1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CBO: $15 minimum wage hike would cost 1.4M jobs

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Amiga, Feb 9, 2021.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What the hell does incentive of work have to do with the guy working in the factory and the guy flipping burgers?

They both have to go into work.

Nobody is saying everybody has to be paid the same, you are just creating scenarios that don't make sense and you have yet to say why these people would be hurt, if they want to be paid more just find another job right?

I don't care what everybody else is making.

2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

link?

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Too bad you have to resort to backhanded compliments when we do agree on an issue.

4. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

What?? Explain that to women who are demanding equal pay.

You absolutely should care about what other people are making ... unless you're one of those who want to do as little as possible.

5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Can you show me something that supports this because if it was this simple nobody would be advocating for it.

6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So you still can't say who this is hurting and now you want to steer the convo somewhere else.

I will admit I would care what others are making if we are doing the exact same thing but I would not care what someone at another totally different job is making and I would not care what the minimum was because I am way beyond the minimum.

I should not care because I should know what I am worth and I don't have to take the job if I can make better somewhere else.

7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Ok so this what I have found and there just seems to be theories of what would happen and previous raises do not bear out the inflation theory or that 15$ will be the same as 7.25

https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/052815/does-raising-minimum-wage-increase-inflation.asp

The Argument that Minimum Wages Increase Inflation
    Raising the minimum wage has been attacked on at least two fronts. First, economists argue that such a minimum creates an artificial floor in the labor market, which can cause distortions and inefficiencies. The rationale is that in a free market for labor, somebody may be willing to work a job for say, $10 per hour but since the government mandates, say, at least $15 per hour, that worker cannot competitive bid lower for the job. The second argument is that employers, forced to pay more in wages, will end up hiring fewer workers, which can actually lead to higher unemployment as those workers (who were perhaps willing to work for lower wages) are unable to be hired.

With regard to inflation, so-called wage push inflation is the result from a general rise in wages. According to this hypothesis, in order to maintain corporate profits after an increase in wages, employers must increase the prices they charge for the goods and services they provide. The overall increased cost of goods and services has a circular effect on the wage increase; eventually, as goods and services in the market overall increase, higher wages will be needed to compensate for the increased prices of consumer goods.

According to economic analyst Ed Rensi, formerly an executive at McDonald’s, a higher minimum wage would not only kill existing jobs but also result in closing a substantial number of small businesses, from 15% to 20%. In theory, raising the minimum wage forces business owners to raise the prices of their goods or services, thereby spurring inflation. In actual practice, however, it is not so simple since wages are only one part of the cost of a product or service paid for by consumers. A higher minimum wage can be offset by heightened productivity by workers or trimming down a company’s manpower.

Moreover, increases in prices following minimum wage hikes generally have occurred in the month the minimum wage hike is implemented, and not in the months before or the months after. Interestingly, they find that small minimum wage hikes (e.g. on the order of 5-15%) do not lead to higher prices, and they might actually lead to lower prices. On the other hand, large minimum wage hikes have clear positive effects on output prices which can ripple through to higher consumer prices.

8. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

This is natural competition in our society. We are selfish in nature. That's the same argument I hear from everybody, how is it fair for individual X to flip burgers and make the same money as individual Y which takes actual skill.

It's a fair point to bring up, after all, individual Y made the decision to learn his skill to increase his earning power versus individual X that chose to stay status quo. The problem is that everyone has a different story and we can't just generalize individuals into this category. As a developed nation, we should make it possible for everybody to have the basic necessities to have the opportunity to pursue a good quality of life. Personally I like what @Sweet Lou 4 2 has been stating.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I get it but I also get tired of everybody ******** on the service worker like its an easy job and the same premise applies, to the get another job the same guy can increase his skill and make more money right?

I am not even sure 15 dollars is not too much but the arguments against that amount mostly comes off as hating and petty.

#129 jiggyfly, Feb 10, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
  10. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

That's what I mean that it comes from a position of being selfish. I don't like the hate the service worker gets either. This whole notion that "I worked harder" means nothing to me because somehow this nation has sold the idea that if you make more money that means you worked harder, which is not true.

There are so many damn factors in play that I can't sit here and judge individuals. I do believe that those that oppose minimum wage have a point when they are essentially saying we are kicking the can down the road, because some day, $15 will not be enough either. There are certainly legitimate concerns about the number of jobs that will be lost over time and increase in the cost of living as well since costs are usually passed down to the consumer, however, sometimes you have to ask yourself, what is the best solution. It's not as if having a $7.25 minimum wage has been a good solution either and it's worse when you consider what percentage of the workforce is still making under $15 an hour.

Once again, I do like the suggestion that Sweet Lou has suggested. Guarantee that people have the basic necessities and let's promote a higher quality of life for our society. We have the money to do so, let's stop being selfish about it.

DVauthrin, Nook, mdrowe00 and 2 others like this.
  11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I agree with this as well but those same issues are gonna crop up as raising the minimum wage because somebody is gonna have to pay for that stuff and at the end of the day I don't want to be too dependent on the Gov I would rather some of the money that these execs get from bonuses and stock options go to the workers and that profits do not drive everything.

That same selfishness will have people not working because all of their basic needs are met and that will contribute to the haves and have nots. I have seen what welfare has done to some in the black community and how some people just want to get by.

12. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

The poorest people are rarely homeowners. In terms of rent vouchers, do you have any idea how hard it is to get section 8 vouchers? You're totally right - increasing the availability of housing assistance would be a huge benefit to low income families.

In my mind, though, that's a different issue than the minimum wage discussion. I'm not sold that $15/hr is the right number, but I know that the current level is too low. And it's imperative the new amount is automatically tied to inflation, because God knows it would take forever for Congress to raise it again otherwise.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Good if your business can't sustain itself with it's employees making a livable wage it is not a viable business.

DD

glynch likes this.
  14. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

The opponents of higher minimum wage, on this forum a couple of years ago they suddenly got worried that "poors" as some actually called them will not be able to enjoy the luxury of eating off the dollar menu at McDonalds.
    I ran this by a friend who a very high level executive in retail. He explained to me that at most 25% of the cost of the dollar small burger is due to labor, so it is true that it might then be the $1.25 menu if you double the minimum wage.

Relax, opponents, just like you have been fed bull about trickle down for 40 years you have been misled on the minimum wage. Ever wonder why you might be misled like these issues?

Andre0087 and London'sBurning like this.
  15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Consumers pay for it if it's a minimum wage increase as execs won't be affected one bit. The only way you can take away money from execs is if you put higher taxes on exec salaries and return the money to basic necessities to the working class. Then there is no need to raise the minimum wage - just make it a requirement to have a minimum number of hours worked to qualify for gov't assistance and you've solved the liveable wage issue AND controlled inflation.

Increasing the minimum wage alone only drives inflation and will not resolve the issue.

ROCKSS and jiggyfly like this.
  16. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Its not about the ease of the job. Its the skill set of a job. Its not about snobbing service workers. Do you really think Chic-fil-a and Burger King hire the same type of workers? Both businesses are in the same industry. One of these companys actually pay their employees better and believe it or not, good customer service is a skill set.
    Believe it or not, most stereotypical low paying jobs pay above minimum wage. Those who are getting paid minimum wage are very often never developing a skill set, on or off the job. These will be the first people displaced and remain unemployed.

I fully support getting poor people help, contrary to your belief. Giving someone a fish does them no good when they will become hungry a day later.

17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I am on board with this but from what I have read raising the minimum wage is does not drive inflation or at least not a lot.

I would like a combination of both.

18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So now you are just rambling and yes Chic-fil-a and Burger King hire the same kind of workers I have placed people in both and I now people who have worked at both 1 at the same time.

You were the dude snobbing on fast food workers not me,

19. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

You're wrong about inflation. But I'm more interested in your "requirement to have a minimum number of hours worked to qualify for gov't assistance". What about people who are disabled? Mentally ill? Suffering from addictions? When you say government assistance, what programs are you specifically referring to?

Nook likes this.
  20. dmoneybangbang

The devil is in the details.... $15 federal minimum wage by 2030 is different than by 2026, the latter being what Florida is doing.