1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cat says Rigadeau is "Garbage"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MC Welk, Jan 23, 2003.

1. verse

verse Contributing Member

cuttino is a really good basketball player. he's just redundant on this team.

2. cujo

cujo Member

I can't believe Mobley said this after seeing this guy play just one game. Who knows if he is going to make a difference on the Mavs, but it was his first game. Mr Mobley, remember Yao. Please don't be a hippocrit. I'm sure the guy was nervous in his first NBA game. If you're gonna talk smack, at least beat the other team first. It just shows, some of the players on the Rockets really need to grow up.

3. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

He thinks he is a really good basketball player because he is pretty good basketball players. Averaging almost 19 ppg game for one of the better teams in the NBa would qualify him as "a really good basketball player". :rolleyes:

4. playahata

playahata Member

If any of these guys were that great they would have been in the league years ago. NBA teams have never shyed away from a talented available player. Rudy had the guy in years ago. This is all hype because of the multinational (Canada and Germany (unless you count Oliver St. Jean)) makeup of the Mavs. I'd like to see a Euro guard Cuttino. He couldn't

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Who is the ass here?

I say it's Cuttino Mobley and it is you.

How do you think does Boki feel when he hears that kind of comment from his teammate?

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He's got some nice skills, but he won't be an All-Star. If he played smart he could be.

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

HP,

It doesn't matter whether the media hyped up the foreigners. Mobley's comment is still pretty low.

1. How often do you here one player calling another's game "garbage"? I don't hear that even between the most fierce rivalries.

2. Talking smack after you lost by 19 points is simply stupid.

3. Adding the "American" comment at the end just add more fuel to the foreigners against Americans hype. For all it's worth, it's the American media that are doing the hyping. I have yet heard the foreigners say things derogative about American basketball. Why did Mobley (and maybe you) have to be so defensive?

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

It isn't classy to say the least. But it is the Mavs, whose coach talks smack with Francis on the court. The media going around the opposing team's lockerroom asking what our players think about a 1-8 performance by a 31 yr old...it's somewhat annoying.

We are not talking about hype surrounding the coming of Sabonis, or the hype surrounding a top 10 draft pick. We are talking about a guy whose Euro team is going bankrupt, so he has no team to play for right now, and wants to give the NBA a try before he retires.

big whup...

9. sabonis

sabonis Contributing Member

And yet, Cat's not even close to the levels of Stackhouse, Finley and Ray Allen. I love statistic-based arguments and statements defending statistic-based arguments that go "You really don't know anything about basketball... duh"

Just because you have good stats does not necessarily make you a great basketball player. Maybe one day you'll learn that. I've watched Cat play and he is a very capable scorer... sure. The other times, he seems to jack up a shot at the worst time, not at all in the flow of the offense, but theres no stats for that is there? Do you think Cat could lead a team anywhere, not like the aforementioned players... hes second fiddle, soon to be third, and should realize that... no stats on that either I believe.

There are more to the game than just stats, I know that one day you'll have an epiphany and realize that.

Well.. maybe.

STuart

10. BanginScrew

BanginScrew Member

Actually that's not true especially in Rigadeau's case. For the last 8-10 years he has been the best player on his team in Europe (Kinder/Virtus Bologna). He was also one of the highest paid players on his team (making several million dollars) and was a fan favorite. During his prime he was one of the best players in Europe. Why would you leave that? If he came to the NBA during his prime he would not only have been a backup but he would have also had to take a paycut.

The reason he's comming now is because his team in Europe is rebuilding and is no longer contending for a title. This is the perfect time for him to come to the NBA. He's still only 31 and even though he's no longer in his prime he's still a very good player (regardless of what Caturnover says).

As he gets more comfortable with the NBA and with the Mavs offense he will be a vital part to the Mavs rotation come playoff time.

How funny would it be to see Rigadeau hit a game winning shot in the playoffs over Caturnover.

Hey Caturnover, better start preparing those recipes for crow now.

11. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Wow! I have never read such BS before. So in your mind Cat cant do any right anyways. Funny how personal hatred for a player will prevent you from even seeing how stupid you sound.

12. heypartner

Easy,

<blockquote><hr>It doesn't matter whether the media hyped up the foreigners. <hr></blockquote>
    Well then we are talking about two different things here. It matters to me whenever the media overhypes any players, and Nellie is overhyping him, too, by calling him a point forward that they see running their offense. You seem to be pigeonholing my take. (Admit Easy, you like to pigeonhole everyone's opinion into nice whittle boxes. ;) ) I'm talking about why the media is hyping this guy as the second coming of Toni Kukoc, and asking our players what they think, like everyone in the league has their eyes on this new guy.

Sounds to me like Nachbar was politely saying the guy is probably over the hill and not a 6th man star point forward to be.

Have your "smack is classless" discussion all you want, but that is not my interest. My interest is seeing whether Nellie and the media are overhyping a 31 yr old. So to me, that <i>is</i> all that matters.

I like good, smart ball players, as much as I hate it when HS players like Quintel Woods are overhyped. The HS hype is noew being shared by the 27+ yr old Euro-veteran hype. They both annoy me. One is two raw with only athleticism, the other is like overstating the impact of Tyus Edney.

#32 heypartner, Jan 23, 2003
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2003
  13. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

so what are you saying Cat, that the dude cant ISO. :rolleyes:

14. heypartner

Texas Stoke,

He is being described by Nellie as an NBA point forward who will run their offense at times, so the guy better be able to dribble at least as good as Finley.

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

HP,

Don't take my words out of context. When I said "it doesn't matter whether the media hyped up the foreigners," I wasn't condoning the hype. I was saying that the hype didn't give Mobley any excuse to make classless comments like that. You, on the other hand, seemed to say that the hype somehow make Mobley's comment acceptable.

BTW, this thread isn't about media hype or about whether Mobley is a good player or about whether that French guy is good. It's about Mobley saying things he shouldn't have said, which put the Rockets in a bad light.

16. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

You know what? I'm glad that our guards have been trash-talking lately. I get <i>so</i> sick and tired of hearing Rudy praise opponent after opponent after Rockets losses. It's fine now and then, but sometimes it just gets old.

17. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

Not the most appropriate quote from Mobley, but it probably came right after the Mavs game, when he was not in a good mood. First the ref-job the Rockets had to deal with in San Antonio, then the awful performance against Dallas, who is a big rival of the Rockets.

Mobley couldn't have been happy to hear the question, "What do you think of Antone Rigadeau?" at that point, and for good reason. Rigadeau missed every shot, basically, and was not very impressive. I would have wanted to say, "He sucks", too. However, the way Mobley answered was not appropriate.

Stupid question to ask by a reporter, but Mobley has no excuse to answer in that fashion.

Either way, keep in mind the context that Mobley has not been the most happy person lately, so that likely had an affect on his answer.

18. Toast

Toast Member

Boki: Nice rip on Rigadeau yesterday, Cat.
    Mobley: Shut your hole and get me a towel, rookie.
    Boki: Yes sir.

19. RCKTBachar

RCKTBachar Member

I dont like it when Mobley bumps his gums, it comes across like he doenst back it up, he talks more than he walks.

Its like the intro to the Rockets games when clutch is alternating the Houston! Rockets! signs. Just no punch assosciated there, seems senseless.....

Not to mention I simply hate the "Drummer boys at the games" how annoying. IF they ever come into my section and start that junk I will pelt them with peanuts. The entire introduction is WEAK!

20. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

I am too lazy to read all of the replies to the trash talking Cuttino made about Rigadeau. But the best trash talking by far came from the Rockets TV annoucer, Bill Worrell. After Rigadeau bricked about 5 shots straight, he said Rigadeau? More like RIGA-DON'T!!!

Ok, you had to hear it live to be funny but it was the ultimate trash talking I have heard from Bill & Calvin in years.