1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Caution... Morey's Biggest Calamities

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CincyRocket, Feb 22, 2013.

1. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Patrick Patterson and Thomas Robinson are averaging the same number of rebounds...Only T-Rob is getting 10 mins less per game!!

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

There is nothing wrong with what Morey did here, or in any of those other deals, he is tasked with trying to make the team better, and is taking some shots/risks at doing that.

The chances of TRob being that guy that is a difference maker are not good, but that doesn't mean you don't take the chance.

Especially when you have 5 or 6 guys that are NBA rotation players at the same position - can't play them all you know.

We will miss PPat though, guys who shoot that well at the PF position are not all that common, his 15 footer was money.

DD

3. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

did you really just wiki the 2009 draft and list every decent player you came across.. im talking bout the lotto, most notably 1-10. harden and griffin became franchise players, curry is a standout.. but thats it, several busts and a couple guys that have fallen off the planet, like tyreke & jennings.

4. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

well have gave up on Marcus Morris as well after 2 seasons for a 2nd rounder. Lots of draft picks end up busting, and, Robinson has looked like a bust this season. Most of you would also agree had he not been traded to the Rockets.

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

LOL first of all, learn the meaning of "calamity"...it's supposed to be some kind of earth shaking disaster.

As other posters have already said, giviing up PP and TD isn't exactly a calamity...this is the definition of low risk high reward. Same thing with Thabeet and T-will, those were all low risk high reward moves. Morey isn't dumb, he didn't think Thabeet would be Mutombo 2.0 when we got him. But the price to get him wasn't that high, so you roll the dice and if the prospect becomes a bust then you didn't give up anything of value.

LOW RISK is as far from "Calamity" as you can get.

6. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

You wanna fire Morey anyway so who cares.

7. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I remember a certain board groaning for weeks and weeks over a certain third string PG we picked up...
    [​IMG]

8. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

even when a player doesn't work out he corrects his minstakes promptly.

i'm not worried. in morey we trust

9. Akim523

Akim523 Member

You actually think Morey were really high on those players?

no.

10. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Morris looked like a HUGE bust last year, when he didn't even play in the NBA but three minutes or so. But the Rockets didn't immediately give up on him after four months, and guess what-- he became a rotation player. And Morris was, what, the 14th pick? Robinson went in the top 5. He'll get his shot with a real team now, and if he sucks, he'll get dealt just like Morris.

11. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

And yeah book it. Rob is gonna pan out. Kings are too stacks at PF to develop a rookie and I'm confident in putting the odds on the side of Morey.

12. Akim523

Akim523 Member

haha nice find.

13. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Williams was the only whiff that was really bad, and even that was only a protected draft pick.

I've been ready to punt Patterson and Morris ever since June/July. Morey finally did so and came away with cap space, a second rounder, and a guy that at worst should be a bulldog rebounder and fast break target and at best could be a nice starter.

I don't get the contingent that are determined to bash him as a bust. At this point last year, was Morris even seeing court time? Patterson was a 4pt, 3 rebound nobody at this juncture his rookie year (13 mpg). Robinson's got promise that those two never had and never were going to find. And even if he doesn't work out, we've opened up the door for Smith, Motiejunas, and Jones to win the position. And if THEY don't get it done? We snatch Josh Smith at a "discount" max deal in the summer.

Some of you "fans" need to enjoy the good side of things instead of holding on so tight to any perceived downsides.

14. CincyRocket

CincyRocket Member

In response to a few replies:

1) I coincede that calamity is a bit strong for taking a chance on a player with upside. I also agree that flipping said players in future deals mitigates the downside as well. That said, a bust is still a bust. J. Hill, Thabeet, J. Flynn, Terrence Williams, etc...were busts. Potential doesn't count for anything after it doesn't pan out.

2) The point of the thread wasn't so much to decide whether it will work out or won't for Robinson (again I like the deal)... I just thought the following was worth discussing: Is one of Morey's biggest weaknesses overvalueing players that had high draft potential but turned out to be busts in there rookie/sophmore campaigns

- Terrence Williams was traded for a first round pick.
    - Thabeet was traded for Battier (I realize he wasn't in our long term plans, but we did trade him to a divisional opponent who beat us out of the 8th spot in the playoffs that year in no small part do to the addition).

3) Again, so far Morey is at least 0/3 in these types of moves.... You can take as many quality shots as you want, but unless a few of them go in it doesn't count for much.

15. Classic

Classic Member

I don't get the complaint here.

Why not trust the coaches that we have the players to fill whatever you want to assume is the void being left by PP.

We play our best with Parsons at the 4. Dontas & TJ need some PT to develop to become contributors or chips later. We picked up who I believe to be a solid player in FGarcia & a low cost high reward in Robinson.

What is not to like??? You could always cheer for the Suns.

16. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Ok

I get Williams and Thabeet

but where is the third you are talking about?

Hill? I seem to recall he and his inconsistent motor are doing a decent job for LA off the bench. He is no star and not even really a good starter, but as a big off the bench he is passable. COnsidering he was a throwin in the Mcgrady trade and we got something for him, shouldnt go down as a fail

I guess you could count him as a bust if you expected stardom from him(Which I never did, too lackadaisical on the court for my tastes)

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

People need to stop underrating Robinson because of his draft position and situation with the Kings.

He fell to #5. He's no Jordan Hill. Look at his game log and you'll see he can put up numbers, especially rebounding, but his minutes were very inconsistent, which isn't surprising on that team.

We've never traded for this kind of pick before. Not Thabeet, not williams, not Hill. The odds of Robinson working out are much higher.

18. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Show me a GM that gets it right every time.

19. Rockets25

Rockets25 Member

Robinson is athletic but he's not very good with the ball in his hands. Hopefully that can change while he's a Rocket but I doubt it.

20. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

why would you use thabeet or hill as examples of Morey mistakes? those were pretty much throw-ins. Also, for a throw-in, Hill was pretty good (I thought the was a good pick up). Robinson is the center piece of this trade.