1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Cato not going to be on the playoff roster?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rhadamanthus, Apr 16, 2004.

1. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Well... yes. Doesn't it take like three votes to get a thread rated? And I got a 1 for bringing this up? I didn't expect any special credit or anything -- after all, it was in the paper. I only posted it because nobody was talking about it. But I certainly didn't expect a 1. I almost never start GARM threads. So, yeah. A little.

2. verse

verse Contributing Member

i just saw the playoff rosters. cato is on it. adrian griffin is not.

3. Batman Jones

Great news. Thanks for the report, verse. (Is there a link?)

Now let's just hope he gets off the bench and that his head's right. That's always the biggest concern when it comes to KC.

4. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Well I just found your thread and gave it a five.

5. sup123

sup123 Member

cato who? ;)

6. Batman Jones

Thanks, buddy. It's so not a big deal, but when I saw the one I thought, wow, at least three people think this is one of the worst threads on the BBS. Just didn't make sense.

7. verse

playoff rosters for all teams

8. fa7999

fa7999 Member

THis is our secret weapon: Cato's outside jumper will be the difference maker in the Lakers-Rockets series. You hear it here first.;)

9. verse

if cato has more FGAs than fouls, i guarantee you we will lose....

kelvin cato must become charles jones.

10. Batman Jones

I miss old Charles. I still remember that brief but golden era when he led our team in FG%. He was 1-1.

11. verse

charles jones, for his career, had more personal fouls than points. his hackroid factor was off the charts...

12. DLev

DLev Member

No kidding. He gave this team a spark when he came back off the DL. We are a completely different team without him. He helps Stevie because every time Stevie drives he can either try and make a shot or toss it up to Cato. His defense is good and quite frankly we're gonna need his six fouls if nothing else. He should be starting. It's ridiculous for him to have been benched at the end of the season for any other reason besides health.

13. verse

the reason that makes the most sense to me is that JVG was resting cato's injured shoulder.

14. Batman Jones

Anything make sense about JVG saying it wasn't injury related and that he was going to keep the matter "internal?" Maybe he was trying to hide Cato's injury from Phil Jackson for some kind of voodoo advantage?

15. paxil

paxil Contributing Member

We need Cato. But Padegtt should start in PF.

1. Cato can back up Yao's minutes or play side by side with Yao when Yao is in foul trouble so he can gaurd Shaq, though gaurding malone is not an easier task either

2. KM settle for more outside jump shots than power move right now. Paddget has been with Utah for 3 years and should know better than everyone else how to guard Malone (he probably did a lot in practice with Malone).

3. Paddget is mobile enough to defense KM on the perimeter. Parking Paddget on the 3 point arch will disallow Malone to double team. Malone is very good at stripping ball down under he usually won't get call for his foul. If Laker is going to double team Yao (depends on Yao's hotness and Shaq's ego), the help will come from Malone.

4. Yao needs to take more 15 footers, if he can take 8 shots and make more than half of them, we can win the game, just like what Camby did to him. It is not about the 8 points that Yao is going to score from the outside; it is about how to open the lane for the guards. Yao can not grab an offensive rebound anyway.

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Here's my theory:

Cato had chronic depression problem. That's why he seemed so lazy and unmotivated. But that problem somehow went away after his grandma died and came back to become the backup behind Yao. There was an article about him taking responsibility of fixing his mood problem and his teammates were helping him.

Ever since then, Cato had been a different player. He turned over the honor of being the most ridiculed player on CC.net to Moochie Norris. People actually started praising his effort on the court, which had been unheard of before.

Now, could it be that Cato has reverted back to his depression problem? Is that why his performance dropped lately? Could it be some personal problem that triggered it? Is that why JVG is reluctant to talk about it because it's Cato's person issue?

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Feishen, I don't like your theory on Cato. The way you say Cato should be -- staying near the rim and grabbing boards and not shooting -- is what he was doing successfully for Rudy T last year. Why would he department from that winning formula willingly this year?

18. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

grabbing oops from Stevie

19. Batman Jones

These were the same kinds of things I was worried about which is why I started that other thread. Cato rises and falls according to his attitude, which rises and falls according to his mood issues. I think JVG's praise early in the season really helped Cato out. I worried when there was a problem that VG's harsh, critical style might be resulting in a turn around there. He may well have been resting Cato for health issues, but I seriously doubt they were physical health issues.

20. We're Back

We're Back Member

Dopn't usually post, but I was in the press conference when Van Gundy was asked about Cato. He was asked if Cato would be getting playing time in the playoffs, not if he would make the roster. This writer is just trying to spice it up a bit I think.