1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Casserly Gone...

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Stevierebel, May 9, 2006.

1. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

We all expected this...from profootballtalk.com

CASSERLY OUT IN HOUSTON

A league source tells us that the Texans and G.M. Charley Casserly officially have parted ways after a six-year relationship, which preceded by more than two full years the team's official arrival to the NFL.

For now, we don't know whether the move is being characterized as a resignation or a termination. Our guess is that it will be described to the media as voluntary.

Several weeks back, we reported that Casserly would be fired after the draft. Our report prompted a strong denial from the team and from owner Bob McNair. Our prediction at the time was that all parties were hoping to preserve the appearance that Casserly's ultimate departure was not in any way forced.

His name has been mentioned as a potential replacement for Art Shell in the league office, but we've heard that the rumors of Casserly's candidacy for that specific position trace not to the Park Avenue, but to Casserly himself.

And based on things we're hearing it now appears that the Texans will make a run at Broncos assistant G.M. Rick Smith before moving on to other candidates. Some league insiders believe that the Broncos would never give Smith permission to leave, and other league insiders believe that the Texans don't (or at least shouldn't) want Smith given his close relationship with new head coach Gary Kubiak.

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

if they fired casserly after reeves and letting him be in the draft room I will really start to question mcnair's leadership. hopefully for this organization's sake it was voluntary.

3. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

It really is hard to believe you'd let someone have a say in your draft if you knew they were on the way out. Regardless of who's decision it is. Maybe his opinion didn't matter and McNair and Kubiak were making the draft decisions? (Hopefully more Kubiak than McNair).

4. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

could the texans please give us a reason to believe that they have even the slightest idea what they are doing?

5. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

Any ideas on whos gonna replace him ?

6. msn

msn Member

Wow. I mean, wow.

All year long we whine for Casserly to be gone, and now that he is, the only responses are "the Texans don't know what they're doing."

Perhaps we don't know what we want?

7. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

8. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

No...that couldn't be it!

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Yeah, I'm not sure what all the outrage is. From all accounts, this was Kubiak's draft - not Casserly's.

We all wanted him gone. We all knew he was going to be gone. Now he's gone. So, what's the problem again? :confused:

10. moligity

moligity Contributing Member

^^^^ crybabies like to cry.

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

again the problem was he was involved with the draft on his way out. I highly doubt he wasn't . He was also involved in signing free-agents. tell me this since you are so :confused: , what's the point of keeping him around this long if he didn't have any involvement.

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

i mean you can say what you want, but why would a gm and team part ways AFTER a draft and free agency. it makes 0 sense.

13. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

The draft is a year long scouting process, and general managers compile lists on their own through their own observations and not through looking at a couple of ESPN Insider lists like so many of the internet's "draft experts" do. It's not that simple, but people sadly don't realize that and throw hissy fits when a supposed fourth round talent falls to the bottom of the sixth round and their team doesn't take him.

Anyway, as I understand it, if a general manager were to leave... all those evaluations would leave with him. If that's the case, and I've read it is in multiple articles, it's probably smarter to let him go before the start of a new draft cycle instead of letting him go midway through the cycle (January), starting over from scratch and possibly risking secrets getting leaked.

Again, I'm not sure that's how it is, but that's the logic I've heard before. And, if true, it makes a lot of sense.

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I understand the draft is a long process, but when an employee is leaving an organization they are not responsible for any decisions that affect that organizations future. basically now you have a draft (that included the number one pick) that no one in that organization is responsible for.

15. The Cat

I think they made it very clear, particularly with the number one pick, that the player selected would be the one Kubiak wanted.

16. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I'm glad I don't have to see him on the news any more. I complained about it last night when they interviewed him on the Smith signing.

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

so they made it clear when every interview I heard on the decision was with casserly. or was it made clear when casserly was the front man saying it had nothing to do with signability, after it was made clear when they brought him in that they said signability could come into play.

you're right, they made it abundantly clear. how could I think casserly had anything to do with this draft?

18. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

wow, i mean wow! our track record as an organization sucks. what do we want? how about a competitive football team.

19. The Cat

I'm not saying Casserly wasn't a factor at all. Certainly, he was. All I'm saying is that he wasn't the only factor... it's not as simple as there being no one in the organization accountable for the pick now that he's gone.

20. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How about Dan Reeves?