1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cavs Sign Kyle Lowry

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ScolaIsBallin, Jul 13, 2010.

?

Should the Rockets match the Cavs offer (4 years, $24 million) for Kyle Lowry?

1. YES

712 vote(s)
    76.6%
  2. NO

217 vote(s)
    23.4%
  1. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

That's why he said, "as long as he agrees".

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

that's alot of money for Kyle, how much do you think Scola is going to get?

3. FoOLiSh_AzN

FoOLiSh_AzN Member

i think its time to let Lowry go...like some ppl said when yao gets back...he will not be as effective because he can not shoot the ball, and has limited range...i'd save that money to resign Scola.

4. Bids9

Bids9 Member

I think you misinterperated my comment, must be cause i speak Australian ;) . I said UNLESS HE AGREE'S as in Lowry. Lowry can be traded but has to give consent which if by him signing an offer sheet to Cleveland would imply that he is willing to play elsewhere to start.

Obviously thats harder that being able to trade him outright but its not out of the question. Especially if Lowry is having a good year and Morey gives him the opportunity to be traded to a team where he WILL become the starting PG.

5. Entropy

Entropy Member

We were struggling well before Landry was traded and Ariza was injured. When Lowry got injured the dip in the rockets was hugely considerable.

6. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Totally disagree with everyone saying Lowry won't be effective because the team will run less because of Yao. The team will get out and run and Yao will be the trailer. Come on people, did the lakers stop running because of an old Jabbar? No. Now I'm mad because you made me use the Lakers as an example :p seriously though, the team will run if the breaks not there they'll set up the halfcourt offense. Match Lowry now

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I like Lowry but there's no way Morey will give him $6 mill a year for 4 years. That's just too much money when Brooks is your starter.

Good luck Kyle Lowry - was great having you as a Rocket. All the best for you losing lots of game in Cleveland.

8. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Varejao got a 6 year/50 million contract.

A little bit overpaid in my opinion for Varejao and I wouldn't be surprised if I see Scola get paid that much.

He's a better player too.

9. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

Damn the Cavs. Was hoping Lebron would stay there too, but now, screw them!!

I REALLY like Lowry. He's a playmaker, plays defense, hustles, and I could see him as a starter on this team. Not sure if he's worth 6 million though.

And while I like Brooks, I am not sure I like my pg having to be one of the primary scorers. I could see Lowry being a better fit for the Rockets.

Lowry/Sessions would be nice.

10. VBG

VBG Member

This is the max I would pay Lowry. So yeah match it.

11. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Brooks' value may be the highest come February it will ever be...Lowry could end up with his starting position after the trade deadline at a fair salary for the next four years.

Meanwhile the MIP and still improving Brooks becomes the centerpiece of blockbuster deal to land Melo at the deadline.

Then we go all in for a championship this year. Can we dream of Landry, Kmart, Melo, Scola, and Yao...vs the Evil Empire in Miami?

Stranger things have happened.

:)

12. RocketDonut

RocketDonut Contributing Member

@Bids9

For some reason I thought you meant traded to the Cavs, my mistake. :)

13. Bids9

Bids9 Member

No worries mate

14. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

Damn, this sucks! I don't want Lowry to go, but matching this contract would be hard for DM ... because he will probably have to match Scola also (pretty soon, I guess). :(

We don't have 'the money', I assume, to resign him (and Scola) ... but if we don't match we don't have a back-up PG (IMO, Lowry is a starting PG) and honestly I think he is one of the best, if not the best back-up PG in the NBA.

15. PeppermintCandy

Morey will match if only to be able to trade him down the road. Lowry's too good to let go for nothing.

16. Asian Sensation

1) Keep Lowry.

2) Sell high on Brooks.

3) Assuming we trade Brooks and we bring in another PG better than Lowry great. If not at least another position will be upgraded significantly in return for Brooks and we can let Lowry start and pick up another backup pg.

By all means we must keep Lowry!

17. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Match! 3yrs at 17M very tradable contract + if we can contend lowry will be needed, and if we can't we'll reduce luxury tax payments via trading jefferies, Andersen and battier.

If lowry was the only RFA, morey would decide now (already know what they're willing to pay him) but in this case morey will probably keep silent for the full 7 days until making the decision public. This is to let Nets and other Scola suitors know not to waste precious time that could be spent signing other FA on our RFA.

I think morey is willing to pay for players that can make a difference. And the only backup PG on the mkt that can make a difference is Lowry. Worst case, in two years time lowry becomes an expiring contract and Llull is ready for the NBA.

18. Mashing

Mashing Member

You have to match that offer. Lowry is just too important to our 2nd unit.

19. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

You first have to decide if you think the Rockets have a legitimate chance to contend for a NBA title in 2 years. If you think the answer is yes, you have to match this contract.

If you do not, then you have to have to weigh multiple things...

Lowry is much, much better than any of the next options at back up PG. He may be overpaid as a backup but, if you are looking to use whatever players we currently have as trade chips, then keeping him allows you to trade either Brooks. If not, then you really cannot trade Brooks because you have a huge hole at the PG position.

As much as we like Aaron Brooks, it is a good relief to not have to rely on him to play 35+ minutes a game. When is hot and playing well, then of course you let him play that much. But having another PG that can give you 20-30 minutes a game, complement Brooks, and keep him fresh all year is a blessing. Honestly, the Rockets have horrible luck with injuries, particularly with PG's, so it makes sense to resign Lowry.

Lastly, the contract is not that bad. It is 3 year at $6 mill a year with a team option for a 4th year. In a worst case scenario, Lowry is a very expensive back up PG for 2 years (right now 2 years during which we expect to compete and potentially be a contender), and then be an expiring contract his last year. Plus, if he is still playing well, the team he would be traded to can choose to keep him for another year or let him go. That is nice trade chip at 2012-13 trade deadline.

The bad though is two fold. First, Brooks will be RFA next year, which means if Lowry gets $6 mill, you know Brooks will command much more than that. Since he would be a RFA, and there do not seem to be many teams with cap space next year (as opposed to this year), the Rockets could wait it out and match an offer that is less. I would not count on that though.

The other thing to consider is that there will be a new CBA as of next year. This will mean whatever restrictions on max salary cap, max contracts, exceptions, etc will affect us and Lowry will still being paid $6 mill as a back up PG. Yes I did mention, that it should not handicuff the Rockets too much, but no one knows what the terms of that CBA will be, so one has to assume that it could put the Rockets in a bind the next two off seasons.

The silver lining to last issue (more so for Les) is that there seems to be a consensus of a lock out next year, which would mean that for Lowry's second season, he would not make his full salary (as I understand it, though I could be wrong.). That would save some money, but it would not change the salary cap situation in any way.

20. robroy77

robroy77 Contributing Member

What is the infatuation with Sessions on Clutchfans? He is that guy that gets mentioned all the time, just like Maggette use to! He's good, but I just dont understand the appeal! Sometimes you got to pay a little more to have that quality backup to keep the ship moving if Brooks gets nicked up.