1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Casspi gone as part of Asik trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Audioout

Audioout Member

I remember way back Morey wanted Gee. Sounds like one of those underrated players Morey has coveted for a long time ala Lowry when we got him.

2. nemac

nemac Member

Rockets got the pick. They probably could use Asik this year since Bosh is not coming and that's why they made the move, but can't back out of deal.

Can someone post this trade grade..? Thanks in advance
    http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/stor...r-ariza-sign-trade-deal?ex_cid=espnapi_public

3. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Omri was streaky, but I would hardly call him trash. He was a min contract player coming out of dysfunctional cellar dwelling teams that still managed to get 16-20 minutes off the bench. He was an extremely low risk signing and no one expected him to do much more. My only reservation were the COFs - but there weren't so many or that bad. :)

4. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Omri had good stretches in a few games, but he never seemed to quite fit in Houston. Seemed like a very nice guy. I wish him well.

6. fluors

fluors Member

Oh, I agree with you 100%; Casspi is a better player than Gee. I know The Pelicans sent Gee and Hopson to the Rockets ($4.35M in non-guaranteed salary) but I doubt either will remain a Rocket for long. In my opinion (based on his stats) Gee is not a good fit for the Rockets; he can't play defense and he can't shoot threes. Hopson is an unknown SG with only 2 nba games under his belt. Even though the statistic is meaningless (since it's based on just two nba game) but I doubt Morey, McHale, and Rockets fans will be impressed by the -6.35 PER he posted in those two games.

I know Rockets fans are ambivalent about the off-season so far but Pelican fans are happy to receive the 6th best defender in the league (Asik) and a useful backup SF (Casspi). Finally, if Marc Stein is correct, the Asik deal is all but complete and is awaiting league approval. I still don't understand how trading Gee, Hopson, and Ely (totaling $5.8M) frees up the $6.3M needed to fit Asik into the Pelican's available cap space, but I guess we'll know the answer when the full details are announced.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Exactly what I would say. Better than Garcia.

Not overpaid, solid production off the bench just was not as good as Delfino for the Rockets. Don't blame him.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Hearing: Omri Casspi most likely gets waived by Pelicans after Asik three-way trade is completed Tuesday. Casspi then gets to pick new home</p>&mdash; Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/statuses/488730313271803904">July 14, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

9. Oracle

Oracle Member

That's funny. The Pelicans do not have small forwards nor do they have cap space. Casspi with his vet min deal does not hurt their cap. Never mind. Just for fun I predict that Casspi ends up in San Antonio, the best environment for his Euro style basketball.

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Suggested this might happen in another thread. Wouldn't be shocked if he ended up back here.

11. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

You kidding me?? Why you think we included him?

12. daytripper

daytripper Member

The last CBA changed the rules on that. Casspi can't resign with the Rox for a year.

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Yep just read about that. Forgot they did that.

14. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

I remember when houston signed him last year there were some reports that basically said he was done as an NBA player if he didn't get that contract. He might not get picked up by another team and instead go play ball in Europe.

15. Oracle

Oracle Member

He would certainly make much more money in Europe. However, after his year in Houston, he is now ranked probably around 250 in the NBA. If he agrees to play for veterans minimum, he will be picked up by a cap choked team. There are several of those.

16. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Thank Jehovah!

17. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

I'd be happy if we could somehow pry Ryan Anderson from them. Perfect 4 for us.

18. Hmm

Hmm Member

Pelicans are set down low.... Anthony Davis and Omer Asik... pretty good..

19. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Casspi to the Mavs?

20. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

casspi was only half decent once every other 8 games..