situation is different, Sloan set the tone and direction of the organization.

The NFL and NBA are different leagues, the NBA is more of a players league... but I believe when you have an elite coach/leader; they usually take priority over the whims of a player....

Sad thing is that Williams won't stick around in Utah anyway, so the position of the organization is irrelevant.... look at the Cavs and Nuggets and ask them how catering to their star players every wish worked out.

10. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

Has Utah ever traded a superstar?

11. Nook

Nook Member

Without a salary cap the Knicks would just spend $400,000,000 on Paul, Amare and Melo and call it an off season.... 75% of the league could not offer enough to keep their own stars from bigger market teams without a cap.

No, this is all a result of a flawed salary cap system.... my guess is the league goes to a system that is similar to the NFL in that there are draft pick ramifications for signing premiere players from another team

12. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Edited for clarity.

13. Nook

Nook Member

You can't keep players on teams they do not want to be on? Really... ask Mankins in New England about that...

The Cavs were not "cheap" and LeBron left. Orlando was not cheap and Shaq left... this isn't always about a team being cheap.

Cleveland went to the Finals and then last year had the best record in the NBA. Ditto for Shaq in Orlando..... same with Melo in Denver.

Shaq and Melo were surrounded by casts that won...

No, it is up to the owners to take control of their teams and the league and put a better product on the floor.... all of these "superfriend" teams are alienating whole fan bases and organizations... if I am a fan of the Nuggets, Jazz, Hornets or Cavs I am not exactly excited about the NBA. Alot of being a fan is seeing players grow and improve and become a "team".

14. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Cleveland was trying to be cheap, when they were asking Boozer to opt out and sign for less money. He opted out and left for Utah. LeBron would have had more help with Boozer as the 2nd option, instead of Jamison and Williams. Those guys could have slid to the 3rd/4th option.

15. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I agree .... Thing is we now live in a society where everyone wants instant gratification. Work for it ? Why bother ?

16. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Whats going on in todays NBA. Its like every star gets tired of playing against each other and just wants to join forces. In 5-10 years, all the stars in the NBA will either be playing for Miami, NY, Lakers or Boston...

Lebron definately started a stars joining forces trend. Its like the stars are tired of competition nowadays. If the situation gets too tough, they want to leave. No more loyalty.

17. Mashing

Mashing Member

This kind of crap just makes me sick. There appears to be NO competitive fire in superstar players anymore. Sad, just sad.

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

The NBA needs to put a stop to this all-star amalgamation trend.

All this behind the scenes collusion about joining the same teams and chasing titles is beyond sad and very bad for basketball.

19. SupeR2706

SupeR2706 Member

Is it me, or is this super stars joining forces thing getting really old fast?

20. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Yes, for sure.