1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Casserly Gone...

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Stevierebel, May 9, 2006.

1. Buck Turgidson

Guessing McNair genuinely likes Casserly & doesn't want to throw him under the bus in public. Mentioned how he'd be glad to help, if he can, Cass get the NFL gig. It is pretty transparent though.

Casserly's gone now, we knew he'd be gone. New management, new hope. I don't think this offseason could have turned out much better than it has. Let's move forward.

2. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3854376.html

May 10, 2006, 4:00PM
    Casserly officially out as Texans GM

By MEGAN MANFULL
    Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle
    Charley Casserly resigned after six years as the general manager of the Texans today, ending weeks of speculation regarding his future with the organization.

Casserly, who joined the franchise in 2000, had spent more than a month deflecting questions regarding his future plans. He and Texans owner Bob McNair each said repeatedly that they preferred instead to focus on the NFL draft for the past few weeks.

With the draft finally behind them, Casserly and McNair sat down to a meeting Wednesday. Afterward, the organization announced Casserly was ending his tenure in Houston.

"Contrary to some reports, I have not been fired," Casserly said. "Those are untrue. I could have stayed. But there are other things I want to pursue."

Casserly's focus is now on trying to replace Art Shell in the league offices in New York as the vice president of football operations and development. The position is currently being filled on an interim basis by John Beake, a longtime club and league executive.

"Charley has an interest in the opening in the league office," McNair said. "I called (the NFL's chief operating officer) Roger Goodell to talk to him on Charley's behalf.

"I can't thank Charley enough for all he's done. He has not been fired. Those reports are false. When Charley and I first talked about it (an extension), he indicated to me that he was interested in a job at the league office and it never went beyond that."

Some of the leading candidates to replace Casserly are expected to be Rick Smith, Denver Broncos assistant general manager, Reggie McKenzie, Green Bay Packers director of pro personnel, and Ron Hill, former personnel director for the Denver Broncos, Jacksonville Jaguars, and Atlanta Falcons.

"I don't have the list, but I'll probably get around it in the next week or two," McNair said. "I want to talk to (coach) Gary (Kubiak) and get his ideas about the position."

Casserly's future had been in question since McNair hired Dan Reeves as a consultant Dec. 12 without discussing it with Casserly. Reeves is no longer with the team, but as soon as he was hired speculation swirled that Casserly would resign after the draft.

Despite the shadow of uncertainty during the past few months, Casserly - along with Kubiak and vice president of administration Dan Ferens, the Texans' chief contract negotiator - put together what appears to be the Texans' most successful offseason. They landed a number of quality veterans prior to the draft, and then shocked everyone by choosing defensive end Mario Williams with the No. 1 overall pick.

Ever since 2000, Casserly has played a major role in the organization. He was a part of the coaching search that eventually landed the team Dom Capers, and then the one that later chose Kubiak. Casserly has also been in charge of every draft in which the Texans have participated, and spearheaded the Texans' free agent acquisitions and trades.

Casserly made his NFL debut with the Washington Redskins in 1977 as an unpaid intern under Hall of Fame coach George Allen. He spent 23 years in the Redskins' organization before joining the Texans.

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

so he quit for a job he doesn't have yet?

I am resigned to just see how this draft and off season plays out, I really wish media member would quit saying its successful. we don't yet either way. If it is a success, than I guess they knew what they were doing.

4. famicom

famicom Member

Funny, when I read the title on the chronicle I thought it read as

"Casserly expected to re-sign during talks with McNair"

Which just baffled me, until I read the official announcement.

5. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I'm guessing he was given the option of quitting or being fired.

6. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

was more transparent when CC later said something like, "well, we weren't sure when to do this. december or now."

8. T-2

T-2 Contributing Member

9. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

So what the hell are you b****ing about now? Capers? Gone. Casserly? Gone. Ineffective 3-4 defense? Gone. Conservative, unimaginative offense? Gone. Drafts that ignore the offensive line? Gone. The Texans were competitive every year but last year, hence the changes. They will be a competitive team this year. I am sure that will mollify you...

10. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

The Happy Dance is ON.

11. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

In all fairness, we won't know how good/bad CC did until we see the players under a new coaching staff.

12. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

The Cat?? Damn, that's a name I haven't seen in a while...when did he come back?

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

They do it every year. All drafts in every sport are rated before the players ever see the field, court or ice. Then they are re-evaluated after the picks actually do something. I'm not sure what the problem is.

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

the problem is they don't know as I already stated. but thanks for the history lesson.

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Of course they don't know, they never do. That doesn't stop people from making judgements on the draft based on the information we have now. Has this always bothered you?

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

no I'm just b****ing to make a point.

17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

That's what I figured.

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

actually I'm not but I just thought I would go ahead and make our point for you since you say the same thing in every thread.

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Right back atcha. Thanks for making this personal though.

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

because you weren't about to complain about me complaining. :rolleyes: