1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Cavs: the Best Job Opening for an NBA "star" wing

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

If I were Tracy McGrady and still believe I have game, or any star or even pseudo-star wing (e.g. Turkoglu, maybe even Dunleavy Jr.), whether free agent or someone who might be traded, the one spot I'd love to go is Cleveland.

If you help that team stay respectable-- i.e. 45-50 wins and a playoff seed, you are going to be a hero to that town, and everyone else annoyed at Lebron James. You are also going to get inordinate amount of credit because that roster is, frankly, pretty underrated. That team won 60+ games and it's not all because of Lebron. Mo Williams and Jamison can score. Varejao is a good defensive big and there aren't enough of those in the NBA. Not sure what Hickson can do yet, but they seem high on the guy.

So, if I were TMac, or Hedo, any one of the guys looking to resurrect my career or anyone who can fill in the "very poor man's Lebron James" role, I'd totally go to Cleveland.

2. engr_alex

engr_alex Member

only problem is that tmac has said he's not looking to being the no 1 guy. and if he were, he would be better going back to NY because that team really needs to be saved. lol.

hedo wont go to cleveland either. he's got his contract already. what he likes is to be able to party all night. he'd be better off going to the nets. they can absorb his contract easily. a veteran presence who's good playing with a scoring PG and an offense centered on a, uh, center.

if someone is to go to cleveland, it should be arenas. a new start. he'd also be doing the wizards a favor by getting out of his contract and as a form of atonement for that gun brouhaha last year. he's still a good offensive player when healthy. and antawn really looks good playing with him. cleveland would make the playoffs with the current roster with jamison and arenas there. getting them to the playoffs with a chance of facing the heat would no doubt take him from being zero to hero. :grin:

3. AGBee

AGBee Member

It would be embarrassing to see T-Mac destroyed by the Justice League.

4. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

perfect situation for Tmac. He can go right in there and be the alpha dog. Man I totally wish Tmac could go sign a one year deal with the Cavs right now and I bet he can take them to 60+ wins easy. Thats how awesome Tmac is.

Cleveland 10-11 is the perfect place to show what the real Tmac is made of

the stage is set for him

5. ApuN

ApuN Member

Two things:

1. Boy, You TWac delusionist sure die hard.

2. No respectable FA is going to want to play for an owner who pulled a stunt the way he did with LeBron

The Cavs are pretty much going to be for a long time what they were before LeBron - garbage

6. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

i like this. arenas taking down lebron once again.

7. ILoveTheRockets

even if they have the same feelings as the owner?

8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yeah, really disagree with you there. Probably a good half of the players felt the same way about LeBr-yawn's hour of navel gazing. These are supposedly his peers who were just told in no uncertain terms that he's not really part of the union, he's super special.

If you're working in a company and a guy throws a special champagne brunch to announce he got the corner office, think his coworkers will really have his back? I wouldn't.

1 person likes this.
  9. pocketrocket81

It's a big IF on all this speculation about McGrady being able to lead the Cavs.But let's play along and assume he does take on the role that LBJ left open in Cleveland.If the Cavs led by McGrady met the Heat in the playoffs,who would you as a Rocket fan be rooting for in that matchup?
    For me I guess it would be McGrady only because I would want the Rockets to meet him in the finals and deny his ring.

10. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Call me crazy. But I wished so bad that McGrady hadn't burned his bridges here. If we swing a trade for Paul, it would be nice to have a halfway healthy McGrady signed at the minimum to come off the bench in the playoffs.

Putting aside all the personal junk just for a moment and think about a healthy McGrady on this squad, assuming we trade for Paul

Paul/Lowry
    Martin/Taylor
    Ariza/McGrady/Posey
    Yao/Okafor
    Scola/Patterson

Yeah, I know all of you McGrady haters are gonna come out of the woodwork with all your stuff about how he quit on us, he's a quitter, he's never been healthy and is not going to be healthy ever again, and he's done, etc. And he may be all those things. But, if he is really done, we will know it after he signs with someone and has to walk away midway through this season. Quitter...I think agree on this account. But it's the same case with Vince Carter, Rasheed Wallace, and countless other ultra talented players. They are quitters in the lead role, for whatever reason. But they are ultra talented and know how to play the game at a very high level and they are definite big time contributors to championship contending teams. Remember Rasheed from Portland to Detroit. Remember guys. Because IF McGrady has anything left physically, and he signs with a contender, he IS going to make a contribution. And IF all this is done at league minimum salary, which is what he is most likely to get, THEN somebody is going to wind up with extreme value.

A lot of IFs in the above, but there is virtually NO RISK. NO RISK, high potential reward, no potential downside.

I would love to see a makeup between McGrady and the Rox. If for no other reason than to keep him from going to the Lakers or Spurs or Mavs or God only knows who and be another cog against us.

11. Garner

Garner Member

joptmac- Honestly, compared to Lebron just did, Tmacs depature and history with the organization doesn't seem so bad, actually.

12. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

The guy held a one hour press conference at the last second just tell his hometown he's leaving. He deserved it. Even some of the Cavalier players took acception. Nothing wrong

13. Raven

Raven Member

Oh oh, here comes Iverson.

14. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I hope the Cavs waive West, trade for Al Jefferson with the TE from Miami and sign a decent wing player like a Chris Douglas Roberts...go to war with that team and it could be interesting while the team reloads.

Mo Willaims/Gibson
    Parker/Telfair
    CDR/Moon
    Jamison/Hickson
    Jefferson/Varejao

That MAY keep you in the playoff race around 6, 7 or 8.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Additional advantage of meeting Lebron's mom....apparently she is very welcoming to NBA players.

And Tmac needs to feel welcomed !

DD

16. lionaire

lionaire Member

I don't care where he goes as long as it's not Miami, and if he goes to NY don't be too much of a hero. ;)

17. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Really, what is the point of doing something like this to sneak into the playoffs? Cavs need to blow it up and rebuild. That team is a 1st round exit at best with no room to improve.

18. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

With Lebron gone, that city will revert back to being a wasteland and that sucks. Jefferson is a nice piece to start with and CDR would be a young promising player, so you stay competitive and allow for the other contracts like Jamison and Williams to expire after 11-12 then got for a MAX guy then. This can at least keep them what interesting for the fans and not lose complete interest in that team, again.

#18 rockets934life, Jul 10, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  19. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

LOL...that Cavs squad would win 20 games if Tmac is their leader. Two reasons:

1. Tmac is done
    2. That roster is garbage and the only single reason they managed to win 60 games was Lebron.

20. Kate81

Kate81 Member

Unless we're talking about how crazy Dan Gilbert is.

The Cavs don't deserve a thread on this forum. Irrelevant conversation.