1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CBS] Andre Johnson Was Denied New Contract

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by justtxyank, May 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mick fry

mick fry Member

Lmao, well it was nice while it lasted.

2. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Another article from NFL.com (link) saying that AJ is more unhappy with the thought of rebuilding than his contract status.

3. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

I do feel Andre on this. This organization took so long to fire Capers and Kubiak it was ridiculous. Gave Carr and Schaub all the faith in the world for 5 and 7 years. Then now they want to hire Bill O'brien a total unknown. I like O'brien more than the previous two but that is besides the point. They didn't take long at all to fire Frank Bush or get rid of Banks at qb. Texans have been too much of a farm system over the years. Full of good old boy bs. Starting over after all that BS is hard and whose to say they have really changed. We didn't trade up one spot to get Bridgewater and I knew we wouldn't get Manziel. This organization as spit in the face of Andre Johnson in terms of doing what it takes to win not to mention the fans. The minute Andre complains all the hate comes give the guy a break he's been the good ol boy too long now he has to seriously think what will it take to get that super bowl ring and coming to reality that Houston is one of 4 cities to never see a super bowl has to sit in his mind to the point where you have to question what kind of business or franchise is this really? Or maybe Andre can come to the rodeo, keep a big smile on his face and eat some BBQ.

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

From the article you quoted:

What WR in the twilight of his career wants to play with a rookie QB? :confused:

5. Major

Major Member

Not that it's relevant to anything, but Reggie Wayne was a year older than AJ when he bought into Andrew Luck. He was even a free agent and signed up for the deal, if I remember correctly.

6. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

To be fair, (and I know Andre bears no responsibility in this) he was a HUGE Schaub supporter while #8 was here. It would be disingenuous for Andre to be frustrated with the quarterback situation here while still being loyal to one of the biggest culprits of the problem. I do think he's frustrated with the direction of the franchise (and probably holds no faith in management to make the right decisions), but at the same time, there isn't much he can do since he was on board with Kubiak and Schaub while they were failing. I'm really not sure what he wants the Texans to do. I get that he wants there to be a QB he can put his faith into, but at the same time, I'm sure he understands that every QB taken in the draft this year is a HUGE unknown.

7. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

He signed a contract to get paid to do a job.

I would never be allowed to get away with this at my job, but his talent gives him leeway I suppose.

8. ima_drummer2k

Luck was not your typical rookie QB. He was already better than a lot of NFL starting QBs before he was even drafted.

Every QB in this year's draft is a complete crap-shoot (IMO).

9. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

You know what... you made a good point. That's so true. I hated he was on board with Kubiak and Schaub the past few years especially last year where I felt they should have upgraded after the playoff lost to New England. Houston seems to always be behind the times on things. Houston has to fail first before understanding a person or an idea is already a failure to begin with. That ticks me off most about Houston Texan football. I have been saying that what Ed Reed said in one year Andre should have said years ago so to me Andre does carry fault in this too.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

His contract was a lot more solid back then. Now he could become a cap casualty as early as next year, now he complains. The only thing that Andre has ever held out of OTA's for in his entire career has been contract related, this time is no different.

11. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Heard Matt Thomas talking about this earlier today.

12. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Hey gents what if we would have brought in a more experienced Head Coach. Do yall think Andre would be happy? We all can agree to the notion that we don't know exactly what BOB brings to the table. This is his 1st season as an nfl head coach. Add in the fact that we might be seeing a rookie quarterback at the helm. So If I were Andre, I would be a little concerned to.

13. Major

Major Member

Very few people thought Luck (and the Colts) would have the immediate success they had. No one thought they'd make the playoffs in 2012, for sure. And with the dismantling of their defense, it was thought to be an extended rebuilding process. And he only signed a 3 year deal, so he was buying into spending the twilight of his career in a rebuild as opposed to thinking they'd be a contender of any sort.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Nope, none of that would matter because none of that is the problem. The problem is contract related, no matter what he says. He didn't care until he was facing potentially the last year of his deal.

15. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

so why not keep your mouth shut, come into otas/camp and see how the team starts? behind the scenes start the conversations that if we start bad then he'll be traded before the deadline. trade deadline isn't until late October or so that's almost half the season to see if texans are rebuilding or reloading. another benefit for andre is midseason contenders are clearer.

unless..., it is about money?!?! :grin:

16. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

They didn't think they would make it back to the playoffs that soon but they knew he was the real deal.

17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

It's probably just a coincidence that Travis Johnson gave this story to CBS before any of this broke in the media and he mentioned a contract issue.

Just a coincidence.

18. ima_drummer2k

Perhaps, but you have to admit that, as a WR, the prospect of catching passes from Andrew Luck was better than the prospect of catching passes from Patrick Ramsey/Case Keenum/Fred Savage.

19. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

I don't think its about the contract but hey who knows. You might be right on the money but up until he says it, I will continue to think he is unhappy. All great players wants to win a Super Bowl or at least make it there a few times before father time takes over. Lol

20. Major

Major Member

This is also the only time he's ever been nearing the end of his career. Just because something always has been true doesn't mean it always will be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.