1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CBL] The Rockets already have their 3rd star

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by coachbadlee, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Karolik

Karolik Member

At first I thought he was a nut job, but I am starting to think he's a brilliant troll.

1 person likes this.
  2. bball_lifer

bball_lifer Member

[BBL] Could work holding to Asik, won't know till we try.

3. Ultramagnus

Ultramagnus Rookie

[UM]

If the Rockets insist on moving Asik, I'd like to see him land in OKC

Line-up:

Asik - Ibaka - Durant - Lamb - Westbrook

Formidable eh?

If he doesn't land there by trade, he'll still be unrestricted in 2.

4. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

What are we getting back from okc in the trade and how much is Asik signing for as a free agent? Going to have to be pennies.

5. hbomb

hbomb Member

I want to see his post that has the CBL in it.

All I think of with CBL is Case Base Learning.

"A 54yo f presents with right upper quadrant pain............"

never mind. LOL.

Asik is great, I would hardly call him a star. A star is some one like Harden, Howard, Lebron, Durant....

Perhaps a 2nd Tier star?

6. Ultramagnus

Ultramagnus Rookie

Rockets are not stupid and will not give Asik to OKC.

his free agency is 2 yrs so lots can happen. higher cap, they could be moving guys, etc.

after all the wheeling and dealing that had been going on, i can't believe you still think these kind of moves are not possible

GM's, they're creative and smart man. they'll find a way IF they want to.

So no, IF EVER it happens, it does not have to be for pennies.

7. LewLLOYD

LewLLOYD Member

Asik is huge.

But seriously. No, seriously, he's huge.

And he moves well, plays hard.

He is an excellent player.

With Asik we can go pretty far. As it has been said being able to shut down the lane for 48 minutes is important for wins.

Superstars are great, and very important. And even superstars need support.

8. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I didn't say that it could not happen. What I said was show me how it is going to happen.

Anyone can throw out an outrageous idea and say.."well, anything can happen"...

9. Ultramagnus

Ultramagnus Rookie

I'm not a GM so I'm not going to pretend I know EXACTLY HOW it would happen.

But I do know it's possible.

How exactly? 3 team deals, I don't know, whatever man.

Why would it not be possible man? Why are you so against even just with the idea? Can you tell me EXACTLY why it is not possible?

Point I was trying to make Mr. Expert IS, a lot of people don't value Asik that much in this forum. Maybe if they saw Asik in a line up with a contender, such as OKC, and realize what a monster team they'd have by just adding Asik, maybe they'd realize they'd want to keep Asik for ourselves and moving Asik is not such a wise idea afterall.

Keep him here, let us be the ones that have the formidable line up that includes Asik.

10. Ultramagnus

Ultramagnus Rookie

+1,000,000

i've posted so many arguments on the value of Asik and why Rockets whould keep him, that i'm tempted to paste all of that here again.

i can't believe so many guys miss or can't see his value/underestimate him even if it's so obvious.

11. iLookOK

iLookOK Member

You should be banned for intentionally manipulating people to click on this link thinking that a legit media source wrote an article about this issue.

Deceptive title......is deceptive.

12. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Can you read?

I specifically said that I didn't think is was not possible or couldn't happen.

I don't think it's likely though because they seem to have committed to Westbrook, Ibaka and Durant as their big three.

They traded Harden so that their payroll wouldn't be so high. I'm not saying Asik is going to make Harden Money, but he is going to command a nice contract if he keeps up his good play.

If you think Asik could end up in OKC I'm just curious as to how you see that happening. Not sure why that makes you want to mock me with the "Mr Expert" moniker....

I'll make sure in the future I don't question something when you say it. Because I guess it all falls under the anything can happen umbrella.

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Or, are CBL and ATW the same person???

14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Bingo!!!!!!!:grin:

15. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Could Asik be the most important player on this team now???

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Yes. Because of his trade value.

17. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

I saw a thread that said Asik formally requested a trade, but I didn't see a quote from the team, his agent, or Asik himself. The only quote that even remotely suggested he has formally complained was the quote by McHale that he "may be down in the dumps."

So are we even sure he is that upset and wants out? Clearly he wants to be a starter, EVERYONE does. That doesn't necessarily mean they want out. He has a short contract, it's not like he is stuck in the backup roll for years to come.

18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I was thinking it was because of his bench value.

19. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I don't think competing for a championship as a backup center is something that he will get hyped about. I think it might be if he had been on a losing team earlier in his career but he was a backup center on a contending team before he came to the Rockets. I think Asik is aware of the situation he is in and doesn't want to feel like he is taking a step back in his career.

20. zaam

zaam Contributing Member

Morey said that the benefit gained from having 48 minutes of strong presence in the middle outweighs any upgrade that can be currently made to other areas (the 4 spot). On this I would tend to take his words at face value.

That has to be balanced by the time factor — how long do you want to have a disgruntled player on your roster (assuming reports are true); but unless a high impact value deal presents itself right now, shouldn't the team at least see how things go with Asik still here?

One more thing to consider. BIG thing.
    Dr. First was on earlier today and basically said that he would not worry about Howard's back all that much. The shoulder, however, could be another matter. If it requires surgery, you are looking at about six months to return to form. Given that, shouldn't the Rockets bide their time and see how Howard performs through the early part of the season before pulling the trigger on a trade?

As fans we are all a little anxious to see the roster take shape. Hell, some days I think we are addicted to the excitement of trades. After the DH12 acquisition, I feel the need to see something else happen, too. I mean, bring it on. A good GM can't think that way though.

Asik has value. Whether you agree that he is a top 5 or top 10 center is immaterial. He is a desirable asset, and should not be exchanged for less than top return as long as the team can afford to hold him. If he winds up being little more than an unhappy insurance policy, or if the four spot sucks really bad, then you reconsider. At present, I think patience is wise.

1 person likes this.