1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cavs Sign Kyle Lowry

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ScolaIsBallin, Jul 13, 2010.

?

Should the Rockets match the Cavs offer (4 years, $24 million) for Kyle Lowry?

1. YES

712 vote(s)
    76.6%
  2. NO

217 vote(s)
    23.4%
  1. thelasik

thelasik Contributing Member

http://twitter.com/dmorey/status/18542114097

Wonder what the plan was?

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

3. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

First post, glad to be here.
    I wouldn't worry about it that much that we resigned Lowry to this kind of deal.

The collective bargaining agreement will either drastically reduce (30-40% maybe more), drastically change, or alter contracts leaving them no longer guaranteed (like NFL contracts). So all these spending spree deals franchises are spending on free agents and players should be written with an asterisk next to them.

So while this may seem like it would make AB and Scola ask for a lot more, it may actually turn out to be much less than its 2010 value.

NBA CBA info:

http://www.blazersedge.com/2010/2/8/1300493/the-new-cba-a-shotgun-wedding-on

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/Th...a_delivering_new_cba_proposal_by_end_of_month

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

But any contract signed before the new CBA will be fully guaranteed, it is a contract between player and organization.

How could they become unguaranteed ?

DD

5. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Does anyone know the actual contract details? Initially it was 4 years/$24 million and now I'm hearing 3 years/$24 million with a team option for the 4th year. Six mil a year was pretty costly but eight mil a year is insane.

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I was very surprised to hear about this as well.

8. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

No, max value is 24 million over 4 years.

It's not 8 million a season.

9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Cool, thanks. It's not my money but I'll sleep better knowing that. :)

10. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Read the links and the bottom one about the owner's proposal.

From this link: http://www.blazersedge.com/2010/2/8/1300493/the-new-cba-a-shotgun-wedding-on

From this link:http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4894018

Until the CBA is finalized this is all hearsay. But David Stern has said the league would lose $400 million this season due to the recession and the owners will most likely make drastic cuts to player compensation to balance things out. Existing contracts and especially 2010 contracts like Lebron's or Lowry's (according to the owners proposal in that ESPN article)included.

As far as a contract not being guaranteed. If you look at NFL contracts things like a career ending injury can cause a team to drop a player and not have to pay some of the contract money. The real money is "guaranteed" like a signing bonus, that they have to pay.

11. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

Great points here on Kyle Lowry's overall game, leebigez.

So much of what the Rockets do now and for the immediate future rests on Yao Ming returning to health and dominance that it's maddening to have to wait and see how Yao looks when he comes back.....

The first game I saw Kyle Lowry play for the Rockets, I thought to myself: "Self, this kid is a bonafide point guard. Haven't seen one of those around here for awhile."

For somebody who'd just stepped off the plane and had just enough time to lace up his sneakers, Lowry fit right into the lineup and game for Houston like a glove. There's something about having a guy that knows how to play that's hard to put a finger on, but you definitely know it when you see it.

In a hypothetical, let's say you have to play Lowry extended periods with Yao, leebigez. Lowry's biggest individual weakness is his suspect outside shooting. In a half-court set, Lowry should then become your fourth option at best.

Here's where you do your homework and get guys that can score on the court with Lowry. Lowry would hypothetically start with Kevin Martin, Trevor Ariza and Luis Scola. Those three players would do much better scoring off Yao Ming than Lowry would. You're not hiding Lowry's inconsistent perimeter shooting, so much as you're balancing it out with the rest of your team.

If Lowry plays with Yao, there is a premium on scoring in transition off a solid defensive possession. The team's defense and rebounding improves quantum leaps with Yao. There's nothing that says that the rest of the team HAS to play to Yao's speed with every possession, especially when they've won on the defensive end. That kind of thinking got the Rockets beaten as often as a drum in a marching band.

Why would you not play to everybody's strengths as often as you could, leebigez? Wasn't the point of the Rockets' season to improve and evolve and diversify their offense? To get some other guys involved? To not only get guys who could play, but actually LET them play once in a while, Yao Ming or no Yao Ming?

You're right, leebigez. Playing Lowry with Yao against good teams would be difficult to get away with presently. But Lowry wouldn't be in a position as often as you think to make perimeter jumpshots off zones and double-teaming of Yao Ming. There are more than a few guys who can score on this team now.

I don't think it's possible to OVERVALUE a guy like Lowry, whose value is directly related to the guys he plays with. Lowry's a stout perimeter defender. An offensive facilitator. Godd ballhandler, passer, decision-maker, and competitor.

Lowry does several things well enough for me, leebigez. And he'd do okay alongside Yao to me. We'll get a chance to see it, too.

I hope.....

12. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

i like how morey matched the offer as quick as he could.

definitely a signal to other teams to back off from scola .."make your offers to luis all u want...but u know how fast we matched lowry and his big deal...so go waste ur time as ur own peril"

13. MadRox

MadRox Member

We'll all think Lowry is worth it when he frustrates DWill,Billup,CP3 on defense come playoff. Backup PG yes he is, but he can do things most starting PG can't...fouling out opposing team's all star PGs :grin:

14. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

According to Feigen, the deal is a four year, $23.5M contract, but the fourth season (at $6.25M) is only partially guaranteed for $1 million.

That's actually BETTER than having a team option. Come 2013, Kyle Lowry is either going to be worth his salary or will be a very nice financial asset. Think a lesser version of Erick Dampier's contract. A team could instantly wipe $6M+ off their books with that deal.

Still, it looks like the first three years (according to Larry Coon, who may not actually have inside information) are for $5.75M apiece.

15. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

I like Lowry, but $6M/year??? I don't know, man, that's really pushing it for a backup PG behind Brooks. I want to keep him, but not for that much money if we can use it for something better later.

16. HtownRocket34

HtownRocket34 Member

I love what Lowry brings to the table - defensive tenacity and ability to get to the free throw line. He's one of my favorite players on the team but I still find it hard to give him that much $. If Lowry had a consistent mid-range/3 point shot I would be comfortable with it but he just doesn't have it. I wonder what we are going to do with AB next year...

17. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Is that the reason teams are spending like drunks? Namely that whatever contracts they now sign will be modified? The players must get something in return because why would they want to modify a contract that is more advantageous to them as currently written.

18. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I guess Gilbert's plan to get a trophy before Lebron has taken a detour. On to plan B Mr G.