1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cassell to sign with the Celtics on Tuesday

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Dave_78, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Didn't see this posted.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3274465

2. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

I'm guessing we didn't put up much of a fight for him, which i don't understand. I'd love to have Sam finishing out his career for the Rox and I'm positive all Rockets fans would agree. ET come home! (I know, that's wrong)

Good place to post this too...Vince Carter dunking over a 7 foot frenchman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieXETZVLJa4

3. mtran

mtran Member

...and the old get older.

4. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

So he doesn't qualify to play for the playoffs right?

5. weakbomb

weakbomb Member

Sam Cassell finally signed with Boston Celtics. Can he carry Celtics to championship? no:)

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

this should put the celtics to the top of the east.. which means making them better than detroit.

i hope sam makes it to the finals..
    they'll have to show his OTHER TWO FINALS APPEARANCES!!!

;)

7. foodworld

foodworld Member

I love Sam-I-Am's game. When it comes to grind-it-out basketball, I'll take him any day over Eddie House-- and it's Eddie, not Rajon Rondo, that Sam is replacing.

8. tinman

Supporting Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3276773
    Cassell to attend Celtics shootaround, but not expected to face Pistons

Associated Press

Updated: March 4, 2008, 4:48 PM ET

WALTHAM, Mass. -- The Boston Celtics hope they have the last piece of the championship puzzle with the signing of veteran Sam Cassell after he passes a physical Tuesday.

The Celtics announced in the afternoon in a news release that they had officially signed Cassell. Terms of the agreement were not released.

Cassell will attend the Celtics shootaround Wednesday morning, but isn't expected to play when they host the Detroit Pistons on Wednesday night.

"I'm in no hurry," coach Doc Rivers said after practice Tuesday. "We'll have some time to work on things in the next few days."

Cassell, 38, averaged 12.8 points for the Los Angeles Clippers this season before negotiating his long-rumored exit. He is expected to back up starting point guard Rajon Rondo and play some off-guard.

"Since I got traded here last summer, Sam was excited about this team's potential," said guard Ray Allen, noting the deal will take pressure off Rondo.

"Sam will give Rondo another gear," Allen said.

Cassell is expected to take minutes from Eddie House, who has been backing up Rondo all season.

Rivers said he is still unsure when recently signed forward P.J. Brown will make his debut.

"Sam may play before P.J.," Rivers said.

The Pistons trail the Celtics by 3½ games in the race for the NBA's best record.

Although Cassell couldn't wait to get out of Los Angeles, which is last in the Pacific Division, he will be missed.

"His loss takes away leadership to our team. He has been a class act to this team," Clippers forward Corey Maggette said. "He is an all-around good guy. He knows the game."

Maggette said Cassell's former teammates understood his desire to go to a contender.

"This is Sam's 15th season in the NBA and it is about business," Maggette said. "He put himself in position where he can go to a team that can win a championship. Boston is one of the elite teams in the league."

In a related move, the Celtics assigned rookie guard Gabe Pruitt to the Utah Flash in the NBA's D-League.

9. mtran

mtran Member

it would be nice to see chauncey billups and sam cassell go at it in the Leastern conference finals.

10. supafrumpy

supafrumpy Contributing Member

the pistons @ celtics game is heating up...its getting pretty damn physical out there...quite the rubber match.

11. supafrumpy

supafrumpy Contributing Member

yeah I guess it would, but billups is bigger, younger, faster, stronger...

but sam I am is sam I am...I dunno :D

12. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Exactly what I was thinking. They are more similar than many people think and both great guards.

13. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

Except Chauncey is more like what Cassell was for KG during his MVP season that Cassell is right now.

14. tinman

Supporting Member