1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

'Catching hell' ESPN 30 for 30

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Coach AI, Sep 27, 2011.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Him sitting there with that despondent, guilty, "I just peed on the rug and I hope no one notices" look on his face, combined with Alou completely flipping his s*** were a really bad combination. Not a whole hell of a lot Bartman could've done, but maybe if he had shown some kind of frustration or demonstrative "crap I can't believe I did that" type of disgust or anger people might not haven't gone so ape on him.

It was a perfect storm of fail, and Icehouse hit the nail on the head... both the Cubs as a team and their fans proved to be mental midgets the way they handled that.

2. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I think it could have also gone without the Buckner stuff, but that's what the filmmaker was aiming for.

He was a guest on Bill Simmons' B.S. Report podcast the other day and he said that the movie was ultimately about Bartman, but the larger theme was sports scapegoats and what they go through as such.

3. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I watched it and enjoyed it. I feel for Bartman and agree with others that the Cubs and their fans are complete losers for having that type of mentality. Alex Gonzalez was the bigger loser, IMO, than Bartman was.

4. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

Steve Bartman, LOL.

It was funny watching that female security guard start to choke up and cry. Sheez the fella didn't die or anything, way to be over dramatic.

It's funny that he turned down multiple advertising opportunities. Dude could have made thousands.

5. Shaud

Shaud Member

If you think a game is over because you didn't catch a foul ball then you shouldn't win the game anyway. Silly to blame Bartman and say that changed the momentum.

6. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

I've decided people here like to disagree about anything.

I can point to countless NFL,NBA, and MLB where a single play ( and that is what it was despite Bartman not being a player) turns the tide and momentum switches the other way. Do you remember the play that changed mcgradys rocket career? There are plenty of single plays that can define/ change the momentum of a game. Not sure what reality you are living in.

When watching that game (and hence why they made a damn video about it) it was bartmans 'play' that changed the mood ,and atmosphere of the whole game. From that point forward in the game it was over in terms of momentum. If they just could have gotten that out.As a fan it was crazy to see one play unravel a team but that is exactly what happened.

7. Shaud

Shaud Member

It was a foul ball so it's not like runners advanced or anything like that or it allowed Florida to score on that play. If he did this in fair territory and a runner advanced to the next base or scored then I'd agree.

But considering an easy double play ball by Alex Gonzalez was messed up by Gonzalez I fail to see why all the blame all of a sudden went to Bartman. No way should a foul ball being caught by a fan lead to a team and fanbase feeling like the game was over at that point.

The Steve Bartman scapegoat thing is the most overblown story in sports history

1 person likes this.
  8. ths balla

ths balla Member

anywhere to watch it online? thanks

9. Daedalus

Daedalus Member

10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

There's a video about it, because Cubs fans are whiny little babies who would rather blame one of their own rather than the guys that were on the field. If the players feel defeated by not catching a foul ball that was in the stands, that would have taken a very good play by Alou to do, then they weren't winning that game anyway. If Alou doesn't react like a little baby, nobody even notices.

11. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Cubs fan. Stopped there - no other explanation needed about their complete suckitude.

Alex Gonzalez = all time punk

Mosies Alou = urinating on his own hands.

12. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Poor kid.

Love seeing the Cubs FAIL...as always.

13. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

because it was one play that changed the momentum of the game.

Why is this so hard to accept?

14. Shaud

Shaud Member

Alex Gonzalez bobbling the easy double play changed the momentum more than the Bartman thing did.

How is that hard to see?

15. Ming Dynasty

Ming Dynasty Member

Steve has a professional career, I know... yes, there were a few one-time gag opportunities available to him, but I applaud his dignity.

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I think if people saw a complete replay of the inning, they might get it. My heart (as a Cubs fan at the time), didn't sink until Gonzalez' error. That's when I knew it was time to gouge my eyes out.

17. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

because you are the 1% that brings up alex gonzalez, and that happened AFTER the bartman play. Go ahead and pat yourself on the back for 'knowing baseball more than the other guy' I'm just calling it like the rest of the world that the single play where they didn't get an out ( outs are pretty important right?) was the single play momentum swing that turned the tide and that was by bartman. I mean how many freaking fans names do you know?

I don't even remember Alex gonzalez bobbling because that was after the fact once the die had been cast by bartman. Once bartman did that they could have moved the fences in and brought harry caray back from the dead , they were not going to freaking win. It was over.

You seem like a smart guy so you should be able to understand BEFORE and AFTER.

bartman play - BEFORE
    everything after Bartman play(total collapse) - AFTER

sometimes one play can change the momentum and clearly this was the play.. I hope you can live with that.

18. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

The freak play by Bartman jinxed Gonzalez into bobbling that ball. Can't be move obvious.

19. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

so you believe in magic?

20. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

ok...lets say the bartman play was what changed the momentum of the game. heres an idea...go out and win game 7! cubs fans will blame anything on anyone/anything else besides the team itself. for instance, "curse of the billy goat" LOL

#60 FlyerFanatic, Sep 29, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2011