1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CBS] Andre Johnson Was Denied New Contract

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by justtxyank, May 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Remii

Remii Member

I agree with you on this. Would have a lot more cap space next year if they trade him this year.

But it doesn't necessarily mean the Texans will be able to go out in replace him in the free agent market. Receivers like D-Jax rarely hit the free agent market. Eric Decker is more in the Mike Wallace category of receivers. They are not #1 receivers but they get paid like one.

2. Remii

Remii Member

I also tend to believe if O'Brien would have got Mike Vick _ Dre wouldn't be complaining. But an unproven head coach + a proven garbage quarterback = an unhappy Dre.

3. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

He signed a contract..... He's whining and went public with a private matter.

I love what he has done for us, but make your multi-millions and do what you love to do as a job.

4. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

You think QB was our only problem? It clearly wasn't if we got rid of the entire coaching staff. But lets just say QB was the only reason we went 2-14. How did we fix that? Replacing a horrific QB with another horrific QB? Rebuilding done.

5. Major

Major Member

Ah yes, the whole "you get paid so you shouldn't have opinions and should be allowed to share them" mentality. He didn't ask for a trade. He didn't ask for a new contract. He didn't make any demands of the team. All he did was express how he feels and his thoughts on his current situation - players have a right to do that. As do employees of any organization.

Why do you feel you're entitled to discuss your thoughts on his situation in a public forum but he shouldn't be allowed to share his own?

6. tmacfor35

We'll easy, this is a forum, and that's a multi million dollar business. Not sure where the comparison is?

He signed the dotted line. He knew there was a possibility that this team could bottom out. And it did!

Threatening to not show up to a mandatory camp is a big deal when you have a new regime coming in. It's business, and guess what, all those yards and receptions of Andre's career do what for the Texans this year?

I love Dre, but he handled this poorly.

7. Major

Major Member

So what? If we're just going to look at this from a business standpoint, does his contract require him to stay silent? Employees complain about their jobs all the time.

And he hasn't asked out or asked for a trade or demanded anything from the team. He's not in violation of his contract.

8. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Nobody was expecting that debacle of a season pimpn. Everybody knew we were either contenders or we would go deep into the playoffs. So you can best believe Dre didn't see that coming. If we would had stayed the course from the previous two seasons where we won our division and a playoffs game in each of those seasons, Dre wouldn't be tripping today. He would be looking forward to another successful season and another opportunity to get to the big dance.

9. rmoreno

rmoreno Member

LMFAO, so I should check my reading comprehension. Hmmmm lets examine your statement. You compared Reggie Wayne's situation to Andre Johnson's situation and then brought up Luck. Meaning Luck was one of the reason's why Reggie Wayne didn't go on a rant. Thus he was happy with the selection of Andrew Luck, conclusively suggesting that Andre Johnson would have been happy if we would have drafted any of the top 3 QB's. Then you go even further with the following statement.

So your not comparing Luck to any of the top 3 QB's, then why even bring him up for this specific situation????? :confused:

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, his contract requires that he stay silent with his criticisms of the team for the most part. Most NFL players have clauses in their contracts like that. Becoming a distraction is detrimental to the franchise, and he's becoming a distraction. Fortunately, this is just a contract dispute, so it'll be settled fairly quickly because it's not like Andre Johnson is a headcase he's just upset about potentially becoming a cap casualty next year. However, other players have found themselves out of the league when they became a distraction in the past, the only guys who can consistently be a distraction and get away with it are elite level players and even they get dumped the second their play takes a step back. Every single NFL player is in the top 1% of wage earners in the US, as such they are held to a higher standard than 99% of jobs out there.

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

There is no clause in a player's contract that says he has to stay silent or that he can't criticize the team.

12. mick fry

mick fry Member

No way was the qb the only prob. When you go 2-14 I guess anything thats done is a rebuild because this thing collapsed. I dont understand why AJ wants to cry now that Mcnair is trying to right the ship. Was he thinking last year man I hope we can keep this group together next year because we are almost there.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Heh, tell Don Jones that.

14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

He wasn't punished for criticizing the Dolphins.

You realize that players criticize their team EVERY year right?

15. tmacfor35

He is becoming a distraction. It's not a good look when the proverbial team leader is stating that he doesn't believe he is coming to mandatory camps etc. Great example he is making, because he isn't the only veteran going through it.

If you are going to compare public forum speaking to a face of the franchise speaking out, then let me introduce my own ridiculous comparison.

Ever have a girlfriend state that she didn't know what she wanted anymore? Guess what, that relationship was over at that point. Send him a long his merry way if he won't buy in.

His past accomplishments aren't winning you any games, and his attitude toward the 2014 Texans won't help either.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He was punished for stating his opinion. Which is why the original statement (not yours) of "Ah yes, the whole "you get paid so you shouldn't have opinions and should be allowed to share them" mentality" is flawed.

There are lots of guys that get fined or suspended for conduct or comments that are deemed detrimental to their team. Andre hasn't gone that far, and likely won't because this is just a contract dispute, but if his comments were deemed detrimental to the team, he could absolutely be fined or suspended for it. When you are a 1%er you have to watch what you say.

17. meh

meh Contributing Member

Eric Decker paid like a #1? He makes less than half of what Andre is making. How is that being paid like a #1? Andre makes the same amount as both Desean Jackson and Eric Decker COMBINED. And keep in mind Andre's contract was done back before the salary cap started to rise.

18. Major

Major Member

I did no such thing. You really should look at the quote I replied to and what my actual response was. This is where that whole reading comprehension thing would help.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, there's no question that Andre is paid a ton, he's still the 3rd highest paid WR in the game and the drop off in WR payments has the 9th highest paid WR making literally half what Andre is. The 8th highest paid player only makes 500k more than half of what Andre makes. Andre actually wants to make that money though. You cut him next year and the savings are enough to pay for Brandon Marshall AND Wes Welker or Roddy White AND Greg Jennings or how about Reggie Wayne, Demaryius Thomas, AND Julio Jones. He knows there is no way the team could justify keeping him on next year with a 16 million dollar cap hit

20. Major

Major Member

Did you just make that up? Please find me the silence clause in the NFL contract.

This is more made up garbage. Making a lot of money does not require anyone to be silent. Rich people complain about their jobs all the time too.

That's fine and all - has nothing to do with him "signing on the bottom line". You said it was a business - if you look at it that way, his obligations include only what he signed in his contract. That does not including being a team leader or being a great example. If you want him to do those things, don't act like "it's just a business" and treat him like a human - one that has opinions and feelings and might consider sharing them.

Sure - and the Texans have the right to do that if they want. He has a right to speak out; Texans have a right to respond as they wish.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.