1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

CBO Scores Gang of 8 Senate Immigration Bill

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by mc mark, Jun 18, 2013.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just to follow on my post above. For those of you upset that immigrants are here working for low wages. What is your alternative?

Would you prefer them to remain in their home countries where they are working third world poverty wages with little opportunity for a better life?

The problem with the view that we are exploiting immigrants is that you have to consider the alternative and why they want to come to this country in the first place.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

We have several Greek d bags on this site. Do we truly need another? Who let him over the fence?

3. thegreekdbag

thegreekdbag Member

4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I'd prefer they worked to improve conditions in their own countries rather than sneaking into my country and telling me what they deserve. My alternative is doing a better job controlling our borders and changing citizenship by birth laws to require one American born parent. The whole business of coming to the US to have babies is appalling. We can implement guest worker programs if necessary as well.

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Get back in your barn D-Bag.

6. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6inKyUCXbjc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Sessions has created like 0.1% of the jobs Zuckerberg has directly and indirectly made.

Big mouth---how about he tries to hire 1,000 people, then he can talk.

Commodore, what happened to your fetish for free markets, and job creators? I guess they're just the wrong kind of job creators---the people who create billions in wealth rather than exploiting billions in wealth. As for American STEM students, if they can't compete with foreign talent, well then tough. Randian survival of the fittest for them!

8. Raven

Raven Member

We didn't have a safety net before, now we do. Every citizen should have health care and housing. I absolutely believe that. But we can't provide those things (and others) to every citizen if our population continues to surge.

9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Telling you what they deserve?

Pretty much all of the conversations I've had with immigrants, both documented and not, they pretty much want the chance to earn a good living and help support their families. DO you think they don't deserve that?

As far as doing a better job in their own countries how is that going to happen if their isn't the capital investment in their countries to improve things? People act like if we just shut down borders and stop trade that will somehow improve things everywhere when history shows it is anything but otherwise. Immigrants coming here and sending money back to their home countries actually helps to improve things in their own countries. It also helps us in the long run too.

I agree a greatly expanded guest worker program would be good. As far as citizenship as an American citizen who was born to non-Americans I am going to call it paranoia over changing the citizenship laws. People like myself have greatly added to this country and society.

10. Northside Storm

Your assumption is that people who immigrate can't be useful.

I work in a lot of immigrant-friendly fields and see tons of immigrants making a difference. So you'll have to excuse my bias when I think a lot of immigrants and an open border policy will more than pay for themselves.

[​IMG]

11. Raven

Raven Member

The majority of our immigrants are uneducated, and they will never put as much back in as they take out. All they do is give corporations cheap labor, and taxpayers have to foot the bill. It's corporate welfare. It's wrong. And it's bad for working class families.

If Tyson's, Walmart, and McDonalds need immigrant labor, then they should house, feed, and care for these people, not the American taxpayer.

And we are running record unemployment, and corporations still want more cheap labor. 1,000 people for every job available is what Wall Street wants, and that sucks for everyone in America who isn't a millionaire.

We have enough people, we don't need more. I trust that study you provided about as much as you'd trust one from the Heritage Foundation.

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

It's a paycheck.

Less flippantly, looking at the drivers and the sensitivities and uncertainties around each gives you insight into the business, what's most important, your best and worst case scenarios, and a little confidence that there is some version of reality where your plans could work. But, if someone is modeling a proposal that does not have an historical run-rate and then gives a singular answer -- we'll save $200b -- I can't make any use of that. That's just politicking. I just hope our congressmen got into the detail enough to have a feel for what phenomena will be encouraged or discouraged by their legislation, and that they have some interest in promoting the country's interest.

13. Major

Major Member

Since when is 7.5% unemployment a record? It's like you just live in your own version of reality that is nothing like the actual world.

14. Raven

Raven Member

Replace the word record with the word high. Why not end immigration until unemployment is reduced to the lowest level possible?

Will you admit that big business uses immigration to suppress wages?

15. CometsWin

You don't sneak into a country illegally and advocate to earn a good living and support your family as an illegal alien that cant work legally in the first place. No, you don't deserve to profit off of making a mockery of the law. There's a huge hypocrisy in the way Mexico in particular treats immigrants and foreigners and the way they advocate Mexicans sneaking into America should be treated.

Their capital investment in their countries is their own problem just like ours is our problem. Don't take money out of my community to prop up your country. My community could use that money just as well.

I didn't say close down the border, I said control the border. That anyone can sneak into our country is a joke. We literally don't have the first clue who is walking across our border.

It's not paranoia even a little bit. Foreign nationals make a mockery of our citizenship laws. There are people who literally come here while pregnant just to abuse our laws and have their child born an American citizen.

16. CometsWin

This isn't an illegal immigrant graphic.

17. thegreekdbag

thegreekdbag Member

Get back in my barn? Hilarious...

18. Northside Storm

convert illegals to legals, and see where that goes.

It's worked very well so far (America is a testament to illegal immigrants doing great things, lest Americans forget who the country was founded upon).

19. Northside Storm

Immigrants spend money. They create jobs. They create more demand.

America's birth rate recently dovetailed, and it's about time that people realized that well, people are the economy, and a whole lot less people will mean a whole lot less for you down the road.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323375204578270053387770718.html

20. CometsWin

Convert convicts to law abiding citizens and see where that goes? WTF kind of logic is that?

Can you cite anything with respect to illegal aliens creating fortune 500 companies? Americans don't forget that the country was founded upon the rule of law, not the rule of anything goes.