1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CBO: Republican health plan would reduce premiums, cut deficit

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, Nov 5, 2009.

1. basso

basso Member
    Supporting Member

granted, it does not cover everyone, but i fail to see why it's necessary to sped $1 Trillion to cover those not covered under the republican plan.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/o...lth-plan-would-reduce-premiums--69270747.html

[rquoter]CBO: Republican health plan would reduce premiums, cut deficit
    By: SUSAN FERRECHIO
    Chief Congressional Correspondent
    11/05/09 6:30 AM EST

The Congressional Budget Office Wednesday night released its cost analysis of the Republican health care plan and found that it would reduce health care premiums and cut the deficit by $68 billion over ten years.

The Republican plan does not call for a government insurance plan but rather attempts to reform the system by creating high-risk insurance pools, allowing people to purchase health insurance policies across state lines and instituting medical malpractice reforms.

"Not only does the GOP plan lower health care costs, but it also increases access to quality care, including for those with pre-existing conditions, at a price our country can afford," House Minority Leader John Boehner, R-Ohio, said.

According to CBO, the GOP bill would indeed lower costs, particularly for small businesses that have trouble finding affordable health care policies for their employees. The report found rates would drop by seven to 10 percent for this group, and by five to eight percent for the individual market, where it can also be difficult to find affordable policies.

The GOP plan would have the smallest economic impact on the large group market that serves people working for large businesses that have access to the cheapest coverage. Those premiums would decline by zero to 3 percent, the CBO said.

The analysis shows the Republican plan would do little to expand coverage, which Democrats were quick to point out in a late night missive to reporters.

"Here's the Bottom line - Americans lose and Insurance companies win under the Republican plan," Pelosi spokesman Nadeam Elshami said.

The CBO found that under the Republican plan, insurance coverage would increase by about 3 million and that the percentage of insured non-elderly adults would remain at about 83 percent after ten years. The House bill would increase coverage to an additional 36 million people, raising the number of insured to 96 percent.

The CBO put the price tag for the GOP plan at $61 billion, a fraction of the $1.05 trillion cost estimate it gave to the House bill that lawmakers are set to vote on this weekend. And the CBO found that the Republican provision to reform medical malpractice liability would result in $41 billion in savings and increase revenues by $13 billion by reducing the cost of private health insurance plans.[/rquoter]

2. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Member

It doesn't take care of the biggest part of our healthcare issue: the huge number of uninsured people.

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

Not interested, thanks.

1 person likes this.
  4. pirc1

pirc1 Member

If the only objective is cut cost, why not do away with medicare medicaid? That should save a lot of money right?

5. mc mark

mc mark Member

saves money by not covering any new people....

hum......

6. Franchise2001

Franchise2001 Contributing Member

Here's our amazing plan that will take the non-insured percentage of Americans from 17 percent to an amazing 17 percent!!!

NSFW Language:
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RjtnRmy0H-U&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RjtnRmy0H-U&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

7. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

actually it costs almost the same amount but with less coverage as the other bill. It's like the same bill but just doesn't have any of the health care stuff in it. What a great idea!

In fact the Democratic bill would reduce the deficit by 110 billion and the GOP bill would only reduce it by 68 billion. Add that to the fact that it doesn't help the uninsured, and it's a huge loser.

http://prescriptions.blogs.nytimes....-monitor-questions-impact-of-gop-health-bill/

8. Depressio

Depressio Member

9. Rashmon

Rashmon Member

A swing and a miss...
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Member

Basso, is the Congressional Budget Office a credible body who bases their findings on facts?

1 person likes this.
  11. uolj

uolj Member

Actually, I think this is a good move by Republicans.

The Democratic priorities were to slow the rising health care costs, cover more people, and get rid of some of the insurance company policies that prevent people from getting coverage they need. The Republican priorities for health care reform seem to only be the first part, slowing the rise of health care costs.

There's nothing inherently wrong with that. And they feel that it isn't worth the risk to spend so much more money and make the changes that the other priorities require. So they crafted this alternative that meets those goals. It seems like a perfectly valid alternative.

Now, my personal opinion is that insuring more people and getting rid of the pre-existing condition loophole and ability to deny coverage are important enough to make the necessary changes, so I support the democratic proposals more. But perhaps unlike some other Republican alternatives on other issues I think this provides a legitimate choice that differs from the ones coming together in the house and senate.

12. SuperS32

SuperS32 Member

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/ezra-klein/2009/11/congressional_budget_office_th.html

1 person likes this.
  13. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Member

fixed

14. gifford1967

gifford1967 Member
    Supporting Member

A couple of other points should get bolded there-

15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think its a bad plan if the goal was a marginal improvement in regard to health care. What I am wondering about though if the Republicans had this idea why didn't they enact something like this when they were in charge or for that matter campaign on it?

16. mc mark

mc mark Member

more,

from Think Progress --

The Congressional Budget Office has concluded that the overwhelming majority of Americans would remain uninsured and continue paying higher premiums under the Republicans’ health care alternative. In fact, it’s unlikely that any of the members of the Republican House Leadership would be able to find affordable insurance under their own proposal, should they chose to give up their government-sponsored plans. The six men and one woman in the Republican House leadership have an average age of 52 and, as a group, are more susceptible to cardiovascular disease, different cancers, high blood pressure, and a host of other chronic diseases. The Republican health alternative would allow insurers to discriminate against these conditions and price the Republican leaders out of the market. Igor Volsky explains why Republicans wouldn’t find coverage under their own health plan.

17. rocket3forlife2

This is basically the plan for America! Thanks Alan Grayson for having the balls to say it.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-usmvYOPfco&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-usmvYOPfco&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

1 person likes this.
  18. Jordan 18

Jordan 18 Member

I'm in the middle

but i don't see why people should have to pay for other people's health care

sorry and i never will

19. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

Do you have health insurance?

If you do have health insurance, you are subsidizing others' health care.

Unless you use it a lot - in which case you are forcing others to subsidize yours.

That's the point of having insurance.

20. Jordan 18

Jordan 18 Member

I'm just saying i pay for my own health care insurance

i def pay more on insurance than what i use

i just would never want a normal individual to pay for my necessities

nor do i want to pay for theirs!

but thats life i guess!