1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[cbs]Dennis Rodman Believes Sobriety Hurt His Career

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tinman, May 24, 2012.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/05/24/dennis-rodman-believes-his-sobriety-hurt-his-career/

WSCR) When an athlete abstains from substance abuse, typically their career will flourish.

According to a report, however, that’s not the case for former NBA bad boy Dennis Rodman. The Hall of Fame center said he became “boring” when he got sober briefly eight years ago and that no team wanted anything to do with him.

“People wouldn’t even touch me,” an emotional Rodman said. “I was boring. I wasn’t the Dennis Rodman of old.”

The change didn’t last long as Rodman began to drink 19 months after testing out sobriety. Now, his agent, Darren Prince, said Rodman spends three to four nights a week out at various night clubs.

“He tells me, ‘Darren, I drink because I’m bored.’ And I tell him, ‘You’re bored because you drink.’ I keep telling him, ‘You can still be the bad boy, you just don’t need to do it out at night clubs until 2, 3 in the morning.

“I know if he got sober, he could get a coaching job. He could be a rebounding coach, possibly work in the front office. We’ve had many discussions with TNT and others, and they all say the same thing — he’s too risky, because they don’t know if he’s going to show up drunk or not show up at all.”
    Rodman also discussed the relationship he has with his 24-year-old daughter, who he has seen roughly five times in her life.
    “That sucks. That just sucks,” Rodman said. “I made a decision so I have to just stick with it and live with it. It’s not too late to change. I have to make that decision sooner or later. If not, I guess I have to take it to my grave.”

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I agree; I could see Rodman being a good asst coach. Most underrated BBall-IQ around.

If I were his agent, I'd ask Rudy to talk to him.

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I also think Artest should never have turned into anything that has to do with peace.

4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Wrong!!!:rolleyes: "Crazy assiness" hurt his career.

5. CCorn

CCorn Member

Rodman in drag > Shaq. Get r' done TNT

6. ApuN

ApuN Member

Rodman has never grown up.

He may have been a great player but he has always suffered from insecurity issues.

People like him cannot handle authority positions and I cant see him ever coaching anybody. Too irresponsible

7. onreego

onreego Member

Dennis Rodman played center? Chuck Hayes faints

8. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Stopped reading after this

9. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

You're a badass.

1 person likes this.
  10. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Kinda just clarifies what an unbalanced moron he was to begin with. I honestly don't understand how or why someone so talented, publicity-dependent and presumably horny got himself cut from a championship team in Hollywood. He really could have enjoyed himself bumping around every "fun" city in the country for at least 3 or 4 years at a time: LA, New York, Miami, Golden State.

11. heypartner

maybe he's just bored.

12. heypartner

Speaking of being bored:

I always wondered who got bored with whom first -- Rodman or Madonna

[​IMG]

13. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Madonna's stature and accomplishments make her a more genuinely appealing mate, back then she still had her looks and a more pliant media; so she had more options and a much higher view of herself. In Rodman's favor, though, I think Madonna's Detroit childhood and considerable poverty when she first started out in the music business probably made her a little more open-minded and laid back about people in general. I don't care if this starts sounding redundant but ever since the bizarro SI spread and bridal gown prank (I think he initially sent out press releases claiming to announce and engagement) Rodman came off to me as extremely one-dimensional.

14. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Lots of lol's in this thread. Good job guys.

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Geez what a dumb-ass. Most people get wiser with age, but he's going the opposite direction. This can't end well.

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

rodmans afro pubes in the picture above.. nice..

18. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Very misleading title by CBS and not at all what Dennis was saying. Here's the report including the interview where they took their quotes from. For all those who think he faked that HOF speech, see for yourself how emotional he gets when discussing the part about his daughter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6R717eC5y8&feature=player_embedded#!

The guy is trying to do everything he can to have fun, not deal with the real world but you cannot totally fault him for that. He had a troubled childhood and was very introvert. He probably didn't have a lot of fun in terms of going out, having sex and all that. When the money came, things started to change and he took advantage of it. He's like a big kid.

He knows he has to change, but he just doesn't know how and we all know what that's like. It's kind of sad yet at the same time he made the decisions and at a certain point he has to seek out help if he really wants to change. If not, then I hope he will still have a relationship with his children and not turn up dead somewhere of an overdose or something.

19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7983787/dennis-rodman-sentenced-not-paying-child-support
    Dennis Rodman sentenced
    Updated: May 29, 2012, 3:16 PM ET
    Associated Press

ORANGE, Calif. -- Flamboyant former NBA star Dennis Rodman was sentenced in family court Tuesday to 104 hours of community service on four counts of contempt for failing to pay child support.

Court Commissioner Barry Michaelson also placed Rodman on three years of informal probation. The sentence includes the condition that Rodman pay current child and spousal support obligations.

"My suggestion is to use your talents as a motivator, as a fine, fine athlete and as a fine person to assist others in need," Michaelson told the retired basketball player.

The court hearing remained under way at late morning on other issues in the case. Rodman was present.

Mary Ann Noiroux, an attorney for Rodman's ex-wife, Michelle, said in an earlier interview that Rodman also could be ordered to pay more than $800,000 in back child support.

Noiroux said Rodman also faces additional contempt charges for other missed payments, and another conviction could land him in jail.

Rodman's attorney, Linnea Willis, did not return calls for comment prior to the hearing.

Rodman -- known for his wild behavior and Technicolor hair as well as his rebounding skills -- married in 2003. His wife filed for divorce a year later. Since then, the couple has been feuding over custody and support of their two children, ages 10 and 11.

Rodman was found guilty of the counts of contempt last year for child support owed in 2009 and 2010.

His attorney has claimed he owes far less money. Court documents filed earlier this year indicated that Rodman was "broke." His tax return from 2010 shows he earned roughly $150,000, but his financial manager said he owes significant amounts in back taxes.

She also said Rodman's alcoholism has tarnished his image and made it difficult for him to obtain corporate endorsements and other work.

Rodman currently pays about $4,500 a month in child and spousal support, said Jack Kayajanian, another attorney for Michelle Rodman who is focused on recovering the payments.

"My desire is not to put Dennis Rodman in jail. My desire is to shake the tree a little bit and get money for his children," he said.

Rodman was a bad-boy star of the Detroit Pistons and won three NBA championships with the Chicago Bulls. He also played for the Los Angeles Lakers, and lived in California's affluent Orange County before moving to Florida. He was inducted into the NBA Hall of Fame last year.

Rodman dated Madonna, was married briefly to Carmen Electra, and gave loud parties that led to frequent run-ins with the law when he lived in Newport Beach.

Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press