1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Cato: No playoffs, team may be broken up

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Chuck Nevitt, Oct 24, 2002.

1. akuma

akuma Member

i'm just glad i have a glass.

2. drexler22

drexler22 Member

Cato has always sucked. The reason he is being bashed isn't because of what he said, it's more of a track record. He has sucked and been injury prone since he's been here. He doesn't get boards, he has very few blocks, he can't shoot the ball standing under the net or anywhere else, and he fouls when he tries to make something happen. I hope and pray he's on his way out. Maybe that'll limit some of the turn overs. Mo Taylor has shown about as much promise as well. He better get his mug in the game or he'll be playing ball in Italy.:p

3. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Cato seems like a new man. Many, many threads ago we talked about how he might have been depressed. Maybe he is taking a medication or something, but he certainly has changed his attitude. I like his new attitude, the fact the fact that he has written children's books, and is an intelligent man.

As far as his athletic ability. It is a sad case. The absolute worst hands in the League. A subtle lack of coordination, but not as bad as Dan Langhi who had the same problem. If he wasn't 6'11, fast , quick and strong he wouldn't have even be considered to be a basketball player. I bet 80% of the people on this bbs can catch a ball better than him and that includes those who haven't played much basketball.

For about a year or so Cato has given a good effort. Go kick the dog if you're personally frustrated. Lay off Kelvin Cato!!!!!

4. Thanos

Thanos Member

indeed.

And as it was already mentioned, every team needs role players, and clearly defined roles. With so much uncertainty over minutes and potential problems sharing those minutes, specially when it comes to the frontcourt, Cato's willingness to take a backup role suits me just fine.

Surely we may have payed a lot for a backup, but when you look at the contracts guys like Macculloch, Booth, James and so on got, we didn't pay that much after all.

And someone please come up with Cato's averages if he played 40 minutes per game last season.

I'm sure some people are going to be surprised.

#24 Thanos, Oct 24, 2002
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2002
  5. Toast

Toast Member

He sure is the highest paid role player I can think of, though. Hence, the bashing.

Personally, I still have faith in Cato. I think his big body's gonna be quite an asset vs. Shaq.

6. Khal80

Khal80 Contributing Member

Cato best backup...i dont think so...rather have magloire...but liked what cato has been TALKING about this preseason, if he backs it up then we will all be happy

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Many people here need that medication too.

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

This is like an employee at a coorporation that sees the road that lies ahead. I wouldn't give him too much grief...

9. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Griff WILL STAY! Who else will play defense? :)

10. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

"As BobFinn* places glass on desk to make a point, DavidS picks up glass and
    drinks water."

Thanks Bob! That was refreshing! :D

11. Shotcaller

Shotcaller Member

has to go if we dont winth is season: Cato * if at all possable*,either thomas or Taylor, and Rice of course

12. harumph

harumph Member

How about Allan Houston? :D

13. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Actually he gets 7 rebounds and 1.25 blocks in only 25 minutes per game, he led the NBA in FG%, and he averaged less than 3 fouls per game. Other than that, this seems like a pretty good description of him. :p

14. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

Slap yourself for me. Rice must stay. Besides, Rice is Yao Ming's favorite... ;)

Hey, Steve has his... CAT :D

15. Allstarmobley

Allstarmobley Member

I think Yao Ming and Cato will be tight because they play the same position. Cato might be able to teach Yao a thing or two.