1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CBS] Andre Johnson Was Denied New Contract

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by justtxyank, May 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Relentless

Relentless Member

I don't think they had contracts paying them over 16 mil a year.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

These examples are a little skewed because Moss' value was in the absolute toilet at the time he was traded. In trouble with the law, needed a big new contract, and had crappy production. Boldin was basically a rental that was also due for a giant new contract. Not sure why Johnson got moved, but Gonzo is a better example of a high value player on a high value contract being moved mid-career.

3. DonnyMost

Moss was looking for a fat new contract, which is why NE dumped him. McNabb actually got 16 million per year from the Redskins after acquiring him, lulz.

4. Relentless

Relentless Member

Well, it's the Redskins so of course.

5. Remii

Remii Member

Do you mean to Indy...??? Lol...

I can't tell...

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Andre Johnson isn't quite as old as y'all think. WR's that keep themselves in shape can play well into there late 30's at a high level. And Andre doesn't rely on speed to create separation.

With that said, quick, trade him for Jim Harbaugh and Aldon Smith before Andre changes his tune. O'Brien can put on the Toro costume like he likes to do.

What defense is that, Jim? "It's the Carcosa nickel. All the opposing QB can see is spaghetti faces with green ears."

7. So Good

So Good Member

8. DonnyMost

Teehee. +1

The value of a guy with a fat contract vs. a guy who is looking for a fat contract is a funny thing.

On the one hand, if you trade for a guy with a fat contract, it's like, yeah, he's getting paid a lot... but chances are you owe him no guaranteed money, so if he doesn't play up to his salary, you can waive him.

If you trade for a dude that is looking for a new deal, you also have the option to bail after the year ends... but if he performs and you give him guaranteed money, you are on the hook for a lot longer.

I think AJ's deal, as big as it is, is more desirable since most, if not all, of the guaranteed money is done.

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

No player is bigger than the team, not even AJ.

10. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

It cracks me up to see people on Twitter saying "ignore the money".

No, it's a pretty simple equation. Andre agreed to multiple extensions with the Texans, most recently in August 2010, when the franchise hadn't even made the playoffs a single time. He knew what he was getting into. He knew there was no history of winning and no franchise QB. But he prioritized financial security ahead of giving him the best shot to win. It's not that he didn't care about winning, but $$$ was clearly the top concern.

Now the shoe is on the other foot... and the Texans are supposed to prioritize AJ's chance to win over what's best for them as an organization? Please. If AJ wasn't willing to make that sacrifice himself, he shouldn't expect the team to do it. If the Texans shockingly received a great offer (i.e. a 1st or 2nd), then maybe you take it as a favor to AJ, but you can't trade him just because he asks. It's a $12 million cap hit, a giant hole in your roster, and for what... a 4th or 5th round pick? Nowhere near enough. He's staying.

11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Pretty much. The head coach is the most important part of a team.

It sucks if he leaves. But if we can get a good haul for him then it is what it is.

I'd like to think he'd give his new coach a chance, but maybe this is best for both sides.

12. Remii

Remii Member

What do you mean "act." He hasn't demanded to be traded and hasn't done or said anything that's detrimental to the team and has always been a great citizen.

He shouldn't be crucified by you and other Texans fans for what he said.

Ben Tate was right.

13. Rick Rambis

Rick Rambis Member

Agreed on the Moss/Boldin situations. Moss was also later traded to Minn as DonnyMost pointed out. Bills and Stevie were unhappy with each other as far as I read. Gonzo probably the closest situation but Gonzo is one of greatest TE of all time and was very healthy when traded. While 'Dre has played all 32 games in the last 2 years, his health will be brought into question.

14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Am I missing something? Has Andre said he wants out or criticized the team or something?

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He chose money over winning, now he wants to win. He changed his mind. Hardly a crime in my book.

16. tested911

tested911 Member

Kinda seems that way..

Andre Johnson unsure about return

1 person likes this.
  17. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

My nipples hurt.

18. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

This.

I'm a huge AJ fan. Why? Because everything that he's achieved in his career was done while wearing a TEXANS uniform. That's what makes this guy important to me.

I see huge red flags when a guy, a team leader, is saying that he doesn't plan on attending OTAs and mini camp when there's a new coach, staff, and system. This guy isn't buying in, and what's worse is that he's not even giving BO'B and his staff a chance. If it's a problem now, then it'll be a problem later.

I hate to say it, and I hope I'm wrong.... But I think AJ is on his way out of Houston. It'll be a huge hit to the cap and to the roster, but you can't have a disgruntled leader on your team. It just won't work.

19. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Agreed. Trade him for a young wideout or an ILB for crenell's liking.

20. HPD

HPD Member

Trade him to raiders team up with matt sloth

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.