1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Casserly Gone...

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Stevierebel, May 9, 2006.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

the only reason I said that is because I am tired of the we are whining argument, trust in the team. that's not an argument. If you want to disagree with my opinion fine, but don't tell me to sit back and enjoy.

let me reiterate this, a lame duck gm and a first year head coach ran the most important draft in this team's short history. I'm sorry, but that's a little shaky. I'm down with kubiak, but he is a rookie, coach.

2. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

well i guess three games would be an improvement. i've got my fingers crossed.

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Again, why in the hell did the Texans wait until after the draft?

4. msn

msn Member

I hear you--that's why I cracked on both sides.

I call out whining all the time when it's just whining. But I don't (or at least I don't intend to) go so far as to call any dissenting opinion whining. In the same way, I often use my noggin and think through issues, and end up agreeing with management. That does not make me a "sheep".

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

This theory makes sense. From page 1.

6. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

The Texans didn't randomly draft a QB this year for no apparent reason, hence I KNOW Casserly wasn't in charge.

(Don't bring up 2005, or you'll ruin my joke.)

7. jtotheb

jtotheb Contributing Member

It makes good sense. The problem is that some people just have to have a problem so they can have a problem.

p, just because I am in a "sit back and wait" mode does not make me a "sheep". But, you cannot imply that the Texans as a franchise are spiraling out of control (yes, I am paraphrasing). It's one thing to ask "why", but you are just assuming that the end is upon us just because they've made a few decisions here lately that don't exactly sit well with you. I, on the other hand, am going along with it for the following reasons:

1) I can't change what they do, no matter how much I disagree with it.

2) There just happen to be a few people in charge of the Texans that have probably forgotten more about football than most of us will ever know.

3) This may be a newsflash to you, but THE FREAKING SEASON HASN'T STARTED YET. Now granted, it may go to hell in a handbasket pretty quickly....but then again....it may not.

8. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

shocking. positively shocking.

9. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Good luck Casserly...I can't believe he was still apart of the draft, other than being a company man and taking the blame for Mario Williams...Which, we all know it wasn't just his decision, but a good guy to take all of the blame...

He did do some bone-head moves, but I can guarantee you it wasn't all him...but with the GM title, it's all his fault...

10. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When this rumor was originally reported before the draft, I remember some publication mentioning that this practice was not really all that unusual. Many teams in the past have held on to their GM through the draft so as not to let their draft strategy leave with the GM. Makes sense, even though I'm sure these guys are sworn to some sort of secrecy.

I would try to go find the article...but I'm lazy.

11. updawg

updawg Member

good riddance.
    I still think they should have picked Vince, just joking

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

again even if the practice is usual, I still don't think they should have left the draft in the hands of a rookie head coach.

I'm not complaining to complain, I'm not one of the thousands who have complained about williams. I like that pick. I just believe they haven't handled this situation well. last night on the news they were saying that from now on they probably won't have a gm and just have a player personnel guy. a guy who is already in the organization. well if that's your guy, and he's there, then let charlie walk.

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

yeah, that's baffling. seriously. i don't know how charlie made it a day past the day after the last game of the season.

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I tend to agree with The Cat's theory. I don't really have a problem with what they've done. By most accounts, they had a pretty successful draft. I'd at least wait to see what the product on the field is before I start to criticize how it was handled. If it results in a better football team, who cares?

15. MadMax

maybe he redeemed himself. i don't know who was doing the picking. but after the last few drafts, there's no way i'd let charlie near the decision maker room.

16. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

If I was a business man, about to submit a bid on a few contracts, and had prepared my proposals with our approach, estimates and the like, I don't think I'd fire my vice president with time to hook up with the competition and provide them with a few insights that might give them an opportunity to adjust their proposals and gain an edge (however small), see.

...and that's whether I have a rookie or seasoned replacement for the guy. It just does me no good for him to be floating around.

No one could have stopped us from picking Williams, but there were other picks that I'd rather not give Tennessee, Jacksonville and Indianaopolis an opportunity to know how we rated the remaining players on the board.

Also, knowing the pick of Williams would be disappointing to many, it didn't hurt to have Casserly's face on television knowing we were going to terminate him in a few days. Doesn't fly with serious fans, but for the casual observer it looks like Casserly was fired for the Williams pick.

And to say this was Kubiak's draft or Casserly's draft isn't accurate in my opinion. There is a team of scouts, player evaluators, coaches, etc. working to rate the players before draft day. I, personally, doubt Casserly had much weight in the discussions, but I doubt it comes down to Kubiak's hunch about a guy either.

The Texans staff has had poor drafts. There has been turnover in the personnel responsible for making those decisions. Time will tell if this group will have had better results.

17. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

There is a 3 PM press conference at Reliant.

18. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

It's going to be live on TV - on the NFL network.

19. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

No you're not. You're just trying to be a trouble-maker.

;)

20. MadMax

how full of crap is the whole, "we made this decision today" stuff? give mea break.