1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cat says Rigadeau is "Garbage"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MC Welk, Jan 23, 2003.

1. a la rockets

a la rockets Contributing Member

that Garbage remarke remarke wasn't the only classless one.
    That thing about US players sounded weird.I somewhat feel offended about talking like that about my fellow countrymen.

ALA

2. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Oh yeah, Frenchie went 0-1 with a turnover and two personal fouls in seven minutes against Philly last night...If he keeps getting those minutes, he won't even attain the level of garbage...waste paper basket, maybe??

3. T-man

T-man Member

Basketball is entertainment. When did everyone become so sensitive and expect everything to be pollitically correct? Rivalries are built on people mocking, trashtalking and doing all they can to get under the opponents skin. Do you think the Rockets-Lakers game would have been half as exciting or even hyped if it was not for Shaq ragging on Yao? It just would have been another game. This is what makes sports fun. Calling another player "garbage" is very minor, that was common 10 years ago. It is not racist or classless, it is entertainment. Now if this guy can get in the game next time we play it adds a little excitement, it creates bad blood, which creates ggod games.

4. carayip

carayip Member

The most offensive part is that there are actually people here who defended those classless remarks.

5. a la rockets

Maybe i going to sound repetitive but u can't judge Rigaudeau with only 1 game aspecially with what his been through(trip,jetlag...) and the style of game in the NBA.
    But just like Nellie said:"he's too experienced to not succeed in the NBA".

ALA

BTW Cat lost my respect...i think i'm going to start yet another "let tread Cat" thread!

6. dragon167

dragon167 Contributing Member

Hi,

Can someone please tell me the source of the original post? I cant see any related thread in mav forums. Thanks

Dragon

7. carayip

carayip Member

8. dragon167

dragon167 Contributing Member

9. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

This is an even more terrible argument. One of the worst ever. So in essence your saying that Yao never deserved those types of ignoramous comments because he was a number one pick? Or is it the one or two World games that Yao played decently in. Does this mean that Pervis Ellison has a lifetime pass to being labeled garbage, because he was a number one pick...who won the NCAA title? Terrible terrible argument. Yeah, because Number one picks do not ever deserve to be labeled busts.

By the way...the reason those guys didnt talk crap about Yao (who didnt have two great games against the US) is that those guys had choosen to be classy, something obviously Cuttino didn't have.

#129 Dreamshake, Jan 24, 2003
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2003
  10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

"telling the truth about my feelings"

dude, please 'splain that one to me. If you want to explain to me what you mean that I'm not being true to my feelings, then I'll explain my feelings about the article, my take, and your take on what take I should have. If you don't want to explain what you mean by me not telling the truth, then we have no more discussion...cause you are just being an annoying knowitall who tells people what they are really thinking to make his argument.

btw: you are so far off from understanding my "true feelings," and you don't seem to want to acknowledge that someone can think about things on a level that you don't comprehend, so you just pull everyone around you into nice tight little boxes for your narrow experience to understand.

11. heypartner

Finally, someone else sees that Mobley, whether he meant to or not, dissed all American ballplayers. I think it is rather ironic and humorous.

12. heypartner

dude, you continuously pull back from entirely ordinary BBall arguments with personal insults everytime you "argue with heypartner."

Why do you do that? btw: I've had it with your childish retreats that are merely swatting at the air. Off you go to my ignore list with all the other people who get childish arguing about a sport. Thank you for playing.

:p

13. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Damn!! You must have one HUGE ignore list by now...;)

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Cool it, HP. That last paragraph of mine was a sarcastic joke about the pigeonhole thing you put on me. (See that little smilie at the end?) I have no knowledge of your feelings. I do have the habit of trying to clarify the logic of people's arguments. Is that fair?

15. heypartner

Rockets2K,

It's big. And I wish more people would put me on their Ignore List, too, to help them control their addiction to posting useless, unanswered stalker jabs around here.

Easy,

that's cool. I missed the sarcasm. Maybe...just maybe...it is because you repeated several times what people should be discussing in this thread, and your continued insistence that alternate subtopics are not valid or overstated has not subsided...smiley or not.

Surely, your logic can accept that others do think differently than you, to the point of you (or any of us) being incapable of doing justice to 'splaining their interests/logic.

<blockquote><hr>Originally posted by Cohen
    So that's a good reason to trash a player who's played 1 game here?

Cats comment lacked class (as did Rockets03), and no additional analysis from heyp about Euro players is required.
    <hr></blockquote>
    Cohen,

give me a read....you did call me out, right?

You are right; you do not need to pay attention to my posts in this thread to know Cats comments lacked class. But allow me to be right, that there still remain other interesting discussion surrounding the journalist question. I mean, the journalist would have still printed Cat's/Nach's comments -- gracious or not -- wouldn't he. The main issue is scouting Rigaudeau, and it unfortunately got lost here, and maybe we should move this to the NBA Dish Rigaudeau thread. I am interested in Cat and Nach's responses, because I am interested in offering my own. There's a difference between defending smack and glossing over the smack to discuss the underlying scouting question. I am guilty of glossing over the smack. My interest is in scouting the new "find" by Nellie. I watched that game with great expectation. I like games where you get to scout new players, and Nachbar got 17 minutes, too. Every game has cool things to watch, and Rig/Nach was cool to watch.

Now, people can laugh at me for my early scouting of Ginobili's WC games and his Euro videos as showing indications of dribbling and shooting inadequacies for a ROY candidate. You can laugh at people's early scouting of his first NBA games in that Ginobili sucks thread someone posted in November. Also laugh at people's early scouting of Rigaudeau in anticipation of him being the next coming of Toni Kukoc. We can laugh at people's foolish claims of Yao is a bust even after his WC showing.

But the interesting is in scouting, for me, not discussing smack. (As Miggidy said, smack exist...next discussion.) I have confidence that Rigaudeau is not showing Kukoc basic skills as advertised, and I'm confident Ginobili will never be ROY quality, even when he's not a rookie. I also had confidence that Yao was a star-to-be after seeing his CBA footage. The fun is in stating your scouting opinion as early as possible -- going on record without lying to yourself in a homey fashion. Sometimes you obstain for lack of info, but often you see something. And with overly hyped players, you generally can separate them from stardom early on.

We shall see. I guess had Mobley showed more class, yet still given his critique, this would never have been posted here, and I would have been the one to post it in the NBA Dish thread about Rigaudeau. But at the end of the day "garbage" comment or not, this still interests me as a validation of my own scouting report.

My scouting is: Rigaudeau is garbage (no better than Walt) versus his super inflated hype (point forward for a title contender). His dribbling is limited versus what NBA point forwards bring DAY ONE!! I can say that as a fan, and let you all watch the outcome of that take. Mobley shouldn't say that publicly, even if he thinks (like Phil Jackson) that smacks is useful tool of intimidation.

ps Cohen: To answer your question, my point in my first post is a good reason for *me* to trash overhyped Euro "garbage" when I see it. That is honestly how I wrote it, from my perspective that I thought he showed nothing and the journalist annoyed me with this continuation of bad hype I trash overhyped US "garbage" too. But, I never said it was a good reason to a professional ballplayer to do so.

16. sabonis

sabonis Contributing Member

Good argument. Personal hatred... yeah thats it, I hate Cuttino Mobley. Go with that.

STuart

17. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

It is official, HeyP does not "get it". :mad:

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

HP,

Sure, fair enough. I hope you do what you preach too. ;)

There you go. Now you understand why I insisted this thread was about Mobley, not Rigaudeau.

BTW, after I read your response to Cohen, now I understand you feelings better. ;)

Scouting games are cool. I have no objection to that. I still think that there's no need to get annoyed by the hypes if your takes about these players are correct. The truth will come in time. Thsoe who are right will get the bragging right. Those who are wrong will eat their own words.

19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

To me the main problem is the size of the blinders Cuttino Mobley wears. His game has serious holes in it, his basketball IQ makes me wish we could put Forrest Gump Jr on the floor.

Cuttino has seemed really pissy lately. He has argued more than usual about/with the refs.

I'd say he needs to take care of his own damn self out there on the floor but introspection doesn't seem to be his strong suit. And since he has a salary-cap-friendly contract, is well-liked off the court, and gives you 20 pts and 40 minutes a game (thus requiring even less coaching on the part of Rudy T.)...

It's bad enough from Cat, but Steve talks a lot of smack, too. OK, fine, smack-talking from NBA players, fine. But when the same players probably lead the leagues in dumbass-streetball mistakes, well, that's when it gets to be too much.

And Cat of all people should know that foreign rookies with no training camp and no time with their new teammates will not fare well right out of the gate. But, again, he's been pissy lately, and he's not good at finding the details in the big picture.

20. a la rockets

Sorry to disapoint you but i'm french,and what i ment is that i felt offended by his remarke while being none-American.
    I don't know(and hope not) if he was being xenophobic...

ALA