1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

CAT must be punished by JVG

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NBAsticker, Jan 19, 2004.

Tags:
  1. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

That's an amazing quote coming from you...

2. haven

haven Member

I really don't see how people can deny that Cat ignores Yao in the post sometimes when Yao is quite open.

Sometimes, Cat can't get him the ball. Sometimes, Yao doesn't have position. Sometimes, the entry pass is well-defended. But if those are the only explanations... then Yao is defended much better, for some odd reason, whenever Cat is the one that's supposed to throw the entry pass :rolleyes:.

But it seems pretty obvious that a few times every game... Cat just doesn't want to throw the ball down low, despite that being the play that's been called.

Take from it what you will. Say that Cat, as a good player, has every right to occasionally buck the system. Say that it's bad, and he shouldn't do it... but it's not the end of the world. Say that it's a very low % of the time.

Offer mitigation all you want. But it does occasionally happen. I have no clue if it's just that Mobley is being selfish... or that he specifically resents Yao.

3. derrock

derrock Contributing Member

I saw the play again and I both agree and disagree with you. Looks like Cat passed the ball right when Yao did a little spin move and finally got in front of his defender. I missed it b/c I kept watching Yao working on position. But that's my point: If you see Yao working hard down there, don't give up on the entry pass right away. A big guy working hard down low will either get position or have a foul called on the defender. StupidMonikor is right though, I should be more pissed off at Taylor. I guess I just got caught up in the Mobley bashing :D

My point is: You want to reward Yao's aggression and not make it seem futile.

4. buddry

buddry Member

I can admit that I have seen Mobley completely ignore Yao when Yao had the guy posted up in good position. He didn't even give him a look. I yelled at the TV on that one.

5. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I do agree...if your big man is working as hard as he was working in that play....you do want to make sure he gets his just rewards...No doubt in my mind at all.

If Mo would have waited just a split second longer, he would have had an opening to get the ball to Yao..he gave up too quickly and went back to Mobes to see if he could do something with it...unfortunately, the refs blew the whistle and it became a moot point.

My main point of wanting to use this play as an example is that both Cat and Mo were obviously looking to Yao and waiting for him to get position so they could pass to him....just look at where they were looking...if either one of them had an inclination to take the shot themselves...they would have started facing down their defender in preperation for taking the shot..

I think if people would watch the interaction between the players during the games...they would see there are more factors involved instead of just "he ignored him"....sometiimes the opening just isnt there but for a split second...and to make the pass when they are unsure if it is safe to do so more often than not results in a turnover.

6. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Where did this thread come from? Cuttino has been playing well, and a thread pops up saying he's ignoring Yao and trade him? You mean the same Cuttino that constantly is talking to Yao and helping him learn where he should be on the floor?

7. haven

haven Member

So, you're saying that you've *really* never seen Cat ignore an obviously wide-open Yao, then take a stupid shot?

If you're missing such things, watch the first five minutes of the 3rd quarter of the Knicks-Rockets game again. Both steve and cat do it. It was particularly stupid since both of them were playing poorly... and they were essentially waving off someone who was playing great.

Cat's been playing very well this year. However, that doesn't relieve him of having to play smart, unselfish team ball.

8. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Worst thread of the week...or atleast one of the worst.

Cat has been playing good ball as of lately. Even last night he had 5 assists, which is good for a 2 guard.