1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cavs: Anderson Varejao deal is close (UPDATE : Deal Done)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Stevierebel, Jul 7, 2009.

Tags:
  1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Once again Twitter beats any other source to the information?

On topic, this contract is beyond absurd.

2. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Don't these players realize that their cronyism hampers their team's from making other moves to help them in the future?

Regardless, Danny Ferry is the worst GM in basketball.

3. moali85

moali85 Member

he is essentially getting a $1mil raise a year...not really absurd to me

4. TheShooter

TheShooter Member

The salary is maybe okay (not okay for me) but the contract is way too long for a player like Varajeao.

5. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

ehh....I don't blame the players for much in situations like this. A players' job is to be productive when he's on the court, that's it...and I'd say Lebron is doing that very well. If Ferry was doing HIS job right he could fire (not resign) any employee (player) he wanted and Lebron would be right behind him. Ultimately Lebron wants to be part of a great team, he only clung to Varajao because he feared that his GM wasn't competent enough to find a good enough replacement.

6. meh

meh Contributing Member

This sort of stuff just doesn't work. If there's no line between GM/Coach/Player, then you have a horribly managed team. If Ferry is the stupidest GM in the world, Lebron should ask the Cavs owner to fire Ferry, not telling Ferry what to do with personnel decisions.

7. RocketJoe

RocketJoe Contributing Member

6 yrs 50 million.
    Danny Ferry is on crack.

Why wouldn't they throw that kind of money at Odom? LO is looking for about 10 million a year.
    He is the type of four they need to matchup with Rashard. Varejao is too limited offensively to make Lewis play D on the other end.

8. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

What if the owner doesn't agree? Lebron has to live with the animosity between them for however long he is on the team.

Lebron is just an employee, and a great asset to the company. If his team is in the Finals next year he's happy even if that means the GM didn't sign some of his buddies. Stars lobby for other players all the time, and GM's ignore them all the time. I think Mcgrady was pushing for us to get Rodney Carney in the 2006 draft, boy would that have been a disaster.

If anything, Ferry will probably use Lebron as an excuse for his inability to piece together a great team. I really wouldn't be surprised, I think that's protocol when a team loses a great player.

9. ArtisGilmore

ArtisGilmore Member

I think the Cavs should have gone after McDyess for the MLE. Maybe they did and were refused. McDyess is still a very good defender and can shoot the midrange jump shot very well, unlike Varejao who can't shoot. He would fit well next to Shaq at PF.

I can't imagine how Varejao is worth this much money. He has little offensive skill, his main skill on defense is flopping, and doesn't have the size to play center, which is where he's best suited.

10. moali85

moali85 Member

contract is potentially worth up to $50mil

11. meh

meh Contributing Member

If the owner doesn't agree with the Lebron, he can simply tell the Cavs to go screw themselves, and demand a trade. If no trade's coming, he'll simply leave the team via FA.

It is BECAUSE he's an employee that Lebron shouldn't be involved in personnel decisions. Yes, players lobby management all the time, but there's a lot of indication that Lebron tries to use his "I'll leave if you don't get/keep player xxx for me" crap. Which is way over the line unless Lebron becomes player/GM or something.

12. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

How the heck is that "way over the line"? EVERY player/employee has that leverage. He can say whatever the heck he wants, he's still under contract for this next year. When he becomes a free agent, the cavs can pay him the most money and he is free to choose his next employer.

Lebron IS NOT involved in any personnel decisions. He has NO authority within the Cavaliers organization. All he can do, as any employee, is take his talent elsewhere...and he's out of line for making it clear that he can do that??? If anything, he's doing them a favor by showing Ferry what will keep him around. He could just stay quiet and bolt next season.

It'll be really sick if this cavs team doesn't workout, Lebron leaves, and they try to pin all the blame on him...sick. He has more than done his job for the organization, and anyone who says otherwise is an idiot.

13. Shaud

Shaud Member

Varejao needs to make as much money as he can. I can't blame him. He can't depend on endorsement money like LeBron can or another superstar player can.

14. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

That might be worst overpaying of a big man since the summer of Calvin Booth and Jim McIlvane. At least I think that was in the same summer.

15. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

Indeed ... bad move Cavs! Damn, so much wasted money!

16. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Overpaid for him. A better player than people here are giving him credit for, but that is a lot of money for a role player without star potential. Cleveland may not have the money to throw max dollars on both Lebron and another star next offseason like they could have before this deal.

17. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Ericka Dampier?

18. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Everyone on Around the Horn thinks this is a good pickup. Their reasoning: Varejao's defense, and it shows LBJ that they are wanting to invest on keeping their core for the long run.

I hope it inflates his ego enough to resume attempting buzzer beaters, preferedly in big games.

19. dragonz

dragonz Member

good, Cavs taking back their own garbage.
    Yahoo Sports Link

That just made me throw up. When I hear "wild thing", I am thinking about Denise Richards and Neve Campbell.

20. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I remember reading about how when Mike Brown first entered the scene, he said to LBJ that if there was going to be any trouble, he knew that it would be himself (Brown) that would be the first to go. I think its entirely possible that Lebron wielded the influence to have their GM fired. That window probably has passed.