1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cat on best dam Sports 5/30

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DCballer, May 30, 2002.

Tags:
  1. DCballer

DCballer Member

Just saw that Cat will be on the Best Damn Sports Show tonight to talk about Yao.

2. hoopgod13

hoopgod13 Contributing Member

what time is that coming on? midnight or something?

3. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

hoopgod13,

Maybe 8 pm.

Mango

4. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Short recap of Mobley's chat:

Cat says he thinks the Lakers will win it all.

He says he and Francis have talked about the #1 pick and would like to see it traded for someone established like Lamar Odom.

He says that having Odom, the playmaker, on the team would help the team with rebounding and fast breaking as Francis and Mobley would both run the wings hard. When asked about having enough balls on the team to include Odom, Mobley said that the thing to remember about Odom is that he is a playmaker who doesn't demand shots and will find a way to get 14 shots a game through putbacks etc. He emphasized the fact that the team lost most games by less than 7 points and that Odom would make up that difference.

Cuttino thinks Odom will fit in perfectly at the 3 with Griffin as the 4, Mobley the 2 and Francis the 1. Also, he thinks it is disloyal to even think about drafting Jay Williams. He said that drafting him would be "backstabbing" Francis and such a lack of loyalty is a problem in professional sports today.

5. New Jack

New Jack Member

Wasn't it just a few weeks ago that Cuttino was in favor of drafting Ming?

Now suddenly after a chat with Francis, he wants Odom instead.

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Looks like Cat doesn't really care about having Ming unlike what he said previously.
    Cato and Collier won't cut it at the 5.
    Both Francis and Mobley are young guys so I'm not surprised that they would want a player who could help them out in the backcourt like Odom but we need a 5 more than a 3.
    Ming is a big gamble,but the Rockets need to get a closer look at him before making their final decision.

7. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hmm...odd indeed.

You would think Cat wouldn't let so much out of the bag...or is he letting anything out of the bag at all? Is Cuttino a lot smarter than we all think?

Cuttino is a fairly brash person, and he doesn't seem like the smoke and mirrors type.

Things are making no sense. I bet this thread reaches 50+ posts.

8. PhiSlammaJamma

My guess is that this is a political move on Mobley's part and nothing more, but at the same time it's impossible to deny that things are happening with Odom. I think that's pretty clear now.

9. X-PAC

X-PAC Contributing Member

Heh. Cat and Steve are beginning to annoy me with these stupid statements on tv. Whatever happened to being confident and faithful in the decisions managment makes? This Cuttino and Steve alliance is ridiculous. Why don't those two go get hitched? These guys need to understand that the NBA is a business. Odom is a good player that would solve the problem at the three but I think there are better opportunities out there with more dependable talent. Right now crackheads would kill the chemistry on this team. The status quo is too critical to take a risk like this.

10. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

If we had Steve, Cat and Lamar Odom, we'll have the most mature team in the league:rolleyes:

11. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

If we had a center that could rebound, the guards would not have to worry about the defensive rebound and as a consequence get better fast break opportunities.

Cat should shut his trap!

12. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

More over-analysis and random musings:

1. Cat said Griffin is a 4. Hah.
    2. Why did Cat mention Griffin's name at the 4, rather than 2 veterans: Kenny Thomas or Maurice Taylor. You would think Griffin would have to blow them out of the water to be handed the starting job.
    3. Doc Rocket mentioned possible scenarios for Odom without giving #1, but couldn't be specific. Time to come out of hiding, Cat let the cat out of the bag!

So much for "Jay" Williams.

They're about to air the segment again from Mobley (or maybe this is the rerun?) I'll edit with my comments.

Edit:
    REALLY interesting. Worth catching whenever they re-air. I think JeffB got the bulk of it.

The whole conversation switched from Yao Ming to Lamar Odom. Cuttino said flat out that he and Steve had been talking about it (Troy was right?), and they wanted to get someone "proven" for the pick. The reporters said Lamar Odom, and he said "Lamar Odom". He said Odom could fill the 3, we lost 51 games, but 40-something were by 7 or less points, and Odom could make that difference. He said Odom has never been selfish, so shots aren't a problem. He harped on Odom being a playmaker.

As for Ming, who was supposed to be the topic-Mobley said Shaq said he's going to throw Ming them 'bows...and soon the whole topic switched, I guess implying that Ming is a long project.

My favorite part- "When Lamar brings the ball up, and me and Steve run the wings....it's over."

I must admit Mobley does conjure up some interesting images. If we think Wilcox/Hilario/Borchardt can play center, and will be there at #8, it's certainly worth the thought...

#12 NIKEstrad, May 30, 2002
    Last edited: May 30, 2002
  13. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

Maybe Cat is quoting the company line so they can pressure Chi into making a trade and we still get Ming.

If we make people think that we are going to trade the #1 to some other team besides Chi that will in turn take Jay Williams.
    That may motivate Big Bad Jerry off his sizable duff and make some offers to make sure that we either trade with Chi so they can guarantee them getting Jay or just make the selection of Ming and they can draft Jay.

I would consider Curry and their #2 for our #1 + filler.

Now if could swing a trade for Odom without coughing up the #1 well.........

Ming + Odom = damn good offseason

14. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

trade mobley

15. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Everyone should give more respect to the opinions of Rockets players, specifically our two star players. I love to see that our key guys are being vocal in what they think will make the team better.

16. tozai

tozai Member

A few points
    1. I don't think Mobley was trying to be deceitful in any way, so don't misinterpret and bring all this conspiracy theory **** into it.
    2. Bringing Jay would be disrespectful, plus I don't think Williams is all people make him out to be, but that's a whole other post. He is not a distributing point guard, he's a shooting point guard, but anyways....
    3.Eddie is(will be) a 4, He keeps saying he'll be a 3 but he will never cut it with his lack of quickness for that position and ballhandling. Once he bulks up he'll move in a little more hopefully, but I think he'll always have a tendency for 3 over 2 points
    4.Obviously the Rockets are looking at Odom, but just because Cuttino and Steve have this so-called "alliance" doesn't mean they have THAT much a say in who the team picks. They should have some say however
    5. Cato isn't as bad as you all make him out to be. I mean he's is overpaid and has a lot of work, but he has shown great improvement. I think you all are still thinking 2 years ago. With the #15, or maybe #8 with a trade we could get another decent center
    6.Yao is not going to make an instant impact, period. 82 games against the toughest and most physical players...He won't be able to handle it, sorry. Whether he'll eventually be good is pure speculation, but next season is a FACT.
    7.Nothing is certain until the season starts...I'm sure even on June 25th we'll be unsure what's happening, unless that trade rumor really is announced after the Finals as Old Man Rock said

17. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

-So suddenly Im supposed to believe that
    a. Steve and Cuttino are going to start fastbreaking because a "proven" Small Foward could be in the mix. PLEASE! Those two dont know what a fastbreak is.
    b. Suddenly, without Francis' involvement, Cat has changed his mind about getting Ming? NOT. I say to hell with both of them. Im not the biggest Rudy T fan, but Ill trust him and Carrol one million times more than those two when it came to building a team.
    c. Lamar will be the one bringing the ball up the court. NO. I understand he has handling skills, but I GUARANTEE you that if Francis is on the court, he will (and should) be running the break or the offense for the most part.
    d. That Odom is going to want to get the bulk of his shots through "put backs". Please. What freaking world is Cat living on. Lamar is going to want to be a premier player who gets a max deal. Name me the Max deal players who make that kind of money on put backs.
    e. That Odom is a proven player. Since when? Yes I like his ability and upside, but what are you basing the fact that he "could" make up 40 losses by 7 points or less (I know Im exaggerating). Odom is one step away from a very long sit out. I promise you this. Even though Odom was busted twice for smoking, he is NOT done with it. Not yet at least. Maybe once he matures he will.

Finally Id like to give a big ol "Shut the Hell up" to Mobley (and possibly Francis) on this. It isnt their place to try and push the team into making deals to accomodate their wishes. You want to talk about disloyalty and backstabbing Mobley. Ask Mo Taylor and Kenny T how they feel about you not including them as the Current #1 and #2 options at the power foward position. If this team can Draft Williams and use it as bait to greatly improve this team, then Im all for it. Heck if they feel they needed to draft Williams, because they didnt feel comfy with Francis back and forthing on his commitment to Houston, then to be honest with you, Id agree with that too.

GOD. Not only do we have the most immature, selfish ball players on the court, we have them off the court too.

18. New Jack

New Jack Member

I agree with Dennis. I just can't believe Cuttino would go out there and say the things he did unless he was told to by Rockets management. I mean what happens if the Rockets decide to draft Ming and keep him? Is Ming going to take it personal that Cat wanted to trade him for Odom?

19. XBeams

XBeams Member

I dont see how it's in insult to even discuss drafting Jay Williams with the number 1. I mean With Stevie's migranes and his injury prone self, Jay Williams could fill in for him while he's gone. The Rockets record without Steve last year was like 20-2? or some thing like that but i do know they lost 15 straight without him. And cant the Rockets go small like they do with moochie? Play Steve and Jay at the pg and sg and Cuttino at the Sf..that would be nice.

20. AllenLeavell

AllenLeavell Member

He should just shutup and smile. Whatever Rudy and CD
    will work out. The Clipjoint will see this only give us Odom
    and that #12 pick that will suck . We need that 8and12 to do some more damage. To try to get another quality big man , try and package those picks with the 15 to get a top five pick