1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cato and Walt are Not Overpaid

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheFreak, Aug 17, 2000.

Tags:
  1. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Peja Stojakovic now makes more than Cato. He just signed a 6 year 45 million dollar deal with the Kings. Stojakovic is earning more than Cato, Mobley, and the Wizard. The Wizard's deal even looks good compared to this signing. The average salary in the league is approaching 4.5 million. I'd say the Wizard qualifies as average.

Stojakovic gets a rich new deal

------------------
    Metal Sludge

2. RocketExpert

RocketExpert Member

Peja deserves the money. That dude can shoot! He would be a perfect defense stretching Rocket, imo.

Walt is not part of our future, so his salary needs to go asap, but only if we can get something in return. There must be a decent big man out there that we can trade Walt and Drew for.

------------------
    -The expert has spoken, so shut up and try to comprehend the truth.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Peja is nothing compared to Langhi, you watch.....LANGHI will be HUGE !!!

DaDakota

------------------

4. ROCKET RY

ROCKET RY Contributing Member

I'm really sick of everyone talking trash about walt and sticking him in rumored trade packages. He is extremely important in the rockets future. Do ya'll realize that with Hakeem leaving we will have no veteran players on our team. We need him as a voice for our young players. He is a strong player and a lot of the youngins look up to him and repect him a lot. If you've noticed when steve and mobley among others have stated why they are excited about our future, its because walt is going to be a part of that. WE DO NOT NEED TO GET RID OF WALT.HE IS AN IMPORTANT PART OF THIS TEAM, and without him we have no veteran leadership on this team......WHICH WE NEED. WIZ IS THE MAN!!!!!

------------------

5. New Jack

New Jack Member

Dammit, Stojakovic was the guy I really wanted the rockets to go after next off season. He's a great shooter that I thought would have been perfect for the rockets run and gun style. He would have been the 4th best free agent available in 2001 after Webber, Finley, and Mutombo. He definitely could end up being worth the contract he got.

Also, it's Predrag not Peja

------------------
    You ain't gotta like me, you just mad cause I tell it how it is, and you tell it how it might be.

[This message has been edited by New Jack (edited August 17, 2000).]

6. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

How 'bout a Drew + Wiz + Bullard for Peja trade? [​IMG]

------------------
    In order to be a success in life, you need 2 things:
    1. Don't tell everything you know.

7. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

SO how does another mistake of overpaying a decent player justify our mistake of paying Cato for a great pre-season game. As soon as the NBA average salary for a backup center becomes 6 million then you have a point. Cato is overpaid.
    There are exceptions out there like the Jazz overpaid Osterfat, but I would honestly rather have Pig at a low salary, just because he plays hard, than Kelvin, I got a paycheck so I don't have to play hard anymore, Cato.

------------------

8. TB3

TB3 Member

If Langhi is better than Peja, then Dan will be steal of the entire draft.

------------------
    “During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet.” (Al Gore, CNN’s “Late Edition with Wolf Blitzer,” 3/9/99)

www.algore-2000.org

9. TB3

TB3 Member

Also, for those of you who think Cato is overpaid- try to name 10 NBA centers that are better than Kelvin.

------------------
    “During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet.” (Al Gore, CNN’s “Late Edition with Wolf Blitzer,” 3/9/99)

www.algore-2000.org

10. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

1. Shaq
    2. Mourning
    3. Robinson
    4. Duncan
    5. Ewing
    7. Sabonis
    8. Mutumbo
    9. Divac
    10. Camby
    11. Dream
    ------------------
    In order to be a success in life, you need 2 things:
    1. Don't tell everything you know.

[This message has been edited by BobFinn* (edited August 17, 2000).]

11. TB3

TB3 Member

No way, imo, are Ewing and Camby better than Kelvin. Also, Duncan is a power forward (who is much better than Kelvin). Sabonis has one year left probably.

The point here is that Cato is arguably a top 10 center, and he is NOT overpaid.

------------------

www.algore-2000.org

12. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

I'd bet the ranch that Langhi will be better than Peja. It may take some time, but it is not often you get a 6'11" shooter who is mobile and can handle the ball.

Langhi was the steal of this draft!

------------------
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

13. TheFreak

You're only overpaid if you make much more than your peers. That is the only way you measure it. You cannot say someone is overpaid without comparing his salary to others in the league. I didn't just list Stojakovic's salary, the average salary was also mentioned. Again, Cato and Walt are not overpaid. When comparing salaries across the league, there is no room for opinion on the matter.

------------------
    Metal Sludge

14. TheFreak

Bob -- If I had to have a center for an entire season, I'd take Cato over Ewing, Sabonis, Camby, Olajuwon, and Divac. Oh, and Duncan's not a center. Quit cheating. Cato makes the top 5 on your list.

------------------
    Metal Sludge

15. playahata

playahata Member

If you think Cato is better right now than Vlade....you should quit smoking the yellow dope.

------------------

16. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Cato a top ten center???? I honestly do not think so.

Zo
    Shaq
    Admiral
    Smits
    Mutombo
    Divac
    Ewing (YES, he is still better than Kelvin)
    Horace Grant
    Ilgauskas
    Hakeem
    McDyess (he starts at C doesn't he?)
    Sabonis (with the bad wheel and all!)

Then there are players that play PF and C interchangeably that are better players than Kelvin like Elden Campbell, Joe Smith, Tim Duncan, Antonio Davis....and so on.

Kelvin definitely has the potential to crack the top 10 or even become a premier center. But he is not there yet.

------------------

[This message has been edited by HOOP-T (edited August 17, 2000).]

17. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

You are right Haven, it is hard to say Langhi will be as good as Peja. It was merely my opinion based on what I have seen of him in college and the summer leagues. I do think he will be a very serviceable player for years to come.

By the way, how can a prediction be premature? I didn't think you could predict something too early!?!? [​IMG]

------------------

18. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

In a year or two, I predict Langhi will be far better than Peja. If langhi will add few more pounds and he will have a lot of monster game, consider for a small forward.Whew!!!That's dangerous!

------------------
    Rudy T. will find and fulfill Rockets destiny.

19. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

uhh, with the lack of talented big men out there, just because you are a "top ten" center doesn't mean you are that good.

I think I would rather have a top ten PF or SF.

------------------
    I am so exasperated that I could expectorate.

20. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

No way is Cato a top 10 center. I even saw someone mention somewhere else that he was the third best center in Portland (Sabonis & the kid) and it could be argued that even though Wallace and Grant are PFs that they are better centers than Cato. So if Cato is a top 10 center then Portland has 4 of the top 10.
    We all hope Cato can be a top 10 center, he has the ability to possibly, but bottom line is he is no where near the top 10.
    And for one season I would still rather have an old Ewing, Dream or Sabonis over Cato.

------------------